British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Calling a US mobile from the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/calling-us-mobile-uk-628279/)

Keith Moon Aug 30th 2009 12:20 pm

Calling a US mobile from the UK

Hi,

Has anyone any experiences, anyone used this below?

Thanks, Keith.:fingerscrossed:

http://www.qxcall.co.uk/call/international.php

1. To make call to USA MOBILE from UK FIXED line phones, Dial 0844 208 0 208
2. When our system answers, press using your telephone kepyad 001xxxxxxxxxx and WAIT to be connected.
Your phone company will charge you as soon as our system answers so if the destination number is engaged or unavailable, please disconnect the call and try again later.
3. If you misdialled, press ## to redial.

Access to USA MOBILE via 0844 208 0 208 is available at all time. Call cost from BT / TalkTalk / SkyTalk landlines are 1.96p/min (inc VAT) at all time. Call cost from other networks may vary and you should check with your service provider/telephone company before dialling the number.

JAJ Aug 30th 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Calling a US mobile from the UK

Just call a US mobile like any other. As far as I know the cost is the same as for a US landline.

Keith Moon Aug 30th 2009 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7889004)
Just call a US mobile like any other. As far as I know the cost is the same as for a US landline.

http://www.ratebuster.co.uk/pages/home.aspx

Sorry JAJ,

You are correct.:thumbsup:

Thanks Keith:fingerscrossed:

Paulycarts Aug 30th 2009 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Keith Moon (Post 7888727)
Hi,

Has anyone any experiences, anyone used this below?

Thanks, Keith.:fingerscrossed:

http://www.qxcall.co.uk/call/international.php

1. To make call to USA MOBILE from UK FIXED line phones, Dial 0844 208 0 208
2. When our system answers, press using your telephone kepyad 001xxxxxxxxxx and WAIT to be connected.
Your phone company will charge you as soon as our system answers so if the destination number is engaged or unavailable, please disconnect the call and try again later.
3. If you misdialled, press ## to redial.

Access to USA MOBILE via 0844 208 0 208 is available at all time. Call cost from BT / TalkTalk / SkyTalk landlines are 1.96p/min (inc VAT) at all time. Call cost from other networks may vary and you should check with your service provider/telephone company before dialling the number.

I set my Mom up with Talk Talk broadband and phone service about 24.99 a month. All calls to UK and USA are free that includes calls to US cell phones. Its a great deal

Ozzidoc Aug 31st 2009 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Paulycarts (Post 7889187)
I set my Mom up with Talk Talk broadband and phone service about 24.99 a month. All calls to UK and USA are free that includes calls to US cell phones. Its a great deal

I did something similar with BT - cost me £5 a month for unlimited calls to 40 countries, including cell phones in some. :)

The Horticulturalist Aug 31st 2009 7:52 pm

we used pennyphone.co.uk for making calls to the USA, it's about 1 or 2p per minute.

Paulycarts Sep 1st 2009 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Paulycarts (Post 7889187)

This actually includes internet too forgot to add and its 24/7.
Off peak available for about 20 quid

_jon_ Sep 1st 2009 10:32 am

If its a regular call, have a look at Rebtel. Great service.

Madelina Sep 2nd 2009 7:25 am

I use Skype to make all my calls, similar rates to Telediscount etc, plus, I have a Skypeout number which is a US number with a Georgia code, so that my man in the US can call a local number, and it connects to me - the costs comes from my Skype balance, and if i'm not logged into skype the call directs to my cellphone. Its a fairly cool setup. my cellphone even displays caller id accurately in spite of the call routing through Skype. :)

emailrob Sep 2nd 2009 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Madelina (Post 7896328)
I use Skype to make all my calls, similar rates to Telediscount etc, plus, I have a Skypeout number which is a US number with a Georgia code, so that my man in the US can call a local number, and it connects to me - the costs comes from my Skype balance, and if i'm not logged into skype the call directs to my cellphone. Its a fairly cool setup. my cellphone even displays caller id accurately in spite of the call routing through Skype. :)

Us to, although we don't have a UK number just a US skypeout number. It's always me calling the UK anyway, nobody from UK ever calls me :( but its "free" with skype anyway on our unlimited UK plan ($6 a month unlimited iirc)

franc111s Sep 6th 2009 1:05 pm

There is no difference is calling costs, calling a US Mobile or a US Landline from the UK.

The problem is, the other way around; when calling a UK Mobile (and a lot of other numbers now (0845 and stuff) form the USA, they add a HUGE premium. If it costs 2c to call the UK, typically, there's a 19 to 30c surcharge if the UK phone is a Mobile - regardless of carrier (Skype, AT&T, Verizon, and all the calling cards).

I think calling a UK mobile in the UK from a UK landline is about 10p (16c) so that's where I guess the surcharge comes from.

unrelated Sep 6th 2009 8:43 pm

Personally i find skype quiet good, they do packages witch allow calling of mobile and local number and its at quiet cheep rates.

Also if you are in the UK you can get a mobile on the "Three" network and get a skype mobile phone so its always cheep.

cheers

charman57 Sep 7th 2009 10:09 am

How about texting US mobiles?

I use Skype to talk to my girlfriend in New York in the evening, however texting in the daytime at 20p per international txt (Virgin network) means my monthly bills are still through the roof.

Does anybody know and cheap ways of texting to US mobiles?

Patrick Hasler Sep 7th 2009 7:06 pm

I get calls and texts from UK mobiles all the time, none of them use anything special, they just dail my number and thats it.