Reload this Page >

California for work

California for work

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

captainpicard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: California for work

Originally Posted by elop
Definitely about the life changing experience, but for me, its more about Silicon Valley than it is about California. I'm sure it the Valley happened to be in Alaska I would still be interested...although the weather etc is a "nice to have"
Just going out there to find some innovation - there is zero here, therefore not much demand for those who want to innovate. There's plenty of demand for my skill set, but only to stick to standards - anyone thinking outside the box is quickly pushed back inside it....the word "lemmings" comes to mind :-)
Agreed. Silicon Valley is a big part of the attraction. There is a big software development community in San Francisco - looking forward to being part of that.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nathanbain
Agreed. Silicon Valley is a big part of the attraction. There is a big software development community in San Francisco - looking forward to being part of that.
As you said you are starting work in a couple of weeks...do you know what visa the company will be applying for?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

elop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As you said you are starting work in a couple of weeks...do you know what visa the company will be applying for?
Sounds to me like he had this sorted before even applying for the job
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me like he had this sorted before even applying for the job
Which is an impossibility unless he's married to a USC
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
Which is an impossibility unless he's married to a USC
Are you sure? What about the EB1?
http://www.workpermit.com/us/investor_eb1.htm

Look at the last section - Extraordinary ability - surely most people who want to have a shot at moving to Silicon Valley would have a fighting chance at this category - why else would a Silicon Valley company want to hire them?

Last edited by elop; Feb 24th 2012 at 12:31 am. Reason: typo
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Silicon Valley is full of H1-B visas. EB visas might be a hard sell except for those with very niche skills or lots of experience.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure? What about the EB1?
http://www.workpermit.com/us/investor_eb1.htm

Look at the last section - Extraordinary ability - surely most people who want to have a shot at moving to Silicon Valley would have a fighting chance at this category - why else would a Silicon Valley company want to hire them?
Because it takes donkeys to get one, which is why the H1B was set up, to get the employee into the US quickly without having to spend years waiting abroad to get one.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Because it takes donkeys to get one, which is why the H1B was set up, to get the employee into the US quickly without having to spend years waiting abroad to get one.
Maybe hard, but it could be a reasonable explanation for how he is starting a job 2 weeks after accepting an offer.
Personally the EB1 isn't for me - sounds like a full time job just to go through the process, but some people do it.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe hard, but it could be a reasonable explanation for how he is starting a job 2 weeks after accepting an offer.
Personally the EB1 isn't for me - sounds like a full time job just to go through the process, but some people do it.
No way in two weeks could he receive ANY sort of work visa. H1Bs can't be applied for until April 1st for a start date of the following October!!!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he has dual nationality, he doesn't seem to want to answer though.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
No way in two weeks could he receive ANY sort of work visa. H1Bs can't be applied for until April 1st for a start date of the following October!!!
Sorry, you misunderstand...I wasn't suggesting he applied for the visa 2 weeks ago. I was suggesting that he accepted a role and is about to start in 2 weeks as he wrote. He could have gained the visa at any time before this (months, years etc...) and only just started applying for roles recently,
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Did you read what Bob wrote? It takes years to get an EB1 through.
I know, but what I wrote was that he could have already had the visa before this....not that he gained a visa in 2 weeks. Lisa67 said that its impossible to have already had the visa, clearly not impossible - just difficult.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Again...you aren't reading the posts. He posted that he accepted the job today.
so what if he did?
He may have already had the visa which he applied to ages ago?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

In that case who applied for the visa?
read the link that I posted about the EB1, you apply for it yourself, that's why its a long/difficult process.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

I apologise if I misled you in an earlier post but in post 69 I clearly said it was impossible to get a work visa in 2 weeks.
I'm sure the OP will be along shortly to clear up the confusion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.