Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Calling all South Carolina peeps!!

Calling all South Carolina peeps!!

Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:13 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all South Carolina peeps!!

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Wondered what ever happened to you! Thought maybe you went camping and never came out!

I don't blame you for wanting to try something different. I can imagine the summers would be horrible, but if the winters, etc were half way decent that would surely make up for it! The winters here seem to drag on forever!! We have to hide out until we have a nice weekend (which was wonderful last weekend, wasn't it?) and then we try and get everything done at once! Gardening, sun worshiping, etc! lol

Hope you have fun planning your new adventure!!
Ha ha... we thought about camping and never returning life just got busy I guess!! nice to be able to return to BE and say HI *waves*

Last weekend was GLORIOUS we went camping!! ofcourse reliably the rain is back!!

I will keep you posted on our new adventure, if it starts to take off I will be on here quizzing ALOT!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

8.5% local tax on everything (grocery tax is reduced). Rabid Republican area; usually a undercurrent of racism especially in the richer areas. I was born in Charleston and have lived here all my life except when attending graduate school. Good that you're coming on a transfer it is very much "the good ol' boy network" in this area regarding jobs otherwise. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
Hubby is on Zillow now looking at Mt Pleasant I think I will be ok with the heat, it is him I worry about. Do you know much about St John's Island?

What is traffic like over there? Bugs? and beasties?

I think we would get a whole new load of visitors, everyone will want to come and see somewhere new.

Its really a no-brainer, if he gets the job we should go for it, nothing to keep us here except the rain and snow
I don't know much about St Johns Island, although my hubby reckons commute to Boeing would be easier from there than it would be from Mount P. Not sure what he's basing that on as he only goes as far as Daniel Island unless he has a meeting downtown!
My hubby travels on the 526 to Daniel Island and it is usually OK. Once you get more towards N Charleston area is gets a bit more busy.
The times I have driven out to Charleston or further afield from MP it is generally not too bad. The drivers here don't seem to be in such a rush as they were in Indiana. This may just be my opinion but they do seem more laid back, unless it is raining then they seem to have real issues!

Bugs haven't bothered me too much. I think I was bitten more by mosquito's in Indiana that I have been here. Fire ants are a real pain in the arse though. When they bit you you really know about it and the mark stays for a donkeys age!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:07 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I don't know much about St Johns Island, although my hubby reckons commute to Boeing would be easier from there than it would be from Mount P. Not sure what he's basing that on as he only goes as far as Daniel Island unless he has a meeting downtown!
My hubby travels on the 526 to Daniel Island and it is usually OK. Once you get more towards N Charleston area is gets a bit more busy.
The times I have driven out to Charleston or further afield from MP it is generally not too bad. The drivers here don't seem to be in such a rush as they were in Indiana. This may just be my opinion but they do seem more laid back, unless it is raining then they seem to have real issues!

Bugs haven't bothered me too much. I think I was bitten more by mosquito's in Indiana that I have been here. Fire ants are a real pain in the arse though. When they bit you you really know about it and the mark stays for a donkeys age!
Thanks Sarah, really appreciate the feedback, I am sure if this starts to take shape I will be back with MANY more questions. It is good that primarily all the info we have received has been mostly positive, we are really researching it and are probably much more informed than when we first arrived here 9 yrs ago, luckily WA is very likeminded to England so there was no huge shock

I have only heard lovely things about Charleston, so even if this doesn't amount to anything my interest is piqued enough to ensure a visit in our future.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Location: america currently in birmingham uk.......heading back to asheville nc 2014
steffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant future

im happy to answer any questions you might have about charleston area.........lived there many years......i moved from charleston to asheville nc.....im an american thats been living in UK for a lil over a couple of years now but making my way back home in the next year or two.......its funny cuz my daughter moved from charleston to wa state..........which is a huge difference......i loved charleston but couldnt take the heat anymore......it was physically making me sick........traffic is hectic but once you learn the city and all the short cuts its okay.........theres so much to do in the area......really no matter what you like to do its there........in my years there we got one snow that lasted 5 minutes........lots of bugs.......especially mosquitos and palmetto bugs.......dont forget the alligators and black widow spiders........the food is fantastic and i can 100% recommend seewee restaurant on hwy 17-lol........cost of living is far less than wa state.......i noticed a huge difference in the price of groceries.........lots of fun festivals, sports, theater, music............the beaches are wonderful and its easy to make your way to a quiet area with some searching.........i was born and raised in the south......i wouldnt live anywhere else in america..........i think its why i get so homesick.......i miss my southern way of living........best of luck on your move........im certain you will love charleston .........probably see ya there when i move back home.......steff
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Lake Wylie, just over the state line from Charlotte, NC and our property taxes are way lower than if we had built across the lake in NC. I was telling someone recently how to get to my house and when I said - across the bridge and then left - they replied - oh you live in the cheap seats!

For example to work out the property tax - you take the value of property x assessed rate x millage rate minus any exemptions. In York county they took out school operations from property tax (hence an exemption every year if this is your primary home) so it lowered our taxes considerably.

$400K x 4% x 300.1/1000 (- exemptions) = $1,961

I love it, great place to live. The South Carolina beaches are gorgeous - love Folly Beach and Hilton Head. You can let dogs off the lease as well on most beaches. July and Aug are pretty steamy but the rest of the year is perfect. The guns/god/anti gay/chubbers/republican nonsense surrounds you but you can choose to ignore it. I have to keep reminding my OH not to post on FB rude comments about bible bashing/gun toting/obese rednecks.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Location: america currently in birmingham uk.......heading back to asheville nc 2014
steffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant future

whats wrong with gun toting rednecks? i find myself a rather nice person
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:57 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Originally Posted by steffunny
im happy to answer any questions you might have about charleston area.........lived there many years......i moved from charleston to asheville nc.....im an american thats been living in UK for a lil over a couple of years now but making my way back home in the next year or two.......its funny cuz my daughter moved from charleston to wa state..........which is a huge difference......i loved charleston but couldnt take the heat anymore......it was physically making me sick........traffic is hectic but once you learn the city and all the short cuts its okay.........theres so much to do in the area......really no matter what you like to do its there........in my years there we got one snow that lasted 5 minutes........lots of bugs.......especially mosquitos and palmetto bugs.......dont forget the alligators and black widow spiders........the food is fantastic and i can 100% recommend seewee restaurant on hwy 17-lol........cost of living is far less than wa state.......i noticed a huge difference in the price of groceries.........lots of fun festivals, sports, theater, music............the beaches are wonderful and its easy to make your way to a quiet area with some searching.........i was born and raised in the south......i wouldnt live anywhere else in america..........i think its why i get so homesick.......i miss my southern way of living........best of luck on your move........im certain you will love charleston .........probably see ya there when i move back home.......steff
Originally Posted by Orangepants
We live in Lake Wylie, just over the state line from Charlotte, NC and our property taxes are way lower than if we had built across the lake in NC. I was telling someone recently how to get to my house and when I said - across the bridge and then left - they replied - oh you live in the cheap seats!

For example to work out the property tax - you take the value of property x assessed rate x millage rate minus any exemptions. In York county they took out school operations from property tax (hence an exemption every year if this is your primary home) so it lowered our taxes considerably.

$400K x 4% x 300.1/1000 (- exemptions) = $1,961

I love it, great place to live. The South Carolina beaches are gorgeous - love Folly Beach and Hilton Head. You can let dogs off the lease as well on most beaches. July and Aug are pretty steamy but the rest of the year is perfect. The guns/god/anti gay/chubbers/republican nonsense surrounds you but you can choose to ignore it. I have to keep reminding my OH not to post on FB rude comments about bible bashing/gun toting/obese rednecks.
Thankyou both for your wonderful replies...... both have really just confirmed all the good stuff that we have heard about the area - pleased to hear dogs can go off leash on most of the beaches too! as our pups love to run!

I can live with all the other people as I am hoping NOT to have too much to do with them, it is the country I want to see, the wonderful scenery etc... the people are the same the world over, you get those peeps here too!!! and funnily enough in England as well!

Just one thing "dont forget the alligators and black widow spiders........" backtracks on whole idea!!!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

tanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nice

I'm moving to the Charleston area in Sept' (if visa stuff all goes to plan) and I love it - admittedly my experience of the rest of the US is mainly the inside of airports, trip to MD & Universal Studios.

I can't comment on the property tax etc but the rent on our place is less than $600 a month. Looking on here there seems to be a lot of expats in the area. Food is gorgeous, especially if you like BBQ - beautiful beaches.

I struggled in the summer with the heat & humidity but not as much as I thought I would have. Just normal precautions apply, don't overdo it etc. The worst thing was going from 100 degree heat into very cold airconditioned buildings and back out again - horrible.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Burn1911
Thankyou both for your wonderful replies...... both have really just confirmed all the good stuff that we have heard about the area - pleased to hear dogs can go off leash on most of the beaches too! as our pups love to run!

I can live with all the other people as I am hoping NOT to have too much to do with them, it is the country I want to see, the wonderful scenery etc... the people are the same the world over, you get those peeps here too!!! and funnily enough in England as well!

Just one thing "dont forget the alligators and black widow spiders........" backtracks on whole idea!!!
haha ;
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:14 pm
Lelo

lelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! I am currently living in Old Village Mount Pleasant and have to say that if you are set on coming - live closer to the water. Makes for a breeze and easier to fight the tourists when going to beach! I also hibernate during the summer. It is unbearable. Hot, humid and you need a shower just walking to the car. Oh and summer lasts from about end of April through September. You have to check with each individual beach on dog rules as they do not all allow unleashed dogs and it changes seasonally. However there are some truly amazing dog parks - James Island being my pups idea of doggie heaven. Bugs are huge - look up Palmetto Bugs - and come in your house no matter how much you clean. Freaked me out at first but you get used to them over time. Great food, great food, great food! Amazing! Lots of things to do- having lived in Charlotte, Asheville and Raleigh - Charleston is a really fun area to live in with Food & Wine, Charleston Fashion Week, SEWE and Spoleto. Lots of great farmers markets all around - so you can shop weekly and spend very little. Everyone is very nice and as more people come into the area it is becoming more diverse. Boeing has helped a lot with that. Upshot being if you are going to live in the South - Charleston really is one of the most amazing places. Great history, a "foodie heaven" and lots to do. Hope this helps! Would be glad to answer any questions you may have!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:25 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Originally Posted by lelo29uk
Hi! I am currently living in Old Village Mount Pleasant and have to say that if you are set on coming - live closer to the water. Makes for a breeze and easier to fight the tourists when going to beach! I also hibernate during the summer. It is unbearable. Hot, humid and you need a shower just walking to the car. Oh and summer lasts from about end of April through September. You have to check with each individual beach on dog rules as they do not all allow unleashed dogs and it changes seasonally. However there are some truly amazing dog parks - James Island being my pups idea of doggie heaven. Bugs are huge - look up Palmetto Bugs - and come in your house no matter how much you clean. Freaked me out at first but you get used to them over time. Great food, great food, great food! Amazing! Lots of things to do- having lived in Charlotte, Asheville and Raleigh - Charleston is a really fun area to live in with Food & Wine, Charleston Fashion Week, SEWE and Spoleto. Lots of great farmers markets all around - so you can shop weekly and spend very little. Everyone is very nice and as more people come into the area it is becoming more diverse. Boeing has helped a lot with that. Upshot being if you are going to live in the South - Charleston really is one of the most amazing places. Great history, a "foodie heaven" and lots to do. Hope this helps! Would be glad to answer any questions you may have!
Thanks for this... Yep we were looking at close to the water, coming from a state where property is pricey to SC we are in a better position than going the other way around.
The beaches are like that in WA too, so we are prepared to not be able to be on them ALL all the time etc.
Sounds like you love it there, we are fellow foodies so that definitely entices... I think your thoughts about Boeing creating a more diverse culture is very true, a few people from around here are talking about moving, and if they do move more production there and take on contractors you are talking about people from all around the globe arriving there.
I think the differences are all change enough for us - the move to WA from England was SO easy, the culture is similar, the weather the same etc... I think part of the enticement for us at this point is how different it will be.

PS: I googled Palmetto bugs and just about fell off my chair!!! Jeeez Louise!!!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

tanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nice

If I can hi-jack slightly....

Lelo, can you send me details on dog parks & any dog walking spots you can think of.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the first time I saw and heard a Palmetto Bug. It sounded like someone was shaving my head...
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:32 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Originally Posted by civilservant
I remember the first time I saw and heard a Palmetto Bug. It sounded like someone was shaving my head...
OMG - can I get my own alligator to eat them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.