Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Calling all Edinburgh folk

Calling all Edinburgh folk

Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:08 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Calling all Edinburgh folk

Now, don't y'all go on about googling y'hear?

A close bud is going over in the summer with her golf mad hubby to trace their family 'roots'. (Don't ask me, I think it is mid 1800's or something, but you know how they are ).

They are wanting to train up from London, hang around Edin. for a few days, and then motor around the Highlands.

Anyone care to share a good trip around the Highlands for them, they would want about 3 to 4 days. They're driving back down to London.

I guess British Rail would be the place to go for train pricings, etc.?
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all
Default Re: Calling all Edinburgh folk

Originally Posted by izibear

A close bud is going over in the summer with her golf mad hubby to trace their family 'roots'. (Don't ask me, I think it is mid 1800's or something, but you know how they are ).

They are wanting to train up from London, hang around Edin. for a few days, and then motor around the Highlands.

Anyone care to share a good trip around the Highlands for them, they would want about 3 to 4 days. They're driving back down to London.

It really depends on what their interstes are, www.visitscotland.com is the place to visit for good info. They have lots of good suggestions on their site and if your friend contacts them they should be able to provide a few suggestions if there isn't anything suitable on the site.

I used to work in tourism in Scotland so once they decide where they want to go, PM me if you want and I'll try to suggest good places to stay/things to do in the area.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:01 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Day 1:

Edinburgh take the M8 to Glasgow off at Junc.30 and north over the Erskine Bridge (toll) take the A82 north along the banks of Loch Lomond (fanbloodytastic scenery) all the way through Argyll to Fort William in the Highlands of Scotland and stop there the night (Hotels no problem)

Roughly 150 to 175 miles

Day 2:

A82 from Fort William to Inverness. Stopping to look at Urquart Castle and then the Loch Ness Monster Exhibition Centre. Overnight in Inverness (Hotels available) Roughly 70 miles

Day 3:

A9 back to Edinburgh through the Cairngorm Mountains and the Grampian Mountains down to Perth then onto M90 take A91 to St.Andrews (birth place of Golf and nice hotels and named after Patron Saint of Scotland) Roughly 150 to 170 miles

Day 4: St. Andrews A917 south following the coast road all the way round to Inverkeithing over the Forth road bridge (Toll) back into Edinburgh for the afternoon. 60 to 70 miles

With this itinery you get to see the Highlands, the Lochs, The Cairngorms and Gramian Mountains and The sea. Wish I was doing this trip.

Only thing would be an early start on the first day due to M8 rush hour traffic to Glasgow but once over the Erskine Bridge it's plain sailing right through to Fort William.

Last edited by rushman; Jan 24th 2006 at 6:09 am.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:09 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear

Try www.thetrainline.com for prices. You can plan a trip, check availability and routes (i.e., number of train changes, etc., and buy online. Cheap tickets start disappearing as you get closer to travel date. Book early enough and tickets are much, much cheaper.

Only slight glitch may be getting the tix. They won't mail overseas, so they'd need to either have sent to a contact they will be visiting early in their trip, or arrange for pick-up at the station (though be aware pick-up is not available at some smaller stations)
Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:13 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Remember if they are going to be in Edinburgh the festival starts on August 13th .They may have to book early for hotels in the city. Great time to be in Edinburgh.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Thanks for all your help folk. I'll be sure to pass it on
Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Day 1:

Edinburgh take the M8 to Glasgow off at Junc.30 and north over the Erskine Bridge (toll) take the A82 north along the banks of Loch Lomond (fanbloodytastic scenery) all the way through Argyll to Fort William in the Highlands of Scotland and stop there the night (Hotels no problem)

Roughly 150 to 175 miles

Day 2:

A82 from Fort William to Inverness. Stopping to look at Urquart Castle and then the Loch Ness Monster Exhibition Centre. Overnight in Inverness (Hotels available) Roughly 70 miles

Day 3:

A9 back to Edinburgh through the Cairngorm Mountains and the Grampian Mountains down to Perth then onto M90 take A91 to St.Andrews (birth place of Golf and nice hotels and named after Patron Saint of Scotland) Roughly 150 to 170 miles

Day 4: St. Andrews A917 south following the coast road all the way round to Inverkeithing over the Forth road bridge (Toll) back into Edinburgh for the afternoon. 60 to 70 miles

With this itinery you get to see the Highlands, the Lochs, The Cairngorms and Gramian Mountains and The sea. Wish I was doing this trip.

Only thing would be an early start on the first day due to M8 rush hour traffic to Glasgow but once over the Erskine Bridge it's plain sailing right through to Fort William.

Rushman's so smart, he even included the right motorways.

Loch Lomond is fantastic (even better in the Autumn), I can totally agree with Rushman on this.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 4:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Rushman's so smart, he even included the right motorways.

Loch Lomond is fantastic (even better in the Autumn), I can totally agree with Rushman on this.
Before I left in 2001, I took a trip to Luss (I think that's what it was called) on the west side of Loch Lomond. Brilliant day, very peaceful, birds singing, water like glass, gentle breeze. One of those occasions where you ask yourself "Why would I want to leave this behind?" (also why I'm trying to get back!).
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:38 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Loch Ness is a must see also. Me (the Fifer) and the wife (the non-Fifer) went up there for a weekend shortly after getting married. Went up for a football game and stayed a few nights in Inversneckie (nice local name)
Took a great wee boat trip and there were only 5 passengers & the skipper. Us, another couple and a single American guy who was in town to do a story for GQ magazine, at least that's what he told us.

Tell your mate to look up the football schedule too as the SPL season should be starting around that time. Edinburgh has 2 teams - Hearts & Hibs.