Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me about CT?

Can anyone tell me about CT?

Old Oct 9th 2008, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

nannycara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone tell me about CT?

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Sounds wonderful! I'm pretty open, so feel free to fill me in on any of your favourite parts of the state. I am interested in being within an hours driving distance of NY, but not essential. I like what I've read about the Litchfield area, but again, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your response!
I used to live in Darien CT. Which is about an hour from NYC. Beautiful town. Houses cost Millions (I was a nanny, that's how comes I lived there). There is quite a big ex-pat community around there. Be prepared to buy a season ticket to get onto the beach. I also had to live with 2-4 feet of snow every winter.

Cara
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Thank you all for the info!

Penguinsix, I'm not looking for a retirement place, but somewhere that has good schools and nice places we can walk and do outdoorsy things. It's possible that we might need a commuter place, but that depends on our employment situation. I love the small town NE feel.

Tonrob, I love snow and enjoy skiing. Where are the ferry towns?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

My verdict after ten years of CT is that it's basically an American version of Surrey, with the addition of some coastline and some rundown urban cent[re/er]s...for some reason I'm equating Bridgeport to a really nasty version of Woking...
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
My verdict after ten years of CT is that it's basically an American version of Surrey, with the addition of some coastline and some rundown urban cent[re/er]s...for some reason I'm equating Bridgeport to a really nasty version of Woking...
I visited Surrey and Woking back in 1987! Stayed with a friend there in West Byfleet. I loved it!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think you're right about Hepburn. I guess 1/2 hour of freeway driving isn't "close", but I still don't think it's too bad. I'm used to things being an hour away on the freeway. lol

No, it isn't bad at all. Just that a 1/2 hour drive from one city to another doesn't mean that the gangs and criminals of one city are on the doorstep of the other city. That was what this was in reference to.

I like Connecticut. Having worked there, played there and shopped there over the years, I have always enjoyed its close proximity to my living area. As a kid we always went to visit an Aunt who lived in West Haven each summer and I remember the fun we had at the amusement park.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:58 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
A 25 to 35 minute car ride is not close by anyone's standard that I know of.
ive driven that long to go to a garage sale
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:07 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Thank you all for the info!

Penguinsix, I'm not looking for a retirement place, but somewhere that has good schools and nice places we can walk and do outdoorsy things. It's possible that we might need a commuter place, but that depends on our employment situation. I love the small town NE feel.

Tonrob, I love snow and enjoy skiing. Where are the ferry towns?
New London has ferries to Long Island and Block Island. As this part of New England is quite small then on the MA border where we live we're only a couple of hours from ferries to Martha's Vineyard, and Provincetown too.

Shedloads of skiing option too. I don't ski myself but there are people from work who'll go to a floodlit slope at the end of the day for a few hours!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

leviramsey will become famous soon enough

The truest song ever written about Connecticut:

Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ and the Four Hornsmen of the Apocalypse
We live in the dullest state
Package stores all close at eight
Malls are full of optometrists
And restaurants we hate
Swimming across Lake Quassapaug
Stealing makeup, catching frogs
Cutting our feet on broken bottles
As we wade in the Shepaug
It’s true for horses, cows and dogs…

Connecticut’s for ****ing
That’s all there is to do.
I love to listen to classic rock
and have sex with you.

Doing hole shots at the mall
Writing Ozzy on a wall
Watch the corn get tall
There’s nothing else to do at all.

Goin’ where we always go
Doin’ what we always do
Waitin’ to turn into the people
We are bound to turn into.
What else do other people do?

It’s the Nutmeg state
If we can’t afford to buy antiques
then we just copulate

And Massachusetts too
I want to climb up the sleepy giant
and have sex with you.

Up in Fairfield
In Old Lyme
We’re just ****ing all the time.
Out in Derby
Down in Kent
We’re all busy getting bent
In the Constitution State.

While we’re waiting to
Turn into the people
everyone here turns into.

Connecticut’s for ****ing.
There’s nothing else to do.
I wanna listen to classic rock and have sex with you.

We all love to **** in Connecticut.
We’re all getting ****ed in Connecticut.
Let’s ****!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:46 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leviramsey
The truest song ever written about Connecticut:
Did you steal that off the CT Tourism Commission site?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Haven't posted here in ages as my user name suggests but we moved from LI to New Fairfield CT last December and love it!

We live on the outskirts part of the town bordering two lakes (check out squantz pond and candle wood lake) and it reminds me of the lake district every day when I come out of my drive.

It is a contrast to long island where everything was busy and buzzing but it's the life style we chose and that's what we wanted out of life.

The roads are roads very windy and fun not a straight block with stop signs every 2 meters. Local supermarket Shaws even has a UK section with PG tips and other over priced imports!

Houses range from very expensive to pretty reasonable but the majoritiry are reasonable with good tax (well compared to LI)

People and friendly and trust worthy. I lost my wallet in a town car park with cash, cards etc and someone handed it into the police station with nothing missing- good sign for me.

We are big dog lovers and the place has a lot of lovely hiking trails, lake walks that are great for dogs and pleanty of dog parks.

Nearby you can get to all the normal shops that you can anywhere else but for us we just have to drive should be need a home depot etc.

Just my experience but check out sqantz pond area - it sold us on our first visit. New milford is nice too. Good schools in both places.

My next door neighbour works for prudential so if you need any info PM me too - she'd be happy to give you info. Also I can send pics on PM if you need them.

Also there's about three skiing areas within 20 miles. Check out Mohawk, thunder ridge and Southbury. All v easy to get to. Been told Mohawk is good - going to snowboard this winter and try it out.

On the train to NYC at the moment so apologies for any typos on the Blackberry

Last edited by Andy_LongIsland; Nov 11th 2008 at 12:36 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:06 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy_LongIsland
Hello,

Haven't posted here in ages as my user name suggests but we moved from LI to New Fairfield CT last December and love it!

We live on the outskirts part of the town bordering two lakes (check out squantz pond and candle wood lake) and it reminds me of the lake district every day when I come out of my drive.

It is a contrast to long island where everything was busy and buzzing but it's the life style we chose and that's what we wanted out of life.

The roads are roads very windy and fun not a straight block with stop signs every 2 meters. Local supermarket Shaws even has a UK section with PG tips and other over priced imports!

Houses range from very expensive to pretty reasonable but the majoritiry are reasonable with good tax (well compared to LI)

People and friendly and trust worthy. I lost my wallet in a town car park with cash, cards etc and someone handed it into the police station with nothing missing- good sign for me.

We are big dog lovers and the place has a lot of lovely hiking trails, lake walks that are great for dogs and pleanty of dog parks.

Nearby you can get to all the normal shops that you can anywhere else but for us we just have to drive should be need a home depot etc.

Just my experience but check out sqantz pond area - it sold us on our first visit. New milford is nice too. Good schools in both places.

My next door neighbour works for prudential so if you need any info PM me too - she'd be happy to give you info. Also I can send pics on PM if you need them.

Also there's about three skiing areas within 20 miles. Check out Mohawk, thunder ridge and Southbury. All v easy to get to. Been told Mohawk is good - going to snowboard this winter and try it out.

On the train to NYC at the moment so apologies for any typos on the Blackberry
Sounds like a nice place you've moved to there, Andy.
Can't help missing the change in seasons once it gets to this time of year.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:11 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

I know the feeling, I equate some parts of pasco county in FL with living in a grottier part of the Medway area at home, with less interesting scenery too.

Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Andy_LongIsland
Nice summary...not sure about it quite being like the Lake District, but parts can definitely be picturesque - I live down the road in Newtown, which often feels like quintessential New England, despite being in Fairfield County.

When you mention Squantz Pond, it makes me thinks of all the bad publicity it's had, though I think it's improved this past year....
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Nice summary...not sure about it quite being like the Lake District, but parts can definitely be picturesque - I live down the road in Newtown, which often feels like quintessential New England, despite being in Fairfield County.

When you mention Squantz Pond, it makes me thinks of all the bad publicity it's had, though I think it's improved this past year....
Nothing compares to the Lake District in reality (at least IMO) but it's got some pretty places nearby. Kent falls is great in my opinion, that's a nice summer day out.

Yeah we heard about that too though this year there were police closing the park when there were too many people coming down and they stopped people going on to the rocks entirely to stop any possible drowning. I think they did a great job this year - don't think anyone was hurt as far as I know.

The park can't be blamed for any of that - the morons never learn despite the events of past years.

Luckily for us we have a dock which we can enjoy without having to endure all that fun

Sadly got no pics at work but here's a piccy of the view from the beach which is more or less resemblant

Last edited by Andy_LongIsland; Nov 11th 2008 at 3:03 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Sounds like a nice place you've moved to there, Andy.
Can't help missing the change in seasons once it gets to this time of year.
You wouldn't miss the snow especially on the hill we live up! Still on really bad days i'm lucky I got the facility to work from home.. that's a must sometimes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.