Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Calling all South Carolina peeps!!

Calling all South Carolina peeps!!

Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Location: america currently in birmingham uk.......heading back to asheville nc 2014
steffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant future
Default Re: Calling all South Carolina peeps!!

not to gross you out but true story here............one summer in charleston there was an epidemic of black widows.......the city asked that we phone in if we saw an unusual amount of eggs/spiders in our homes/yards......well i had to make the call........there were over 300 egg sacks between myself and my neighbor...........weird natural incident.......my moms house in va had to be vaccumed out of an infestation of ladybugs........over a million of them in one lil room.......no harm came to them in the process.........of all the bugs/critters there is still nothing no better than falling asleep to the sound of crickets chirping........something i really miss......so much so that i bought a cd of their wonderful lil noices so that i could fall asleep at night.......lol........well i fly out to asheville in the morning so i can get my back home fix...........and some SUNSHINE
Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I've seen gators here. There is one in the lake by hubbys work. I was standing with my kids looking at it and my daughter starts waving at it, saying "hello mr alligator" and the bloody thing swam over to us and just looked at us from the water. Luckily we were behind a fence so I don't think it would have gotten close to us.
I've never seen any snakes or black widow spider. The palmetto bugs are a bit gross but I find all bugs gross!
I live 5 minutes from Isle of Palms Connector so getting to the beach is not a problem. Parking by front beach is free from mid October to mid March so parking meters have just kicked in again. $1 for an hour or you can park along Ocean Boulevard and other nearby streets for free. Lots of public access points to the beach.
When we lived in Mount.P, there was a gator living in a small pond across the street, there was no fence or anything to keep you walking right up to the edge, in fact some houses backed onto the pond! Seems to be a pretty normal thing here, they usually have signs warning of gators at the edges of them, we even have them on both the bases! Never heard of anyone around here being bitten though and the law requires that they be removed if they reach 10ft in length

As for buying property, I really try to encourage everyone just moving here to rent for at least a year, I know it's tempting right now to buy, property prices are really good, but, there are so many nice areas close together here and so many differences in commute times, depending on where you live/work, that it really does make sense to take some time to explore the different areas before you buy. James Island is nice, but it can be a PITA getting on and off the Island at rush hour! Mount.P, is lovely and close to my fave beach, Isle of Palms, but if your hubby is commuting to Boeing every day, it can be a 40 minute (or longer) commute each way in horrible traffic! (hubby hated that commute!)

The attitudes of some people can be a bit extreme around here, I have found that the older generation, especially those that have long family histories in Charleston are the ones that are hardest to 'like'. A lot of them complain about people moving here from the North, especially NY, NJ, lots of transplants from those States here, the weather here is a big draw. I have noticed more racism here than other States I have lived, but it's not 'in your face'. As you say, there are nasty people everywhere, you just learn to avoid them.

Try doing some research on citydata.com you will get lots of info on there, there is a forum for Charleston on there, I did a lot of research on there before we moved here, got good inside info from the 'locals'

I think you will love it here, if you coped with the creepy crawly's/snakes etc in Australia, you can cope here

Just a teaser...this is Isle of Palms
Attached Thumbnails Calling all South Carolina peeps!!-pity-you-cant-feel-heat-lol.jpg   Calling all South Carolina peeps!!-love-those-beach-houses.jpg  
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:03 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
When we lived in Mount.P, there was a gator living in a small pond across the street, there was no fence or anything to keep you walking right up to the edge, in fact some houses backed onto the pond! Seems to be a pretty normal thing here, they usually have signs warning of gators at the edges of them, we even have them on both the bases! Never heard of anyone around here being bitten though and the law requires that they be removed if they reach 10ft in length

As for buying property, I really try to encourage everyone just moving here to rent for at least a year, I know it's tempting right now to buy, property prices are really good, but, there are so many nice areas close together here and so many differences in commute times, depending on where you live/work, that it really does make sense to take some time to explore the different areas before you buy. James Island is nice, but it can be a PITA getting on and off the Island at rush hour! Mount.P, is lovely and close to my fave beach, Isle of Palms, but if your hubby is commuting to Boeing every day, it can be a 40 minute (or longer) commute each way in horrible traffic! (hubby hated that commute!)

The attitudes of some people can be a bit extreme around here, I have found that the older generation, especially those that have long family histories in Charleston are the ones that are hardest to 'like'. A lot of them complain about people moving here from the North, especially NY, NJ, lots of transplants from those States here, the weather here is a big draw. I have noticed more racism here than other States I have lived, but it's not 'in your face'. As you say, there are nasty people everywhere, you just learn to avoid them.

Try doing some research on citydata.com you will get lots of info on there, there is a forum for Charleston on there, I did a lot of research on there before we moved here, got good inside info from the 'locals'

I think you will love it here, if you coped with the creepy crawly's/snakes etc in Australia, you can cope here

Just a teaser...this is Isle of Palms
Thanks for this, and YES we would definitely rent before we buy, as much as anything I would want to be able to view ALOT of places before buying... and as you said we need to figure out which area works best for us, and hubby's commute would be the most important journey!
Thanks for the piccies - Ohhhhhh if this happens it will be just the injection of excitement life needs right now
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I have taken LOADS of pictures since I have been in Mount Pleasant (mainly the beach) if you'd like to see them I can give you the link to my Flickr page.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

paulinep is a jewel in the roughpaulinep is a jewel in the roughpaulinep is a jewel in the roughpaulinep is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Calling all South Carolina peeps!!

Haven't posted here in ages but wanted to add that I'm also in South Carolina - just outside Columbia, been here for 10 years or so and it's really quite a nice place to live once you get used to the weather!! The first couple of summers felt brutally hot but you adapt and learn to take walks at 7am and drink plenty water! I'm not a fan of bugs and snakes and I live in the country but our trusty cat takes care of ensuring that nothing yucky comes near the house!! Have only seen one snake around our house in the past 8 years! My biggest bug issue is fire ants......bloody awful and they always seem to find my feet
Anyway the people are lovely and friendly, you have to be careful about picking school districts as school quality can vary quite dramatically from area to area but other than that by far it's been one of my favourite places to live in the US
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

In the house we rented in Mount.P, we had a snake move into the gazebo roof, it was open wood slats and I think it was hiding from the heat, we had ivy covering it all. I was so scared of that snake, it had babies up there too, a couple fell on the patio and shriveled up! Eventually, it moved away! Yes, the fire ants are nasty and everywhere, we have a drum of 'sevens' that kills the whole nest off and keeps them away for a while.

This will be our 3rd full Summer here and I am hoping for a cooler one this year (every year) I doubt it will happen, just glad the RV has basement AC
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:12 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

In the house we rented in Mount.P, we had a snake move into the gazebo roof, it was open wood slats and I think it was hiding from the heat, we had ivy covering it all. I was so scared of that snake, it had babies up there too, a couple fell on the patio and shriveled up! Eventually, it moved away! Yes, the fire ants are nasty and everywhere, we have a drum of 'sevens' that kills the whole nest off and keeps them away for a while.

This will be our 3rd full Summer here and I am hoping for a cooler one this year (every year) I doubt it will happen, just glad the RV has basement AC
O...M....G Has completely gone off the idea of moving!! *hugs WA state and all its boringness*
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Burn1911
O...M....G Has completely gone off the idea of moving!! *hugs WA state and all its boringness*
It was a rat snake apparently, non poisonous!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Well a snake living in my gazebo would certainly cure any boredom I'd have!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It was a rat snake apparently, non poisonous!
I hate snakes, all of them, but the black rat/ racer snakes are good to have around as they keep copperheads away (i) by eating the critters because they are more effective hunters than copperheads, and (ii) by killing copperheads.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:22 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Well a snake living in my gazebo would certainly cure any boredom I'd have!
So you don't fancy coming with me
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

But then you'd miss this. (Excuse my kids and some birds getting in the way)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahge...7632243353393/
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - they are beautiful photos...
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

So you don't fancy coming with me
Sigh... When the weather is dismal and gray like this, wrestling with a snake seems doable....
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SarahG
But then you'd miss this. (Excuse my kids and some birds getting in the way)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahge...7632243353393/

Barbie definitely looks like she's having a blast!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.