Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California here we come!

California here we come!

Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California here we come!

Originally Posted by JimMac
I understand that Pigtails and I suppose it can get a bit tiring but surely its up to the membership if they want to reply or not.
For my point I've filled in a lot of paperwork and spoken to a lot of people, plus embassies etc (and before I get shot down - I KNOW there will be a LOT MORE;-)
I know its "HOT" in Florida; What I need is - Hey Jim this is a good area to start looking in and why.
But thanks anyway as ANY help is appreciated - Cheers..
Ummm !! well outside of Orlando ..we are all gun toting hicks to be quite honest... The bit the tourist does not see....

All our Insurances cost an arm and a leg ... electricity water and cable is far in excess of what you pay in the UK ...

Steak and donuts are reasonably priced ...
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:50 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

I'm packing my bags right now.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
I'm packing my bags right now.
And where the bleedin hell have you been lately ..
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:55 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
And where the bleedin hell have you been lately ..
Watchin the new years message over and over....
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

JimMac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Celsius
This site might yield the OP some suggestions-

http://www.findyourspot.com/
Thanks for this - just filled it out and out of 24 SPOTS - guess what?

8 Floridas - including Tampa and West Palm Beach, Gainsville and Clearwater, Bradenton and Jacksonville. Plus Daytona Beach and Orlando that I'm not interested in

Aslo threw up Augusta and Houston Texas

And Charleston South Carolina.

Jim.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:00 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Watchin the new years message over and over....
and still laughing ...I bet ...
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:02 pm
Ray

Thanks for this - just filled it out and out of 24 SPOTS - guess what?
8 Floridas - including Tampa and West Palm Beach, Gainsville and Clearwater, Bradenton and Jacksonville. Plus Daytona Beach and Orlando that I'm not interested inAslo threw up Augusta and Houston Texas
And Charleston South Carolina.Jim.
More info on each here ... http://www.city-data.com/
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Sun or warmth?

There are plenty of places with sun but fewer with year-round warmth. That year-round warmth comes with the cost of a hot hot summer or exorbitant costs of living (as in Hawaii or California).

Austin (where I live) is VERY relaxed (as in you can wear nothing but a thong and a pair of high heels and walk down the street). There are plenty of folk from all over the world, but if you want an enclave of fellow Brits, this wouldn't be the place for you.

If you want relaxed way of life combined with intelligence and somewhat liberal thinking, then look at cities that have major universities. If you want conservative thinking, look at any of the states in the Southern US.

One note: from reading people who come over with very specific expectations, they end up disappointed because nothing is ever as it appears to a visitor's eye.
Relaxed way of life with liberal values AND intelligence AND sun - surely not?

While it would be good to have fellow Brits around I dont need to live in a Brit enclave, this is more about a new start for my wife and I and a better future for our kids.

Dont know about the thong and the high heels though.

Jim.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know about the thong and the high heels though.
Only one guy does this on a regular basis.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Ummm !! well outside of Orlando ..we are all gun toting hicks to be quite honest... The bit the tourist does not see....

All our Insurances cost an arm and a leg ... electricity water and cable is far in excess of what you pay in the UK ...

Hicksville it is then - I'll have mine medium rare....
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:14 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Second - I would consider anywhere, my mother was born in NJ so I would consider the SE,

I would look more South and Texas. I just want a new start with nice people and new friends, but after a couple of years of looking my wife wants Florida.
So far we've got:
California
the Mid Atlantic
The South
The Southwest.

The midwest is straight out because it gets cold.

This is like saying "I want to move to Europe. I'm thinking about France. Or perhaps Bulgaria. Sweden or Portugal would be nice. Maybe Estonia. The weather in Corsica seems nice, maybe there or Albania."
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:23 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Only one guy does this on a regular basis.
Did you have to mention Syllks strange habits...
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Ray,

My mother filed a I-130 and we're waiting for a 1st intereview and I beleive its about 2 years waiting time overall - not sure

The string was initially about CA but the replies (and I appreciate them as the more I out about CA - its not looking good) have been from people in Florida.

The first thing I want to do is find out about the best Floridian areas, towns, cities etc.

Where would people on this board go, with a family of four "2 teenage daughters", where do people on this board live, what's good about it etc.

I'm really dependent on real-life people because if I listened to salespeople and/or Realtors EVERYWHERE in Florida is THE PLACE!

As I say I'm going to the States in February and I need help from people who have taken that leap.

I'm not looking for Utopia - more suburbia and a good lifestyle

Jim.
Don't go to Florida like others have said try another state. Summer in Florida is humid rains all the time and is packed with tourists, winter is a little better. Schools are ok nothing fantastic, since we have left Florida we have noticed how cheap things are unlike Florida.House prices in Florida have shot through the roof in the last 18 months so no bargains to be had there.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

...my wife and I and our two teenage daughters have had enough and we want to exit stage right - the UK.
The usual opening gambit from starry eyed Brits who've had a week in Orlando.

WOW - - Just to reaffirm I joined this forum for intelligent conversation and help with a way forward
Wrong place for that.

You’ve certainly gone off on one haven’t you? – Too many e-numbers since you went Stateside – Or is it those 365 days you spend in the theme parks that have scrambled your brain?
No I cant stand them.

I’ll just put it down to the fact that as you only joined 3 months ago and you’ve already posted a phenomenal 2,790 that you don’t have a lot else to do. Nevertheless I do hope the rest of your posts were more helpful to others. (Watch you don’t drop your Notebook while typing on any of the water rides eh)
Not everything is always as it seems.
Most of posts are draped in sarcasm. If you stay you'll get used to it. Or not. Your choice.

Inane babbling and "FREE GUNS" I don’t think I’ll be moving into your neighbourhood any time soon!!
PS About the guns...its not true, you have to pay for them. But there are lots in every neighbourhood in Florida. If you want I'll show you my collection, and I'm sure Ray will show you his if you ask nicely.

Don’t know if you’re going to the Magic Kingdom or you’re on Magic Mushrooms. All I’m looking for is information and help in finding a new life for my family
Its too much sun that does it.

PPS West Palm Beach is great. You'll love it.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:53 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
PPS West Palm Beach is great. You'll love it.

Classic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.