Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California here we come!

California here we come!

Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California here we come!

Originally Posted by JimMac
Sun and a more relaxed way of life and I think there is some comfort in the amount of Brits that have moved to Florida. I've been looking at this for years so its not a snap decision and yes I've looked at other States the latest was CA but no matter where - it always comes back to Florida..
Sun or warmth?

There are plenty of places with sun but fewer with year-round warmth. That year-round warmth comes with the cost of a hot hot summer or exorbitant costs of living (as in Hawaii or California).

Austin (where I live) is VERY relaxed (as in you can wear nothing but a thong and a pair of high heels and walk down the street). There are plenty of folk from all over the world, but if you want an enclave of fellow Brits, this wouldn't be the place for you.

If you want relaxed way of life combined with intelligence and somewhat liberal thinking, then look at cities that have major universities. If you want conservative thinking, look at any of the states in the Southern US.

One note: from reading people who come over with very specific expectations, they end up disappointed because nothing is ever as it appears to a visitor's eye.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Sun and a more relaxed way of life and I think there is some comfort in the amount of Brits that have moved to Florida. I've been looking at this for years so its not a snap decision and yes I've looked at other States the latest was CA but no matter where - it always comes back to Florida..
Chicago is nice - 2 seasons (hot and cold), not as crowded as you might think, some parts of the 'burbs are very nice with top schools.

The downside is it gets really cold in the winter.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

JimMac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Hello Jim.....

we get a lot of posts from people who haven't researched the issue, and believe that moving to the US is as easy as moving house in the UK -- or at least no harder than within the EU.

As you know from your mother's filing and your wait time, it isn't at all that easy, and some people refuse to be convinced otherwise. There are some rites of initiation and as soon as people realise that you have researched and have a chance of (legally) moving here, they will begin to offer help. The more concrete your question, though, the more helpful we can be.

As to *how* to get here more quickly/easily there is a visa forum which may be more helpful. As to where to go when you get here.... you have chosen the right place. Hang out for a while as different people talk about where they live.

Amy
native USC married to a Dutchman, in process of getting HIS visa.
Hi Amy,

I know it’s not easy but it’s something I've got to do. I have researched and I believe everything will come good - eventually. I just want to get a start and if buying a small business is the way then that’s what I'll do.

Thanks for the visa forums tip and I'll look in there, its important for me to get some feedback on good areas as I want to have a good look round in Feb and I guess that will mean contacting realtors, having viewings etc?

Regards - Jim.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Chicago is nice - 2 seasons (hot and cold), not as crowded as you might think, some parts of the 'burbs are very nice with top schools.

The downside is it gets really cold in the winter.
Looked at Chicago and no matter what it had going for it, the winter just blew it out - brrrrrr..
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Yeah, one thing you need to check up on (Ray probably knows) is what happens to your kids if you're here on E-2 and they turn 18 before the I-130 is approved.
Good point and not one I had thought (or knew of, what do you say Ray?)
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:53 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Sun and a more relaxed way of life and I think there is some comfort in the amount of Brits that have moved to Florida.
OK, three points. First if you want to move away from the UK why would you target an area that has been colonised by Brits - are you really sure the UK is that bad ??
Second, weather is exactly that, just weather. Once you live somewhere with 300 days sunshine a year you will soon get tired of it, and you cannot talk to or hang out with sunshine - that's what friends and family are for, and that's who you'll be leaving behind.
Third, and there will prob be differing views on this subject amongst the folks on here but to my mind the US does not have a more relaxed way of life than the UK. To my mind they are on a par, but once you see the attitude that yanks have to work you may realise that it is much more uptight than the UK.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Good point and not one I had thought (or knew of, what do you say Ray?)
Yes !! your kid will haveto leave at 18 ..unless they are in full time education then its 21 .. best to marry them off at around 16 ...
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Looked at Chicago and no matter what it had going for it, the winter just blew it out - brrrrrr..
I always hear good things about Texas; anyone got anything bad to say about that place?
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I have researched
The evidence says no.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Texas; anyone got anything bad to say about that place?
Amy, Lesley, Syllk ...
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by USBound
regardless of the VISA/GC situation I will give advice on what I know of California.

Its sunny and warm towards HOT 300+ days of the year,

In certain areas the cost of living is prohibitive (major cities mostly),

House prices are absurd compared to the rest of the universe - look to spending 10->12x average salary on a standard 2 bedroomed 1600sqrft house, I earn WELL above average and CANNOT afford to buy (or even save very much).

There is a LOT of work in the major cities but it would depend upon what you want to do.

Don't expect a startup company to work out; there are a billion of every type of profession here....

Due to the above EVERYTHING can be found within 20mins of any city location...

Cities are crowed, I live in the san fernando valley and its fairlys small... we STILL have 1Million + people...

Hollywood gets old after 1 day

Sunny weather whilst appreciated if you visit home, gets old after 3months; you will crave rain but hate the affect it has on people when it arrives (headless chickens come to mind).

taxes here are high with little actual benefit unless you count "cops" the TV program not the force.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some people on here who will try to dash your dreams and give you their "real world" advice... mine would be to stick with it, contact an immigration lawyer and get some sound advice.

Cali might not be your place of choice but it is better than all the places I lived in the UK and whilst some people on here reckon its way too expensive to live here; its STILL a lot cheaper than everywhere I lived in the UK (I got around).
Thanks for this you've ID'd some of my concerns for CA and I wouldnt consider the major cities, - But I'm glad you like it there.

Furthermore you've got something right on the money that a lot of people dont realise and that is - - There is NOWHERE more expensive pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar than the UK!!

Any places you would suggest to look at?

Jim.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:05 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The evidence says no.
To be fair he seems to have looked at weather.com (briefly)
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

This site might yield the OP some suggestions-

http://www.findyourspot.com/
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
OK, three points. First if you want to move away from the UK why would you target an area that has been colonised by Brits - are you really sure the UK is that bad ??
Second, weather is exactly that, just weather. Once you live somewhere with 300 days sunshine a year you will soon get tired of it, and you cannot talk to or hang out with sunshine - that's what friends and family are for, and that's who you'll be leaving behind.
Third, and there will prob be differing views on this subject amongst the folks on here but to my mind the US does not have a more relaxed way of life than the UK. To my mind they are on a par, but once you see the attitude that yanks have to work you may realise that it is much more uptight than the UK.

Hope this helps
First point - YES!

Second - I would consider anywhere, my mother was born in NJ so I would consider the SE, I would look more South and Texas. I just want a new start with nice people and new friends, but after a couple of years of looking my wife wants Florida.

Third - I dont know about, but for their sake - I sincerely hope not!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pigtails
Awww...JimMac, don't mind AWP. There's just a ton of posts on this board from idiots who don't have a clue and post shit like "hey, I'd like to move to Florida, is the weather really as nice as they say it is? And does anyone know the paperwork I have to fill out"

Morons who have done zero research. Gets a bit tiring after a while.
I understand that Pigtails and I suppose it can get a bit tiring but surely its up to the membership if they want to reply or not.

For my point I've filled in a lot of paperwork and spoken to a lot of people, plus embassies etc (and before I get shot down - I KNOW there will be a LOT MORE;-)

I know its "HOT" in Florida; What I need is - Hey Jim this is a good area to start looking in and why.

But thanks anyway as ANY help is appreciated - Cheers..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.