British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   California here we come! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/california-here-we-come-349093/)

JimMac Jan 18th 2006 10:45 am

California here we come!

Hi All,

I'm trying to find out as much as poss about CA, my wife and I and our two teenage daughters have had enough and we want to exit stage right - the UK.

If anyone can point me to strings or good forums that can tell me about the different parts of the State it would be Great.

I'm looking for a good family life, lots of activites, in a thriving community and schooling is important.

Cheers - Jim.

ScousePete Jan 18th 2006 10:49 am

Re: California here we come!

Originally Posted by JimMac
Hi All,

I'm trying to find out as much as poss about CA, my wife and I and our two teenage daughters have had enough and we want to exit stage right - the UK.

If anyone can point me to strings or good forums that can tell me about the different parts of the State it would be Great.

I'm looking for a good family life, lots of activites, in a thriving community and schooling is important.

Cheers - Jim.

http://www.ca.gov/ but way before that, read this http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330696 to see if you can come over.

JimMac Jan 18th 2006 11:41 am

Originally Posted by ScousePete
http://www.ca.gov/ but way before that, read this http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330696 to see if you can come over.

Thanks for this Pete but my mothers American so I dont think there's a problem as far as getting in is concerned.

Jim.

JimMac Jan 18th 2006 11:51 am

Originally Posted by ScousePete

BTW: We initially thought of Florida (and went over last year but only for a weeks break and we were not looking at property at that time) would love to find out more about "Real Florida" and not the holiday town. Its a serious lifestlye change we want and its not an investment or a holiday let.

I want my kids to have lots of things to do, to integrate in good schools a colleges etc.

In fact Florida would be MY first choice as I believe that CA has too many taxes and is too expensive.

Want to make a trip mid February just got to decide is it back to the sunshine state for a serious look around or is it, Los Angeles Airport bound??

Cheers - Jim.

Englishmum Jan 18th 2006 11:53 am

What are you going to do about a job?

JimMac Jan 18th 2006 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
What are you going to do about a job?

I've got a business that I can run online, or could be interested in buying an existing business over there.

Ray Jan 18th 2006 12:51 pm

Have you checked to see what the wait time is for a visa number for FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES for Married Sons and Daughters of Citizens

Or did you Mother file a I-130 many years ago ..

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 18th 2006 12:51 pm

BTW: We initially thought of Florida (and went over last year but only for a weeks break and we were not looking at property at that time) would love to find out more about "Real Florida" and not the holiday town. Its a serious lifestlye change we want and its not an investment or a holiday let.

I want my kids to have lots of things to do, to integrate in good schools a colleges etc.

In fact Florida would be MY first choice as I believe that CA has too many taxes and is too expensive.

Want to make a trip mid February just got to decide is it back to the sunshine state for a serious look around or is it, Los Angeles Airport bound??

Cheers - Jim.

The REAL Florida is not, as some believe, made up of sand and trees, no no, infact the streets are paved with gold, the houses are all made from candy (And they are darned BIG houses I can tell you. Most are at least the size of Buckingham Palace). No-one pays any taxes or even does any work. It never, ever rains here. Ever. Its not called the Sunshine State for nothing! And if you live here then you can go to the big house on the hill and say the magic word (They give you that along with a big wad of money when you land) and you get FREE passes to all the theme parks (that all 2543 of them) for the whole year.

Oh, the schools are best in the world. And Free. And they give you a free scholarship to the university of your choice. How about that eh? Infact - and we like to keep this quiet so as not to brag too much - but the entire student body at Harvard is made up from Florida kids.

Infact all the other poor states really look up to Florida. If you happen to travel outside Florida to the underprivaleged 49 other states, god knows why you'd want to go to such dusgusting sub-human places, but if you did then as soon as they see your Florida License plate they will all want to clean you shoes and treat you like a king!

Oh did I mention free guns? Well as a new Florida resident you get to choose a gun for free! We dont really like them here but we have them incase the peasants from, say, Georgia or Alabama - or God forbid - New York try to get in without us seeing.

So what do we do since we dont have to actually earn any money here? Well, theres always the (free to us) themeparks - they are great. And then theres all the swimming, boating, beachtime etc. Of course everyone has their own private beach.

So what are you waiting for? Get on over because I know for a fact that they are advertising for more British to come live here since even the Floridians look up to us and want us all to live here so we can show them how real civilised people live!

JimMac Jan 18th 2006 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Have you checked to see what the wait time is for a visa number for FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES for Married Sons and Daughters of Citizens

Or did you Mother file a I-130 many years ago ..

Ray,

My mother filed a I-130 and we're waiting for a 1st intereview and I beleive its about 2 years waiting time overall - not sure

The string was initially about CA but the replies (and I appreciate them as the more I out about CA - its not looking good) have been from people in Florida.

The first thing I want to do is find out about the best Floridian areas, towns, cities etc.

Where would people on this board go, with a family of four "2 teenage daughters", where do people on this board live, what's good about it etc.

I'm really dependent on real-life people because if I listened to salespeople and/or Realtors EVERYWHERE in Florida is THE PLACE!

As I say I'm going to the States in February and I need help from people who have taken that leap.

I'm not looking for Utopia - more suburbia and a good lifestyle :cool:

Jim.

Ray Jan 18th 2006 1:27 pm

Ray,
My mother filed a I-130 and we're waiting for a 1st intereview and I beleive its about 2 years waiting time overall - not sure

I believe you come under third preference ... current wait time is 8 years ...
but do check ..

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_2771.html

Celsius Jan 18th 2006 1:55 pm

Ray,

The string was initially about CA but the replies (and I appreciate them as the more I out about CA - its not looking good) have been from people in Florida.

The first thing I want to do is find out about the best Floridian areas, towns, cities etc.

Where would people on this board go, with a family of four "2 teenage daughters", where do people on this board live, what's good about it etc.

I'm really dependent on real-life people because if I listened to salespeople and/or Realtors EVERYWHERE in Florida is THE PLACE!

As I say I'm going to the States in February and I need help from people who have taken that leap.

I'm not looking for Utopia - more suburbia and a good lifestyle :cool:

Jim.

If you want what you describe in your last sentence, then cross FL and CA off your list. Those two states can have extreme weather and the cost of living in CA is prohibitive.

You should look at states in between the two coasts.

fatbrit Jan 18th 2006 1:56 pm

More like eight at the moment, and this figure is more likely to increase than anything else. So there's little point in making plans at the moment unless you first work out how you're going to live over here. Maybe combine with an E-2?

JimMac Jan 18th 2006 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
The REAL Florida is not, as some believe, made up of sand and trees, no no, infact the streets are paved with gold, the houses are all made from candy (And they are darned BIG houses I can tell you. Most are at least the size of Buckingham Palace). No-one pays any taxes or even does any work. It never, ever rains here. Ever. Its not called the Sunshine State for nothing! And if you live here then you can go to the big house on the hill and say the magic word (They give you that along with a big wad of money when you land) and you get FREE passes to all the theme parks (that all 2543 of them) for the whole year.

Oh, the schools are best in the world. And Free. And they give you a free scholarship to the university of your choice. How about that eh? Infact - and we like to keep this quiet so as not to brag too much - but the entire student body at Harvard is made up from Florida kids.

Infact all the other poor states really look up to Florida. If you happen to travel outside Florida to the underprivaleged 49 other states, god knows why you'd want to go to such dusgusting sub-human places, but if you did then as soon as they see your Florida License plate they will all want to clean you shoes and treat you like a king!

Oh did I mention free guns? Well as a new Florida resident you get to choose a gun for free! We dont really like them here but we have them incase the peasants from, say, Georgia or Alabama - or God forbid - New York try to get in without us seeing.

So what do we do since we dont have to actually earn any money here? Well, theres always the (free to us) themeparks - they are great. And then theres all the swimming, boating, beachtime etc. Of course everyone has their own private beach.

So what are you waiting for? Get on over because I know for a fact that they are advertising for more British to come live here since even the Floridians look up to us and want us all to live here so we can show them how real civilised people live!

WOW - - Just to reaffirm I joined this forum for intelligent conversation and help with a way forward

You’ve certainly gone off on one haven’t you? – Too many e-numbers since you went Stateside – Or is it those 365 days you spend in the theme parks that have scrambled your brain?

I’ll just put it down to the fact that as you only joined 3 months ago and you’ve already posted a phenomenal 2,790 that you don’t have a lot else to do. Nevertheless I do hope the rest of your posts were more helpful to others. (Watch you don’t drop your Notebook while typing on any of the water rides eh)

Inane babbling and "FREE GUNS" I don’t think I’ll be moving into your neighbourhood any time soon!!

Don’t know if you’re going to the Magic Kingdom or you’re on Magic Mushrooms. All I’m looking for is information and help in finding a new life for my family :mad:

AdobePinon Jan 18th 2006 2:23 pm

WOW - - Just to reaffirm I joined this forum for intelligent conversation and help with a way forward

:D :D LMFAO!

JimMac,

I'd suggest following up on fatbrit's advice (E-2 visa) and buying a business to start the process. You'll be waiting a long time otherwise.

JimMac Jan 18th 2006 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius
If you want what you describe in your last sentence, then cross FL and CA off your list. Those two states can have extreme weather and the cost of living in CA is prohibitive.

You should look at states in between the two coasts.

I think your right about CA, plus its a bit to PC in a lot of areas (And thats the last thing I need;-)

I've looked at other states but the wifes not interested - Florida looks favourite!