Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are call centers operated by robots?

Wikiposts

Are call centers operated by robots?

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:46 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are call centers operated by robots?

I rang the number on the back of my bank card the other week and got through to a human in the same town, without pressing 1,2,3 or#........I was shocked and amazed
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 1:50 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I have just spent the last 25 minutes talking to my telephone service provider. I think that they were just offerinng to bundle a package and offer it cheaper but bloody hell you needed a degree in linguistics to work it out.

Operator: Here at Bell South we are only wishing to give you the best in value for money bla bla bla, 31 dollars are you authorised to make changes ?

Me: well I am only authorised to make changes if it doesnt increase the bill what is the 31 dollars for?

Operator: here at bla bla bal value for money
Me: so will this make my bill cheaper overall or is the 31 dollars extra

Operator: I do not work in accounts but Here at Bell South we are only wishing to give bla bla

Me; Well I am not authorised to make changes if they are going to increase the bill
Operator: Well as you know Here at Bell South we are only wishing to give
you the best in vaulue bla bla
This went round in circles for twenty minutes until I went and got the bill and said
are you saying it will make my bill 15 dollars cheaper
Operator: I do not work in accounts but Here at Bell South we are only wishing to give bla bla but yes about 15 dollars
Then she called me my husbands name about 5 times and repeated the value for money phrase about another 20. I think I have agreed to save 15 dollars but I may have signed up to work in a call center or anything is it always like this?
I feel your pain. I have BellSouth too. When I call for a request, I wait till they've done it and hang up half way through their sales pitch. Oh, I do say thank you first....usually over them speaking.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 3:08 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Too funny. I called to cancel a credit card the other week after they foeked up some stuff. But lo and behold I got a real live+living+thinking person in Michigan. Since that's worth more than gold I kept the card.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 3:45 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Usually, if you mash random buttons on the phone, you'll eventually get a live person
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 5:56 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rincewind
Usually, if you mash random buttons on the phone, you'll eventually get a live person

But if you call 2 different people you can get 2 different answers I hung up on one and later called back and got what I wanted. I hate them. At least a machine can't be a smartass.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 6:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

least you have the option...only got verizon in town for phone...
Old Feb 4th 2006, 12:07 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

This is too funny. I started working for a s/w firm last year that has built technology to solve this problem.

One of the main problems in call centers, due to their mergers and aquisitions, many of the agents have to be trained on and use at least 6 different applications on their desktops to get at "ALL" aspects of your call.

These applications are totally separate, and the agents has to switch and toggle between each app as you ask each question, change an address, want info in your bill etc.,

Our software makes them almost immediately work together so, the agent only has to ask you something once AND if you change something on your account, it changes all of their systems automatically.

Bellsouth is a funny one. They called me with the same $31 dollar offer but didn't realise I had a second line (anohter system), then didn't realise I had DSL (another system) and then didn't realise I had a domain through them (another system). 25 mins in the call, she still couldn't tell me how much I would save and SHE called me. Morons. Bellsouth is a target customer for our company
Old Feb 4th 2006, 5:02 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Too funny. I called to cancel a credit card the other week after they foeked up some stuff. But lo and behold I got a real live+living+thinking person in Michigan. Since that's worth more than gold I kept the card.
That's probably why you got throught to a real person, because a robot wouldn't be able to convince you to keep your card!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Because they are only trying to give me the very best in value and bla bla bla i guess

Seriously cos i needed to get phone and online quick we had to get a house and everthing organised in 10 days and using mobiles and calling cards it was simpler to find someone who did it all together. with the luxury of time would have shopped around. happy to hear recommendations have just downloaded skype and that looks promising someone mentioned media com.

Sure there is a lot i am doing wrong you should have seem my first haircut when I had no car and the nearest place to walk was Walmart :scared:
...Maybe it was me who mentioned Mediacom?...signed up for their package last October (digital cable tv,internet and phone)been very happy with it all so far,but I keep looking at Skype for calling the UK,might give it a try later....
as for haircuts....GOOD lUCK! took me,literally,years to find a hairdresser to just layer my hair!,then I found a whole lot of them all at the same shop!....how can anyone mess up just doing a layer cut?,it even used to look better when I layered it myself,looking in a mirror,than the total b-lls-up so many 'so called' hairdressers made!....Sophia
Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

I find that if you get a message asking for you to press 1,2,3 just ignore them and wait for someone to answer... 9 times out of 10 they do!

Anyone know about Tomato Vine VOIP??? i saw an ad for them.. they look pretty good but i wanted to know if you need an existing phone line to use it or can you just plug and go without one???

Oh, the indian call center thing... Natwest are now advertising over here that their telephone line will connect you to someone in England!!!! can you belive they are having to advertise this sh*t.... they will probably be indian anyways but still it proves how bad it is.

I called NTL about my broadband 2 weeks ago and spoke to someone in India who couldnt pronounce my name and had no idea about broadband!?!??!??! what the f**k :scared:
Old Feb 6th 2006, 5:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

BoA is funny, you need a pin number to speak to an operator, but to get a pin number, you've got to call an operator

That and there system, which is the same used by mbna, but they don't have it set up to make sense, and they don't have a clue how many people have called, or who they have called, so can't plan for busy periods....what joy.