Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can anyone offer any advice?

Can anyone offer any advice?

Old Sep 25th 2002, 8:27 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
tiffany101's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 45
tiffany101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Can anyone offer any advice?

Hi everyone,
Im so glad i found this site.
I am a British citizen and i came to the US last year on holiday on a visa waiver, shortly after arriving here i met my husband and we got married just before my 3 month time period had run out, we are filing the forms G-325A and a I-130, one G-325A for myself one for my 3 year old son and one for my husband, my question is ... since i overstayed my visa, do i need additional forms? and as im pregnant with our second child is there anything else i need to take into consideration while filing?
also, on the information sheet it says that i only need my husbands ID my sons full birth certificate and a copy of our marraige certificate, but it doesnt say anything about ID for me, should i send a notorized copy of my passport?
I am soo worried about all this, at the moment i am filling out the forms for the umpteenth time since we got married, (admittedly i have been putting it off due to fear, also) but something is always putting us on hold, waiting for documents from England and whatnot, everytime i fill out the forms there seems to be a reason to have to start again.
Please tell me there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
Any help would be very much apprieciated.
Thanks in advance
tiffany101 is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2002, 8:35 pm
  #2  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,268
Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone offer any advice?

Originally posted by tiffany:
Hi everyone,
Im so glad i found this site.
I am a British citizen and i came to the US last year on holiday on a visa waiver, shortly after arriving here i met my husband and we got married just before my 3 month time period had run out, we are filing the forms G-325A and a I-130, one G-325A for myself one for my 3 year old son and one for my husband, my question is ... since i overstayed my visa, do i need additional forms? and as im pregnant with our second child is there anything else i need to take into consideration while filing?
also, on the information sheet it says that i only need my husbands ID my sons full birth certificate and a copy of our marraige certificate, but it doesnt say anything about ID for me, should i send a notorized copy of my passport?
I am soo worried about all this, at the moment i am filling out the forms for the umpteenth time since we got married, (admittedly i have been putting it off due to fear, also) but something is always putting us on hold, waiting for documents from England and whatnot, everytime i fill out the forms there seems to be a reason to have to start again.
Please tell me there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
Any help would be very much apprieciated.
Thanks in advance
Hi:

I'm an immigration lawyer who has been practicing for a long time in Los Angeles.

Your case looks pretty straightfoward assuming no criminal record and no PRIOR overstays since 1 April 97 exceeding 180 days [do NOT add in time since your last entry].

You will need to do TWO "combined processing" I-130/485 with your local INS office [unless you're in Baltimore MD]. You need NOT do an I-130 with the Service Center -- it is to be done with the adjustment at the local district. Do note that your husband will have to do an I-130 [BTW, I'm assuming hubby is a US citizen] for you and a SEPERATE one for your child. It is a strange quirk in the immigratio laws that there is no "acompany or following-to-join" status for children of "immediate relatives" of US citizens].

You will NOT be eligible for "advance parole" -- in fact - any departure before your adjustment is completed will mean a 10-year bar to return.

If you are nervous person, you just might want to hire an experienced immigration attorney for your peace-of-mind, if nothing else.

Good luck.
Folinskyinla is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2002, 8:50 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
tiffany101's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 45
tiffany101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone offer any advice?

Originally posted by Folinskyinla:


Hi:

I'm an immigration lawyer who has been practicing for a long time in Los Angeles.

Your case looks pretty straightfoward assuming no criminal record and no PRIOR overstays since 1 April 97 exceeding 180 days [do NOT add in time since your last entry].

You will need to do TWO "combined processing" I-130/485 with your local INS office [unless you're in Baltimore MD]. You need NOT do an I-130 with the Service Center -- it is to be done with the adjustment at the local district. Do note that your husband will have to do an I-130 [BTW, I'm assuming hubby is a US citizen] for you and a SEPERATE one for your child. It is a strange quirk in the immigratio laws that there is no "acompany or following-to-join" status for children of "immediate relatives" of US citizens].

You will NOT be eligible for "advance parole" -- in fact - any departure before your adjustment is completed will mean a 10-year bar to return.

If you are nervous person, you just might want to hire an experienced immigration attorney for your peace-of-mind, if nothing else.

Good luck.


no criminal record, no prior overstays, not in Baltimore MD
and yes my husband was born here (we're in orange county).

So my husband will need to file two I-130's and two I-485's? (one of each for both me and my son).

Wow you make it sound very straight forward

Thankyou very much for your help, it is very much apprieciated.
tiffany101 is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2002, 8:52 pm
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,268
Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone offer any advice?

Originally posted by tiffany:




no criminal record, no prior overstays, not in Baltimore MD
and yes my husband was born here (we're in orange county).

So my husband will need to file two I-130's and two I-485's? (one of each for both me and my son).

Wow you make it sound very straight forward

Thankyou very much for your help, it is very much apprieciated.
Hi:

WHICH "Orange County" -- there are several of them in the U.S.
Folinskyinla is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2002, 8:55 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
tiffany101's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 45
tiffany101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone offer any advice?

Originally posted by Folinskyinla:


Hi:

WHICH "Orange County" -- there are several of them in the U.S.
LOL, my apologies for showing my nievety there ... im in Orange County, CA about an hour away from LA.
tiffany101 is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2002, 9:21 pm
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,268
Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone offer any advice?

Originally posted by tiffany:


LOL, my apologies for showing my nievety there ... im in Orange County, CA about an hour away from LA.
Hi:

I kind of thought that was the case. You are in the Santa Office Sub-office of the Los Angeles District.
Folinskyinla is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.