Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Calling Brits in the Raleigh, NC area!

Calling Brits in the Raleigh, NC area!

Old Dec 19th 2004, 2:27 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling Brits in the Raleigh, NC area!

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Chapel Hill needs more streetlights; at night it's like driving around the Black Forest.
Hahaha! That's funny. 'Fraid it's like that throughout the Triangle. All the windy, country roads and no roadside lights or working cats eyes! Yup. It's like rally car driving but without the brights!

I got married at the Washington Duke Inn in Durham, incidentally. My wife was brought up in Cary. So I've spent a lot of time around the place.
Wow! You got married there? Classy joint for a wedding. Very pricy but really beautiful. Lovely surroundings for a wedding.

I wasn't in town yesterday just to erect a tree; I was actually in RTP for the day to see a guy (a few guys actually) about a thing.
I was thinking that you can't have just driven to NC just put up a tree (even though it'd mean a lot to your MIL). The RTP rendezvous sounds a bit dodgy though... Meeting about a "thing". I hope you meant a legitimate business matter.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
...I was thinking that you can't have just driven to NC just put up a tree (even though it'd mean a lot to your MIL). The RTP rendezvous sounds a bit dodgy though... Meeting about a "thing". I hope you meant a legitimate business matter. ...
The guys I met about the thing subsequently offered me the job. Which was foolish of them.

So I spent yesterday with my wife and mother-in-law gawking at houses in Trumanshow-style neighbourhoods that are, according to the company provided realtor, within a reasonable commute of RTP. Spent a lot of time looking at some places in Briar (sp?) Creek. Nice enough. I can't remember the names of the various other identical looking neighbourhoods we toured.

My wife rambles inanely and regularly about adopting some dogs from the animal shelter and I now realise that this mundane issue is driving 95% of our home-selecting process. Apparently this dog thing has been on her mind for about four years and I just haven't been listening. So fences are now an aspect of my life I never much gave a crap about before.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 1:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The guys I met about the thing subsequently offered me the job. Which was foolish of them.

So I spent yesterday with my wife and mother-in-law gawking at houses in Trumanshow-style neighbourhoods that are, according to the company provided realtor, within a reasonable commute of RTP. Spent a lot of time looking at some places in Briar (sp?) Creek. Nice enough. I can't remember the names of the various other identical looking neighbourhoods we toured.
Briar Creek is N. Raleigh. Up and coming neighborhood close to H70. Lots of cookie cutter brand new houses round there. I know of a number of Brits who've snapped up houses around there. Big warning though: H70 is bumper to bumper at am and pm rushhours. No fun at all.

Would strongly suggest you look at a couple of houses in more established neighborhoods (e.g. more than 10 years old) to compare floor plans, neighborhoods. You'll immediately notice a difference in use of interior space.

My wife rambles inanely and regularly about adopting some dogs from the animal shelter and I now realise that this mundane issue is driving 95% of our home-selecting process. Apparently this dog thing has been on her mind for about four years and I just haven't been listening. So fences are now an aspect of my life I never much gave a crap about before.
PM if you want additional info on Raleigh and RTP neighborhoods. If you want a suggestion for a Brit realtor, I know one (whom I've actually met and worked with though not as a realtor).

NC Penguin
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Mitch is an unknown quantity at this point

I just moved to Atlanta from North Carolina, I lived in Raleigh, Cary and Holly Springs. I can give you help if you need it as I spent almost five years in the area. Driving is a given it's a very spread out region with nothing built up anywhere, so buying a house can be tricky depending on where you work and like to play. If it's RTP do no live too close, thats where the airport is too you know, the drive will be better than planes overhead beleive me.

Mail me if you need some help [email protected]
Old Jan 5th 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitch
...If it's RTP do no live too close, thats where the airport is too you know, the drive will be better than planes overhead beleive me...
Thanks for the tip. I noticed that Briar Creek was incredibly close to the airport and was worried about the noise. But I spent a few hours in there looking around houses and didn't hear any plane noise at all. Perhaps its not under the flight path? I will harangue my realtor about it though.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Briar Creek is N. Raleigh. Up and coming neighborhood close to H70. Lots of cookie cutter brand new houses round there. I know of a number of Brits who've snapped up houses around there. Big warning though: H70 is bumper to bumper at am and pm rushhours. No fun at all...
Would be interested in contacting the Brits if I do move in there; I'll PM you about it.

On this H70 business. I think it would be avoided because you'd take Alexander Dr > 147. Something for me to look into though.

Cookie cutter is fine for my purposes. Better than strip-mall-land that is Virginia Beach.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 12:22 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Would be interested in contacting the Brits if I do move in there; I'll PM you about it.

On this H70 business. I think it would be avoided because you'd take Alexander Dr > 147. Something for me to look into though.

Cookie cutter is fine for my purposes. Better than strip-mall-land that is Virginia Beach.
It's strip mall land throughout the Triangle. You'll see strip malls from different decades. In fact, I know of a rather good Indian restaurant that's in a weeny strip mall behind a gas station (you can only see the gas station from the road) in Morrisville.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 6th 2005, 1:34 am
Just Joined

canny lass is an unknown quantity at this point

It's strip mall land throughout the Triangle. You'll see strip malls from different decades. In fact, I know of a rather good Indian restaurant that's in a weeny strip mall behind a gas station (you can only see the gas station from the road) in Morrisville.

NC Penguin
Where in Morrisville is this Indian Restaurant ?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 2:49 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by canny lass
Where in Morrisville is this Indian Restaurant ?
It's on Airport Blvd, towards the outlet mall but on the other side of the road (I don't mean opposite).

Like I say, it's behind a gas station. The name is India Palace 2.

NC Penguin