Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can anyone explain the equivalent of a high school diploma in the uk!?

Can anyone explain the equivalent of a high school diploma in the uk!?

Old May 1st 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can anyone explain the equivalent of a high school diploma in the uk!?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, my understanding is that high school graduation is a low level, much lower than A levels.
x2 that was my understanding also.
Old May 3rd 2011, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all
Default Re: Can anyone explain the equivalent of a high school diploma in the uk!?

I 'graduated' from a British secondary school system (with GCSE's and IB courses under my belt..an international equivilant to the A Level's) and I ended up attending a US undergraduate program.

I recall back when I applied that it was made very clear that GCSE's are comparable to a high school diploma, and that A Level's and IB are considered higher level than a highschool diploma which can get you college credit. My IB passes translated into 18 additional undergraduate credits.

So from what I understand from my own application to multiples US universities is that the GCSE's are the minimal requirement to apply to colleges (it's a High School Diploma equivilant), and that A level passes, while not a pre-requisite to applying, does indeed strengthen an application and garner college credits.
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stiffers11
I'm soon going to be moving to the USA with my family and want to carry on with higher education over there!

At the moment I have 9 GCSE's in the UK would this be enough to gain a high school diploma or would I need to do anything else!?

Any info would be much appreciated
The USA is a big country and education is traditionally a local function. Educational requirements can vary widely from state to state.

That said, an American primary and secondary education is generally for twelve years. Upon a successful completion, one gets a high school "diploma." I know that there is a movement afoot in various US localities for "exit exams."

Not all high school diplomas are created equal. That said, you have expressed interest in continuing with higher education. In Los Angeles high schools, academic instruction is aimed at meeting the admission requirements of either the University of California or the California State University.

My two daughters graduated from high school meeting the UC requirements -- both were accepted to schools all over the United States, both public and private.

I hope this information is helpful in comparing the systems. I know that the admissions offices of many schools can guide you in specific comparisons.