Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California or Florida

California or Florida

Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California or Florida

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My husband sees more of the 405 than any dolphins and beach volleyball
Poor guy.
When we drove down 5 and got to LA my mother took pictures she's never seen so much traffic in her life, every lane full, creeping along, and it wasn't even rush hour (thats a misnomer)
Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:42 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
Humidity -yes,luckily someone invented this thing called Air conditioning and hey we can allways jump in the pool.
That's brave with all those lightning storms, you'll become bbq food yourself.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

keys is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,

Many thanks for all your fascinating and intriguing responses which l very much appreciate, but l must say that there seems to be no clear winner between Florida and California, which leaves me and my family more confused and baffled, but nevertheless, l appreciate every thought and input.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:30 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keys
Dear All,

Many thanks for all your fascinating and intriguing responses which l very much appreciate, but l must say that there seems to be no clear winner between Florida and California, which leaves me and my family more confused and baffled, but nevertheless, l appreciate every thought and input.
Maybe if you posted about a more definate area in Florida and California we could come up with some better answers.

I lived in Los Angeles for 3 years and hated it, I now live in Silicon Valley and love it, so asking about a state won't get any definate answers.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Dear All,

California.

Florida blows. Flat as a fart, nothing but tornados , trailer parks , tourists, snowbirds, humidity , heat and that bloody three fingered mouse.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,

How did the Consulate interview go?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
California.
California also has "trailer parks, tourists, snowbirds, humidity, heat and that bloody three fingered mouse." Florida may be flat, but that's because it isn't sitting on the San Andreas Fault about to fall away into the ocean!

Ian
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:43 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
All of which just goes to show that the OP's question is really impossible to answer.
Not true. Ridgecrest, CA, is clearly the answer.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
California also has "trailer parks, tourists, snowbirds, humidity, heat and that bloody three fingered mouse." Florida may be flat, but that's because it isn't sitting on the San Andreas Fault about to fall away into the ocean!

Ian
Yes bloody place,lumpy as hell makes walking a right bugger, no humidity though, although Hollywood is pretty much enough to negate any positives it's got ....

Last edited by Englishman43; Oct 18th 2011 at 10:51 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Not true. Ridgecrest, CA, is clearly the answer.
How about Parkfield?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:35 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
How about Parkfield?
Too close to somewhere. Needles might be better.

OP: You're talking about moving from a country with an area of 94,000 square miles to one of two states with a combined area of 230,000 square miles. We sure as hell don't know what you want. If you had a couple of starting points, you might get more useful info.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Too close to somewhere. Needles might be better.

AKA Needless, as one of the locals told me once.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And this is a visa question how?

Anyway....what might help and I can no way be arsed to look through past posts to find out...

What's the business?
Travel required?
Potential employee pool?
Expected benefits for employees? - CA would be harder to get rid of tech folk than Florida etc.

What do you do for fun? Like the outdoors for camping, hiking, water sports? Prefer the indoors and theatre kind of stuff?

What kind of budget are you looking for to spend on a house? Looking for a house with a pool or a condo high rise in a big city?

What kind of commute are you willing to live with?

Public transport important or not?

What kind of politics/religion are you into or prepared for?

Bla, bla, bla, bla...at the moment, this is just a daft open ended question with no meaningful answer.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

keys is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your unfortunate remark, as if you have truly gone through past posts on this topic, you would have noticed it came from a family of three children with an E2 visa application trying to take a life transforming decision between Florida and California which is more family friendly, best for the kids education and has better prospect for a professional with banking and finance background. Any positive contribution from your own rich personal experience will be well appreciated by myself and husband, as we believe in the multitude of good counsel, there is safety.
We have been on holiday to these places, but l also know that there is a difference between flying in to holiday and flying in to stay a little longer, and that is why hearing from people who are already on ground in these states/cities are so vital. And by the way our E2 visa has just been approved.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

And by the way our E2 visa has just been approved.
If your E2 Visa has been approved didn't you have to define the location of the business in the application? What is the business? Would it do better in California or Florida?

We chose California (Orange County) partly because we have family here and had visited many times over a period of 14 years before making the decision to move. We love California and you couldn't pay me to move to Florida. I hate heat, humidity and bugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.