Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

can any notary marry us

can any notary marry us

Old Oct 11th 2002, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

talisker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can any notary marry us

Hi my name is Zoe I'm from the UK and marrying my USC boyfriend, whilst here on a visa waiver.

Question:
can any authorized notary perform the ceremony car/timeshare/insurance sales person. Is this totally legal. Being from the UK I'm some what confused with the USA laws. I don't want to screw up here.

Any input gratefully recieved.

Zoe
Old Oct 11th 2002, 8:03 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: can any notary marry us

Originally posted by talisker:
Hi my name is Zoe I'm from the UK and marrying my USC boyfriend, whilst here on a visa waiver.

Question:
can any authorized notary perform the ceremony car/timeshare/insurance sales person. Is this totally legal. Being from the UK I'm some what confused with the USA laws. I don't want to screw up here.

Zoe
I don't know if a Notary can, but just go to City Hall and do it there. That way, it will be official. It only costs $55 for the license and certificate.

Me (UK citz) and my USC girlfriend did that, and married at NYC city hall on somewhat spur of the moment. I was also on a visa waiver too. It took about 5 minutes to be married, having gotten the license a day or two before.

Once youre married, the real fun starts courtesy of the INS, make sure you file for adjustment soon after marrying.
Old Oct 11th 2002, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

talisker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nathan barley:
I don't know if a Notary can, but just go to City Hall and do it there. That way, it will be official. It only costs $55 for the license and certificate.

Me (UK citz) and my USC girlfriend did that, and married at NYC city hall on somewhat spur of the moment. I was also on a visa waiver too. It took about 5 minutes to be married, having gotten the license a day or two before.

Once youre married, the real fun starts courtesy of the INS, make sure you file for adjustment soon after marrying.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Any info on the INS wouls be appreciated. Do I file all the forms together. Or do I do the I-130 and affidavit of support, then do the work permit/advanced parole after. I seem to be reading a mix of opinions on this what did you Guys do.
Old Oct 11th 2002, 8:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the speedy reply. Any info on the INS wouls be appreciated. Do I file all the forms together. Or do I do the I-130 and affidavit of support, then do the work permit/advanced parole after. I seem to be reading a mix of opinions on this what did you Guys do.
The mix of opinions is because there are two methods. One if you are already in the states and another if you are residing outside of the states.

For in the states, file everything at the local INS office at the same time unless you live in the Baltimore, MD jurisdiction and then it is all filed together at the Vermont Service Center.

Rete
Old Oct 12th 2002, 3:02 am
Jumu

talisker wrote in message news:...
    > Originally posted by nathan barley:
    > Thanks for the speedy reply. Any info on the INS wouls be appreciated.
    > Do I file all the forms together. Or do I do the I-130 and affidavit of
    > support, then do the work permit/advanced parole after. I seem to be
    > reading a mix of opinions on this what did you Guys do.

We have filed in Seattle and they wouldnt even take the forms single.
It depends on your local INS / your service center how they handle it.
Aswell as laws for how to get married may vary from state to state.

Old Oct 12th 2002, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Question:

Zoe

Hi,
I'm not sure about the notary thing, however the best suggestion was going to your local city hall, you will need certain documents, such as birth certificate, divorce papers (if appropriate)
When researching a similar situation for ourselves, because of the relaxation in laws in both the UK and US of marriage "ceremonies" there are all sorts of travelling "vicars" who can marry you virtually anywhere, certainly in the US.
However we did draw the line at being married by an Elvis Presley look-a-like ;o)
Keep in mind that if you are marrying on a visa waiver you must show intent to return to England (job, property etc) otherwise you may encounter all sorts of problems when adjusting status etc.
I'm sure others can offer more sound advice on this.
Old Oct 12th 2002, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Tiff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rogerpenycate:

Hi,
I'm not sure about the notary thing, however the best suggestion was going to your local city hall, you will need certain documents, such as birth certificate, divorce papers (if appropriate)
When researching a similar situation for ourselves, because of the relaxation in laws in both the UK and US of marriage "ceremonies" there are all sorts of travelling "vicars" who can marry you virtually anywhere, certainly in the US.
However we did draw the line at being married by an Elvis Presley look-a-like ;o)
Keep in mind that if you are marrying on a visa waiver you must show intent to return to England (job, property etc) otherwise you may encounter all sorts of problems when adjusting status etc.
I'm sure others can offer more sound advice on this.
I am a notary in Arizona and No I cannot marry anyone. I would imagine this carries over from state to state.