Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can anyone explain this?

Can anyone explain this?

Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:59 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can anyone explain this?

Why do some people, when passing a truck or lorry on the motorway/freeway, feel the need to drive alongside it for several miles before finally getting passed it? Once past the truck they always speed up again. I don't get it! If for some reason they are scared of passing big trucks, why prolong the agony by driving alongside it? Please somebody tell me, am I missing something? Why do they do this?
Old Jan 14th 2004, 7:17 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone explain this?

And I thought it was a conspiracy to piss me off, seems it a conspicary to piss off all Brits. Bastards, how do they know we are behind, maybe its our cunningly disguised UJ number plate at the front.

Patrick

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Why do some people, when passing a truck or lorry on the motorway/freeway, feel the need to drive alongside it for several miles before finally getting passed it? Once past the truck they always speed up again. I don't get it! If for some reason they are scared of passing big trucks, why prolong the agony by driving alongside it? Please somebody tell me, am I missing something? Why do they do this?
Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:05 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
And I thought it was a conspiracy to piss me off, seems it a conspicary to piss off all Brits. Bastards, how do they know we are behind, maybe its our cunningly disguised UJ number plate at the front.

Patrick

While this is an interesting theory, I think it has more to do with the fact that in the US people don't especially consider the outside lane to be a passing lane. They pass on all sides at random and feel perfectly free to do 55 in the outside lane and 75 on the inside. Or, they could just be bad drivers.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:32 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
While this is an interesting theory, I think it has more to do with the fact that in the US people don't especially consider the outside lane to be a passing lane. They pass on all sides at random and feel perfectly free to do 55 in the outside lane and 75 on the inside. Or, they could just be bad drivers.
OK, so people like to cruise along at 55, then they feel the urge to cruise along at 65 for bit. So it's all just a coincidence that they can see a large truck in the next lane from their rear view mirror when they happen to speed up!
I think I'll take my Union Flag off the front of the car though, all the same.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:03 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

They pass on all sides at random and feel perfectly free to do 55 in the outside lane and 75 on the inside. Or, they could just be bad drivers.
I'm glad to see someone else calls the lanes inside and outside, this is a common source of friction between my wife and I when we're out driving! She calls them right and left lanes respectively. Driving on 4 & 5 lane roads adds to the fun.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC
I'm glad to see someone else calls the lanes inside and outside, this is a common source of friction between my wife and I when we're out driving! She calls them right and left lanes respectively. Driving on 4 & 5 lane roads adds to the fun.
I don't have this problem with my husband, because he's from Mexico City where driving on the pavement, the shoulder, the divider down the middle of the road, and, where necessary, over pedestrians, make lane nomenclature a bit redundant.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Or, they could just be bad drivers.
No! D'ya reckon?

I think that a good part of the problem is that most Americans get on the interstate, set the cruise control and switch off their brain. What you may be noticing is that on the level and down hill trucks and cars get "stuck" along side each other, and then the "passing" (or not! ) car then pulls away as the truck slows on an up-hill section. In any case, and whatever the reason it makes driving on two lane interstates very aggravating.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 15th 2004 at 12:01 am.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:26 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
No! D'ya reckon?

I think that a good part of the problem is that most Americans get on the interstate, set the cruise control and switch off their brain. What you may be noticing is that on the level and down hill trucks and cars get "stuck" along side each other, and then the "passing" (or not! ) car then pulls away as the truck slows on an up-hill section. In any case, and whatever the reason it makes driving on two lane interstates very aggravating.
Think what scares me that unlike in Britain - there are no speed limits or specific laws regarding trucks.
They can drive in any lane at any speed. (Which scare the **** out of me on the interstate the other day when one tailgated me for about 5 miles.)
:scared:
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
Think what scares me that unlike in Britain - there are no speed limits or specific laws regarding trucks.
They can drive in any lane at any speed. (Which scare the **** out of me on the interstate the other day when one tailgated me for about 5 miles.)
A few years ago, before I moved here permanently. I was driving up I77 towards Virginia late at night, the road was very quite and I was doing over 80mph when I saw several trucks in the mirror. They were catching me, and I picked up some speed to avoid getting in their way.

The next thing I know one has passed me and moved across in front of me, there are a couple in the outside lane passing me, and at least one still behind me, and we are all in a pack doing close to 90mph! It was certainly not what I was used to in the UK as trucks their have had speed governors since around the time I learned to drive.

Trucks don't worry me so much now, but I have learned to keep one eye on the mirror and to be prepared to move out of the way!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 17th 2004 at 11:15 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 8:24 pm
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

We passed a truck on its side with all its load spread over the I10 a week last Sunday just outside Phoenix and we clocked an 11 mile tailback, the local radio station said it was estimated at doing 85mph when it went over and the driver was lucky to survive, its a far cry from our truckers in the UK who are limited to 56mph.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

Originally posted by Webbie
I guess it depends on the state. Here in CA, on the freeway, where the limit is 65, there are signs limiting trucks (and anything with a trailer) to 55.

Pat
Old Jan 18th 2004, 2:36 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dudleydowg
We passed a truck on its side with all its load spread over the I10 a week last Sunday just outside Phoenix and we clocked an 11 mile tailback, the local radio station said it was estimated at doing 85mph when it went over and the driver was lucky to survive, its a far cry from our truckers in the UK who are limited to 56mph.
Oh my god....why am I not surprised? That I10 just plain scares me and I'm a confident driver. I hate passing trucks because they're too big and they can't see you and have no intention of even looking. I steer well clear, and in fact would rather drive through Phoenix from 75th St to 75th Ave than go on the I10 or I17.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 2:39 pm

Originally posted by superpat
I guess it depends on the state. Here in CA, on the freeway, where the limit is 65, there are signs limiting trucks (and anything with a trailer) to 55.
Surely you aren't saying that truckers obey the speed limit? The interstates around here, in North Carolina, have clearly posted speed limits of 65 and 70 mph, but that doesn't stop traffic doing 80-85 mph, cars and trucks alike.