Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Calling all South Carolina peeps!!

Calling all South Carolina peeps!!

Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Location: america currently in birmingham uk.......heading back to asheville nc 2014
steffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant future
Default Re: Calling all South Carolina peeps!!

Originally Posted by lelo29uk
Hi! I am currently living in Old Village Mount Pleasant and have to say that if you are set on coming - live closer to the water. Makes for a breeze and easier to fight the tourists when going to beach! I also hibernate during the summer. It is unbearable. Hot, humid and you need a shower just walking to the car. Oh and summer lasts from about end of April through September. You have to check with each individual beach on dog rules as they do not all allow unleashed dogs and it changes seasonally. However there are some truly amazing dog parks - James Island being my pups idea of doggie heaven. Bugs are huge - look up Palmetto Bugs - and come in your house no matter how much you clean. Freaked me out at first but you get used to them over time. Great food, great food, great food! Amazing! Lots of things to do- having lived in Charlotte, Asheville and Raleigh - Charleston is a really fun area to live in with Food & Wine, Charleston Fashion Week, SEWE and Spoleto. Lots of great farmers markets all around - so you can shop weekly and spend very little. Everyone is very nice and as more people come into the area it is becoming more diverse. Boeing has helped a lot with that. Upshot being if you are going to live in the South - Charleston really is one of the most amazing places. Great history, a "foodie heaven" and lots to do. Hope this helps! Would be glad to answer any questions you may have!
hey when did you live in asheville........maybe we know each other
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Location: america currently in birmingham uk.......heading back to asheville nc 2014
steffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Burn1911
OMG - can I get my own alligator to eat them?
you might have to let the palmetto bug eat the alligator.......lol
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:42 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

I am actually scared to ask this question - snakes?

Please be gentle with your answers.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 6:03 pm
Lelo

lelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this... Yep we were looking at close to the water, coming from a state where property is pricey to SC we are in a better position than going the other way around.
The beaches are like that in WA too, so we are prepared to not be able to be on them ALL all the time etc.
Sounds like you love it there, we are fellow foodies so that definitely entices... I think your thoughts about Boeing creating a more diverse culture is very true, a few people from around here are talking about moving, and if they do move more production there and take on contractors you are talking about people from all around the globe arriving there.
I think the differences are all change enough for us - the move to WA from England was SO easy, the culture is similar, the weather the same etc... I think part of the enticement for us at this point is how different it will be.

PS: I googled Palmetto bugs and just about fell off my chair!!! Jeeez Louise!!!

I am a military brat so usually end up appreciating wherever I am at but am looking into returning to England next year. The heat really is unrelenting and exhausts me - Plus I am super pasty and do not tan! Also for me the good ol' boy network mentioned above and the unwillingness to have an open mind about the world is pretty stifling when it comes to conversation. You can certainly find it everywhere but SC seems to breed a particular type of nastiness.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

I am actually scared to ask this question - snakes?

Please be gentle with your answers.
yep there are snakes........some can give a deadly bite........gotta be careful of them...........but chiggers give a more annoying bite
Old Apr 7th 2013, 6:14 pm
Lelo

lelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steffunny
hey when did you live in asheville........maybe we know each other
Went to WCU in late '90's early '00's and then stayed around for a while after that. Moved down to Charlotte 2005, I believe and then Charleston 2010. I still come up for Bele Cher every year! Love, love, love Asheville!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lelo29uk
Went to WCU in late '90's early '00's and then stayed around for a while after that. Moved down to Charlotte 2005, I believe and then Charleston 2010. I still come up for Bele Cher every year! Love, love, love Asheville!
did you ever go by mans ruin tattoo? thats where i work/worked.........bele chere is unfortunately done after this year.......no more.......unless something major happens..........asheville is my home in my heart......i truly love it there and fully intended upon moving back there but due to health reasons i need to be on flat land so hence tossing the idea of moving back to charleston...but my heart lies in those mountains
Old Apr 7th 2013, 6:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Spiders can be pretty huge too. I'm afraid the South has pretty much every variety of creepy crawly one would wish to avoid...
Old Apr 7th 2013, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

optomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really nice

I love South Carolina. I was born and raised there (I'm Civilservant's wife) and have been living in Georgia for almost 4 years now. I miss SC and go back frequently to visit family and friends. It's just so much different than Georgia, even the weather.

Once I finished school we plan on moving close to Myrtle Beach and I can not wait tot be back in SC!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

We have 7 different poisonous species of snakes in the state. Coral snake is a neuro toxic one; the other 6 are hemotoxic. Copperheads, rattlers, and water moccasins are the common ones in the Charleston area.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 8:31 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Spiders can be pretty huge too. I'm afraid the South has pretty much every variety of creepy crawly one would wish to avoid...
Originally Posted by Married2abrit
We have 7 different poisonous species of snakes in the state. Coral snake is a neuro toxic one; the other 6 are hemotoxic. Copperheads, rattlers, and water moccasins are the common ones in the Charleston area.
GREAT
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

tanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nice

The gators don't scare too much me - they seem wary of people.... just don't go near them during nesting / mating, don't waggle an arm around in water and you'll be fine. I think they're cute

Snakes scare me with regards to my dog & me to a lesser degree.

Evil 8 legged man-eating, poisionous fiends... well they really scare me.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen gators here. There is one in the lake by hubbys work. I was standing with my kids looking at it and my daughter starts waving at it, saying "hello mr alligator" and the bloody thing swam over to us and just looked at us from the water. Luckily we were behind a fence so I don't think it would have gotten close to us.
I've never seen any snakes or black widow spider. The palmetto bugs are a bit gross but I find all bugs gross!
I live 5 minutes from Isle of Palms Connector so getting to the beach is not a problem. Parking by front beach is free from mid October to mid March so parking meters have just kicked in again. $1 for an hour or you can park along Ocean Boulevard and other nearby streets for free. Lots of public access points to the beach.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Yeah, we have black widows (we really do - I've seen a couple, and there was one seen on the climbing frame at my daughter's kindergarten), which you've certainly heard of, and I the "brown recluse" which is a spider you should have heard of with a very nasty bite that can cause a big chunk of which ever part of your anatomy it bites, to die.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 8th 2013 at 2:55 am.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:33 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

.... Is starting to wish I had never started this thread

Yes I have heard of ALL of the creepies and crawlies and biteties.....

It is definitely my dogs I worry about more than me or hubby... I guess all my time I lived in Australia I never saw anything slither, crawl or swarm past me... BUT there is a first time for everything!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.