Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

calling the UK from the US

calling the UK from the US

Old Sep 21st 2003, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default calling the UK from the US

What's the best way to do this? I know people have posted some information on this before, but I can't find it anywhere. There were a few companies/websites/calling cards recommended.

I am in Los Angeles and am connected to SBC.

Thanks.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 5:06 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Try Big Zoo

http://www.bigzoo.com/

My girlfriend uses them to call me all the time and she only pays 2c a minute. She calls me from her cell phone using them as well. Great service.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 5:18 pm
Sleep? What's that?

bubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura about

The phone card I use would not be ideal for everyone but it works well for me. It has a 75 cent connection fee per call, and it's 1.1 cents/minute. I would not recommend it for people who tend to make short phone calls. However, we talk every night for an average of 3 hours a night, so an average call costs me $2.73. If interested, it can be found here.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 7:51 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

http://www.10-10-987.com
3cents a minute, 39c to connect nationwide and across western Europe (UK, France, Italy, Ireland, etc).
Old Sep 21st 2003, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the info.

Does anyone know of such a plan for calling from the UK to the USA please? Folks tell us it's costs so much for them to call us here in the USA.

Any info would be most appreciated.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Jon1905 will become famous soon enough

I use http://www.prepaidcall.com/ , plenty of choice.. I use the instant card, because I use it for both UK, and US, and I use it for national, as well as international.. it has no connection fee, so It's not wasted on short calls.. it's still a good rate though, so it's fine for INTL distance too..
Old Sep 21st 2003, 7:59 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Yup.
When I was in the UK I used OneTel. 3p per minute to the US and you can register your mobile also.

www.onetel.co.uk

So get calling.......
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: calling the UK from the US

Originally posted by ireland132
What's the best way to do this? I know people have posted some information on this before, but I can't find it anywhere. There were a few companies/websites/calling cards recommended.

I am in Los Angeles and am connected to SBC.

Thanks.

Get MCI international calling plan, because most people do not want to be entering codes before they make a call. Rate to the UK is about 7 cents a minute which is not overly expensive. Then you can always use the calling cards and discounts anyway.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

I can recommend www.bigzoo.com too, had no problems with an call a uk land line for around 2c a minute calls to mobiles seem fairly reasonable too at about 18c a min.

It also seems to get cheaper the more you use aswell.

Happy Calling
Old Sep 21st 2003, 11:52 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

I used to use one-tel to phone the |US but now I use Planet talk and have done for years with not one single problem. Highly recommended. 3p per minute to the US, with an auto facility if requited to just press * on the phone and get an auto top up which you set in whatever ££ you want!

Lee

No, Im not a Planet talk rep!
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 2:09 am
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely One-Tel from UK to US. Very reliable and the best price around.

US to UK, try the Cardinal Bell phonecard at www.masterbell.com.

No connection fee, and 2.5c / minute if you call a local number, 5c if you call the freephone. If you have free local or regional calls I've never found anything to touch it.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

Well, I signed up for BigZoo today and used it straight away to call my mum. She said I seemed a bit quiet, but that sometimes happens on SBC (my default long-distance carrier) anyway.

We'll see how it pans out. It's certainly cheaper than SBC at 2.4c vs 7c per minute.

Cheers,

Pat
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Poshpaws
Thank you for the info.

Does anyone know of such a plan for calling from the UK to the USA please? Folks tell us it's costs so much for them to call us here in the USA.

Any info would be most appreciated.
Yeah, Planet Talk.

I used them before I got married and spent hours a week on the phone to the USA. Now my mother uses them to call here. They are excellent, and basically the same sort of service as Big Zoo. I think that it coast 3p a minute to call the US with Planet Talk.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Try Big Zoo

http://www.bigzoo.com/

My girlfriend uses them to call me all the time and she only pays 2c a minute. She calls me from her cell phone using them as well. Great service.

Does your gf always get good reception with bigzoo, Rockgirl? I've heard that sometimes its a poor connection- thought I'd ask before I sign up with them.... and I thought I was getting a good deal from AT & T screwed again LOL.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 2:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
Does your gf always get good reception with bigzoo, Rockgirl? I've heard that sometimes its a poor connection- thought I'd ask before I sign up with them.... and I thought I was getting a good deal from AT & T screwed again LOL.
I've never had a bad line with bigzoo - the line is indistinguishable from a local line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.