Reload this Page >

can any 1 help

can any 1 help

Old Jan 24th 2004, 10:14 am
Just Joined

belfastgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question can any 1 help

hi all
can any 1 help plz....my partner and i wish to move to the us but are not sure wot we have to do ..we have some were to live and he has a chance of a few jobs.....we are not marrried but have 3 children can any 1 give us some advice plz on wot we need to do

many thx

Last edited by belfastgirl; Jan 24th 2004 at 5:06 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

With spelling and grammer like that I doubt that you would fall into the "highly desirable skill" section, so I'd say your chances are between none and bugger all. try England, Wales or Scotland, there about the only places you have a chance to go
Old Jan 24th 2004, 6:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Accepted, capital letters to start sentences and punctuation are great.

However, last time I looked Belfast was in Northern Ireland, and therefore you are eligible for the Diverse Lottery.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 6:37 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

The US doesn't recognise co-habiting for immigrant visas so you'd need to do something about that too.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 7:15 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
With spelling and grammer like that I doubt that you would fall into the "highly desirable skill" section, so I'd say your chances are between none and bugger all. try England, Wales or Scotland, there about the only places you have a chance to go
It really pisses me off when people bitch about spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. This is not the OP's cover letter to a potential employer, it is an informal question in an informal forum.

If you really want to get pedantic, the use of there in your sentence "try England, Wales or Scotland, there about the only places.... is incorrect. The correct word is "they're" or "they are"
Old Jan 24th 2004, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

This thread needs Pulaski's "Ways to emmigrate to America" post.

You're a bit sketchy on details. What do you both do for a living? Have you relatives or just friends living in the states?. Who is(or thinks they can) offering you a job?
Old Jan 25th 2004, 1:04 am
Just Joined

belfastgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pimpbot
This thread needs Pulaski's "Ways to emmigrate to America" post.

You're a bit sketchy on details. What do you both do for a living? Have you relatives or just friends living in the states?. Who is(or thinks they can) offering you a job?

thx for ur reply u seem to be the only decent person on this site....we have good friends in the us and at the minute i am studying and my partner is self employed...and i dont think the way i spell or my gammer has anything to do with moving to the us...i thought this site was designed to help others but obviously i was wrong......
Old Jan 25th 2004, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

See if this helps. Credit Pulaski for the info.

There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you - a cousin is not close enough) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training. (The list of qualifying occupations is actually quite long, but visas are very limited for 2004 going forward, making it a difficult route to follow, and you have to have the backing of an employer, which isn't easy as employers are likely to take a local employee before going to the trouble and expense of helping an immigrant obtain a visa.)
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card, likely minimum investment $100,000)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 1:42 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by belfastgirl
thx for ur reply u seem to be the only decent person on this site....we have good friends in the us and at the minute i am studying and my partner is self employed...and i dont think the way i spell or my gammer has anything to do with moving to the us...i thought this site was designed to help others but obviously i was wrong......

No, your spelling or grammar have little to do with moving to the US (although (laughably) it may be necessary for you to take an English Language test! ).

However, your spelling and grammar are likely to have a huge effect on the help you will get from expatriate websites, simply because text with a lot of errors is hard to read. Your style of writing reminds me of mobile phone text messages where the aim is to use as few characters as possible. Here, you can use as many characters as you like, so it might be better to spell words out properly and in full, despite being in an informal setting.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:14 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by belfastgirl
The reason people are suspicious is that some trolls seem to enjoy messing around on this site by wasting peoples time with stupid questions.

Basically you cant move to the USA unless you have a direct family connection (eg spouse) or you win the diversity lottery whcih would entitle you to apply for a visa but does not give you one and you still have to meet the legal requirements such as no criminal record and evidence of financial support. Bottom line is its damn hard to move here legally but at least being Northern Irish you can have a go at the visa lottery which is better than most Brits.

I suggest you look at: http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/r...cy/divvisa.htm

if you want the results from last year:
http://travel.state.gov/DV-2003results.html

You have missed the 2005 lottery so it will be the 2006 one which will be open i would expect around oct 2004-nov 2004 and would grant you a chance at a visa in 2006.

Good luck but dont hold your breath last year 43 people from N.Ireland got picked from the thousands who apply so odds are long. Otherwise unless you marry a US Citizen i would guess its a long shot its not the 1850's anymore and you cant just get on a boat and turn up in Boston/New York.

Any other questions try the immigration site instead.

regards,

Duncan
Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:52 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

Originally posted by ScousePete
It really pisses me off when people bitch about spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. This is not the OP's cover letter to a potential employer, it is an informal question in an informal forum.

If you really want to get pedantic, the use of there in your sentence "try England, Wales or Scotland, there about the only places.... is incorrect. The correct word is "they're" or "they are"
LOL. Also, if you're going to quibble about someone's grammar, it does tend to lack credibility if you can't spell the word yourself.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I seem to have upset a few people here, especially belfastgirl, it was not my intention and for that, I apologise.

Two things I really hate are time wasters and people who don't care. The way I read your post was that you had woke up and thought, "I think I want to move to America," not bothering to think it through or putting much thought or effort into the post.

I can understand the "mobile phone" style of your post if you were sending a message to your friends phone asking if they want to go to the pub, but for a serious question, it comes across as not serious.
The odd spelling or grammar mistake I can understand, but not a whole post. I realise that sometimes mine isn't great, but I'm not asking a possibly life chaging question.

Once again, belfastgirl, I apologise.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
Ok, I seem to have upset a few people here, especially belfastgirl, it was not my intention and for that, I apologise.

Once again, belfastgirl, I apologise.
Hey, you're in Ohio, so I think you mean "apologize".

(Sorry, DR, I just couldn't resist)

But seriously, I have to agree with what you say and Duncs also referred to. Seems to me that if you expect unpaid strangers to spend 5 minutes giving you a carefully-deliberated response and you want to be "taken seriously", the least you can do is take more than 20 seconds to type your question. No one is saying you HAVE TO take your time/try to use correct grammar and punctuation, just that if you don't, then you may not be taken seriously. Syng ur jst usng phn txt is a wk xcse nd mks u lk lke a trll.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one left..I don't own a cell phone, nor want one, I have no idea what a text message is.....Am I a social outcast..
Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't have one, I don't want one and I will never have one unless I'm forced

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.