Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

calling all knowledgeable ones!!!!HELP!

calling all knowledgeable ones!!!!HELP!

Old Jul 21st 2002, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

kevinmckean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default calling all knowledgeable ones!!!!HELP!

I am a UK citizen, and my fiancee a U.S citizen. I am going to america on a K1 visa to get married. We have successfully completed and been accepted for the first part and 4 weeks ago mailed the final packet, packet 3 i guess? This included the affadavit of support with the checklist etc..

I am now in the UK waiting and waiting in hell...

I phoned the £1.50 a minute line and gave my case number to the "scottish woman", she said that there was no information on the computer, and to check back in 6 weeks, they update the computers every six weeks apparently.

I asked whether they had recieved my package a week later, she again said she has no information. She then added that because we waited so long in returning the checklist, it may make it invalid. (we waited 6 months because of relationship reasons) But to send a letter to them checking my status and reciept of the last packet.

PANIC SETS IN!!!!!!!!! THEN DEPRESSION!!

I phoned again and she then denied she said anything to me about it being invalid. (same scottish woman) And politely repeated send a letter to them.

On the forms with the checklist it specifically says PLEASE RETURN THIS (AS SOON AS POSSIBLE)

Could anyone please tell me whether these forms do have any kind of actual return date. I actually waited 6 months before I returned mine, SHOULD THIS MATTER? If so why wasn't this stated. I hope to god this is not the case, would appreciate any and and all responses.

Also am I supposed to get a letter saying they've recieved my third packet?

How long is the wait for an interview in the UK after they do confirm the reciept of my stuff?

Sorry for how long this is, but in return I send love and luck to all in the same situation, my heart goes to all of you and I wish you all a happy and speedy return to your loved ones.

Thankyou for all and any help

peacefully

Kevin McKean
Old Jul 21st 2002, 11:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: calling all knowledgeable ones!!!!HELP!

She is correct and it might well be invalid. If you went the I-129F, then the Notice of Approval is only good for four months. Within those four moths you have to have had your US Consulate interview for the K-1. The NOA is invalid after the date stated on the NOA as its expiration.

It is best that you write them asap and find out the status. It is likely that it can be reactivated and the dates extended if your US Fiancee writes them a letter stating they still are willing to marry you.

Rete
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 3:20 am
Robin

The Notice of Approval of the I-129F petition has an expiration date. Ours was
approved on May 24th, 2002 and expires on September 24th, 2002. So if you received
the approval 6 months ago, it has most likely expired. Have your fiance look on
her NOA and note the dates it is valid for - it's on the right of the notice under
the names.

I know the approval can be extended but I'm not sure if you can open it back up once
it has expired.

Good Luck!

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 3:20 am
Weegiewife

Dear Kevin,

We are a UK/US couple, and had some glitches with the documentation as well. Hope our
experience below helps.

On the second Notice of Action (NOA) (the approval of the I129F petition which seems
to initiate things through the London Embassy) there is a date that the approval
expires by. You may not have received it, because if I remember correctly, this NOA
is sent to the US citizen that initiates the petition. This would be your fiancee.

We were late sending our documentation in because we got duff information at my
fiance's local police station about the police report. We realized at the last minute
that we were perilously close to missing the deadline on the NOA. In fact, like you,
we didn't know if there was a deadline or not until I re-read the NOA and nearly
joined the brown trouser brigade when I saw that there was.

I panicked, and asked this board for advice and was given the recommendation to send
a letter to the consulate, asking that the notice of action be extended until we
could obtain the correct paperwork. My husband and I both wrote letters, stating the
reason for the delay, and indicating that we both still intended to marry. If I
remember correctly, I also called the embassy from the US to ask if this would be
acceptable. Your fiancee should call, since in the eyes of the US government, she is
the one initiating the petition for your entry on a K1. In any event, I would
definitely recommend that you both send letters pronto to the embassy politely
requesting that the NOA be extended, and that you both still intend to marry. You may
get a result, you may not, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. If they are recommending
that you send a letter, by all means do it.

My completely unsubstantiated hunch is that they are probably waiting for some kind
of confirmation from both of you that you still want to go ahead with the
application. Your paperwork may be sitting in a 'why haven't we heard from these
people' stack.

Judging from the dates on my now husband's letters, they sent out the confirmation of
receipt of packet 3 and the appointment letter almost as soon as the police report
came in. In November, we received an appointment date of 1 February. We indicated in
our letter that we weren't intending to marry until the end of March, so if you give
them an indication of when you hope to tie the knot, they MAY be able to take this
into consideration (but it's a *may*). Our 129F experience was nearly 2 years ago, so
the speed with which you are given an interview may depend on current workload/demand
at the embassy. Check this board for timelines to see what others are saying about
the lead time on London appointments.

Now, I am not an expert at these things, but that was our experience. I know this
doesn't help you find out the status of your application, but it may be a way to keep
the process and paperwork moving. Perhaps Rete, Alvena, or the other extremely wise
and brilliant members of this board can offer their advice.

I hope this helps, and I wish you all the best. Try not to get too depressed about
it. (I know, that's like saying 'try not to breathe')

All the best,

weegiewife

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 11:20 am
Blue Jjjj312412

I don't know if this will be of any help, but aswell as sending a letter stating a
request for an extension to your original approval date, by post, EMAIL the US
consulate also and you may be surprised by the all be it short but speedy, reply they
send. I had only emailed them on Friday afternoon, asking if they had received the
approved petition from TSC, to match up with my forms UK side, and this morning,
Monday 22, they had replied acknowledging they have received everything. So possibly
they can advise you further by this method also. Regards, Jacq

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Just so you don't get confused and assume you speak to the same "Scottish lady". The helpline is actually in Edinburgh and all
(or most) of the staff are Scottish.

Good luck