Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California or Florida

California or Florida

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California or Florida

Originally Posted by keys
Hi Jordan,

I must say that your thoughts and insight are the must objective, fair and balance comment thus far. I have just newly joined this forum, and l must say there are LOADS OF SHARKS in this forum it's unbelievable and unreal. The Californians on this forum, must understand that as beautiful and desirable California is, California has major, major major issues and may just be living in her past glory and that is scary.
You've been given plenty of advice.

Just because you haven't responded to anyones questions in any meaningful way, how are you honestly expecting anyone to provide anything else more meaningful?

Generalities are all a bit pointless if you've got specifics in mind, other wise Florida is full of old people and shit infrastructure and California is broke...but how does that help you.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:03 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

I can't be bothered to read through the thread - why have you discounted the other 47 mainland states? Is it because Disney only have a presence in CA and FL?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:22 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I can't be bothered to read through the thread - why have you discounted the other 47 mainland states? Is it because Disney only have a presence in CA and FL?
They're E2 visa folks. Nuff said.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 1:00 am
Just Joined

keys is an unknown quantity at this point

Here we go, the sharks are out again....
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 1:21 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

California is one of the must worst performing state in the nation economically and definitely of one the worst in tax and a lot more wrong with it, tell me what rules about that?
However out of all the states you could choose to live in you are considering CA as one of the only 2

You'll fit right in whichever state, as you obviously don't understand sarcasm.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 1:33 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Well after the recent thread about regs being rude to newbies, this is a nice turnaround with a newbie being snippy with someone who is trying to help them
In this case it would appear that the OP is a complete idiot, or is unable to read the responses they are being given.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go, the sharks are out again....
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Still waiting to find out how you can get an E2 without even knowing which side of the country you are investing is.

Has to be a wind up.

Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

As a Scotsman living in California, here's my two cents.

California is the best place to live on the planet.

The nation's best national park (Yosemite), the best weather, the coolest city (San Francisco), the best skiing (Mammoth, Kirkwood, Squaw), the most geographical variety, awesome universities, the best tech jobs.....the list goes on and on.

The only place I've been that even comes close to matching California for lifestyle is Seattle and the Pacific Northwest. Colorado seems alright too.

Quite frankly it's a joke that people mention Florida in the same breath.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
California is the best place to live on the planet.

The nation's best national park (Yosemite), the best weather, the coolest city (San Francisco), the best skiing (Mammoth, Kirkwood, Squaw), the most geographical variety, awesome universities, the best tech jobs.....the list goes on and on.
True - but you lose points for Los Angeles and for Proposition 8, so New England wins.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Why only CA or FL? I have been to both on vacation and enjoyed my time spent there. Not sure I would want to live there though. I have 2 kids (ages 6 and 8) and we currently live in Central Indiana. (It looks like we could be moving to SC at the start of 2012) The town we live in has lots to do, great schools, friendly (for the most part) people and we like it here. We can also drive to the neighboring States for visits and have so far traveled to IL, KY, TN, OH, MI, MO, MS, LA, FL, GA, NC, SC, AL. I'd never set foot in Indiana before we moved here. Obviously we came over on a different visa to the one you are contemplating so we knew what State we would end up in when we had our interview at the Embassy in London.

If CA or FL are your only choices then you can check out this site for ideas about schools etc.
This site would also give you ideas about what schools. Bear in mind that the street you live on will most likely have the deciding role on what school your kids go to due to school boundary lines.

You really need to know what business you will be running as that will probably help you really narrow down your choice of State to live in. I am not familiar with the E2 visa so I don't know if you should already know what the business will be before you have the visa interview or not but I am sure you already know what you're doing as moving with kids is a huge life change and not to be entered into lightly.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:40 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Houston does not suck. :curse:
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:40 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Houston does not suck. :curse:
Does so.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Does so.
How dare you.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:54 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
How dare you.
It's full of sharks. And nut-jobs. And sharks who are nut-jobs. And nuts who are shark-jobs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.