Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can anyone relate?

Can anyone relate?

Old Aug 10th 2007, 5:46 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone relate?

Originally Posted by jackie dwyer
I'm a newbie to the BE Forum.

I've lived in the states for 12 years, but stilll have an awful emotional pull to the UK. I'm stuck in the "sandwich" generation of having aging parents in the UK, who need my help/give enormous guilt trips on an increasing basis, plus have 4 young kids to raise here. Is anyone out there in the same situation as me, still feeling quiet unsettled after several years of living here? I realize that finanically we're better off over here, but emotionally it's still difficult, especially when you're surrounded by Americans who have their whole extended famillies living nearby.
Yeah, I know what you mean....I've been here nay on 8 years.

My mum retired 2 years ago, my grandmother just had her 94th birthday, every Sunday when I call mum I get the "you really need to come back over, your grandmother may not see her next birthday" emotional blackmail trip.

My brother has a 1 year old, that I have never seen either.....its bloody tough.

I loved where I used to live in England, and I love living here in Rowlett Texas, but don't fret your not the only one.

Last week I took my 6 year old daughter to watch FC Dallas v LA Galaxy (bloody beckham...thats another storey), hundreds of English fans there, man it felt good to be surrounded by us Brits, you need to do something like that to give yourself a moral boost....without sounding like a retard, it makes you feel like a gladiator walking around with the England shirt on.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:09 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Gawd, but you lot are a load of selfish bastards, aren't you? I bet those who think this way don't have kids.

Yes, you have to plan for your retirement, but shite happens, and sometimes, just sometimes, things are just not that clear cut and you land up having to look after your parents.
apart from some kind of SHTF illness, most other things are cured with money.

in cases like this, its actually selfish of the parents not to have planned, its not like retirement planning is rocket science or something
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:08 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
in cases like this, its actually selfish of the parents not to have planned, its not like retirement planning is rocket science or something
well.... my father was forced to put all his retirement money into bank stock in order to keep a position as an officer of the bank. Bank went under in the 80s, retirement savings went bye-bye.

I do agree that parents should try but I've seen so many cases where they have and still got screwed. Imagine having a parent who worked for Enron.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:18 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Like I said. Shite happens, and things don't always work out.

There is no right and wrong here. It just is.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackie dwyer
I'm a newbie to the BE Forum.

I've lived in the states for 12 years, but stilll have an awful emotional pull to the UK. I'm stuck in the "sandwich" generation of having aging parents in the UK, who need my help/give enormous guilt trips on an increasing basis, plus have 4 young kids to raise here. Is anyone out there in the same situation as me, still feeling quiet unsettled after several years of living here? I realize that finanically we're better off over here, but emotionally it's still difficult, especially when you're surrounded by Americans who have their whole extended famillies living nearby.
Yes I can relate-- having spent 3 years here with family and friends in the UK and having a USA wife and family...its not easy.

BUT Hang in there...get out and about and absorb your surroundings. Use the internet for BBC and keep in touch with UK through phone calls letters. etc.

I have a yearly trip to UK once a year for two weeks and that stops the homesickness. Wishing you luck!!

Regarding parents...they told me "Live your life", and whatever happens, I will be there for them either here or UK. Once again...Good luck

Last edited by lanky spoken here; Aug 14th 2007 at 7:50 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yosser
Yeah, I know what you mean....I've been here nay on 8 years.

My mum retired 2 years ago, my grandmother just had her 94th birthday, every Sunday when I call mum I get the "you really need to come back over, your grandmother may not see her next birthday" emotional blackmail trip.

My brother has a 1 year old, that I have never seen either.....its bloody tough.

I loved where I used to live in England, and I love living here in Rowlett Texas, but don't fret your not the only one.

Last week I took my 6 year old daughter to watch FC Dallas v LA Galaxy (bloody beckham...thats another storey), hundreds of English fans there, man it felt good to be surrounded by us Brits, you need to do something like that to give yourself a moral boost....without sounding like a retard, it makes you feel like a gladiator walking around with the England shirt on.
Yeah super post, I quite agree, you can't be in two places at once. I'm a Brit through and through, but it narks me throughly to pay 100,000 for a crappy terraced house in Manchester.

My parents are elderly, and I will do whatever I can for them, sometimes its a catch 22 with family.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:22 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
well.... my father was forced to put all his retirement money into bank stock in order to keep a position as an officer of the bank. Bank went under in the 80s, retirement savings went bye-bye.
wow - thats really crap.

its also sounds like extortion and I can't understand how it would be legal
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:28 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

wow - thats really crap.

its also sounds like extortion and I can't understand how it would be legal
Back in the 70s.... Texas banking good ol' boy network.... the banks were pulled under by Reagan's deregulation of S&Ls. I'm as bitter about him as many here are about Thatcher and yet people STILL think of him as the kindly good looking "great orator." He was a great anal orifice.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:08 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

my dad in australia, says all the time he is busy spending my inheritance, I don't give two hoots since hes not bothering me to look after him since he did a lot of retirement planning....
Ahh, the never ending SKI holidays. (Spending Kids Inheritance). My parents are on one of those eternal holidays too. My father has a wife the same age as me, I'd say that was retirement planning! And my mother has a life partner her age who can match her canny investments. Gives me a break!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:20 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i owe a lot to mine for being the caring parents they were, guess i got lucky besides your kids wouldn't be here if it wasn't for your parents.
I have to agree with Manc. You owe everything to your kids but nothing to your parents. My parents like it that way and so does my kid.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:48 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Of course we can't. Mine still breastfeed.
Good for them I know. But I find that their braces irritate my nipples.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I have to agree with Manc. You owe everything to your kids but nothing to your parents. My parents like it that way and so does my kid.
and that's fine for you however does not apply to me.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I do agree that parents should try but I've seen so many cases where they have and still got screwed. Imagine having a parent who worked for Enron.
He wasn't forced to work at the bank though either.

you pays your money, you takes your chance.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:43 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Manc
He wasn't forced to work at the bank though either.
In his case, that would be like saying to a miner that they weren't forced to work down t'pit. He couldn't have gotten anything half as good anywhere else. It was what he was good at. In those days people did not retrain much, either.

Hard enough to switch careers these days.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
There is nothing wrong with doing it out of love / respect/ honour.
because you are doing it because YOU want to.

however, when parents make their offspring feel guilty, or making them feel compelled to do it then it is wrong.

And how is it wrong to feel it is a higher priority to look after yor own kids first?
My parents are totally selfish and self-centred, yet now suddenly want to be looked after.

I'm putting my kids first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.