Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California Driving Test Experience

California Driving Test Experience

Old Mar 7th 2012, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default California Driving Test Experience

What a NIGHTMARE of a day! I dutifully arrived at the DMV at 10.30 for my 11 am driving test. An hour and 45 min wait later the examiner is going over the car (rented car) and points out the rear turn signal was out so I couldn't do the test! After waiting 20 mins inside I was told I could redo that day as long as I got back to the DMV before 2pm. Called the car rental company who said I'd be quicker getting it fixed myself thent they would reimburse me. Cue me frantically trying to find a garage and make the wee man stop gossiping and fix the damn car! Arrived back at the DMV at 1.30pm, another hour and a half later i get to do my test! I passed and am quote 'a very safe driver!'

Got the car back to the rental place who to their credit were all apologies and gave me a 33% discount and drove me home. So, 6 hours later than planned I got home and was knackered and extremely hungry!

The test itself was a joke. 15 mins of driving round the streets, no high speed driving or anything. I could tell within 5 mins of the test starting that we were making our way back to the DMV office. The only 'manouvere' if you can even call it that was being asked to reverse in a straight line. I didn't think the examiner was even really looking at me for mirror use etc. I didn't even have to do any high speed driving so all he really tested was my ability to turn left and right in a 35 mph zone.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Driving Test Experience

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
What a NIGHTMARE of a day! I dutifully arrived at the DMV at 10.30 for my 11 am driving test. An hour and 45 min wait later the examiner is going over the car (rented car) and points out the rear turn signal was out so I couldn't do the test! After waiting 20 mins inside I was told I could redo that day as long as I got back to the DMV before 2pm. Called the car rental company who said I'd be quicker getting it fixed myself thent they would reimburse me. Cue me frantically trying to find a garage and make the wee man stop gossiping and fix the damn car! Arrived back at the DMV at 1.30pm, another hour and a half later i get to do my test! I passed and am quote 'a very safe driver!'

Got the car back to the rental place who to their credit were all apologies and gave me a 33% discount and drove me home. So, 6 hours later than planned I got home and was knackered and extremely hungry!

The test itself was a joke. 15 mins of driving round the streets, no high speed driving or anything. I could tell within 5 mins of the test starting that we were making our way back to the DMV office. The only 'manouvere' if you can even call it that was being asked to reverse in a straight line. I didn't think the examiner was even really looking at me for mirror use etc. I didn't even have to do any high speed driving so all he really tested was my ability to turn left and right in a 35 mph zone.
That is not a nightmare. That is just a few minor problems thrown it to freak you out.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

When I turned up in a rental car they wouldn't let me take the test! Had to rebook and borrow a car.

I was also told to book the 0800 slot and get there about 0745. Pretty straightforward and I was at work by 0915. Also quite a quick test: just made sure I could be seen using the mirrors and not driving too fast.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Same problem happened to me.

Went for the test in a rented car and found out,for the first time, that the horn did not work!! (I'm not a very aggressive driver so had never used the horn) Would not even allow me out of the testing centre.

This was back in 2000 when driving tests in Silicon Valley had a waiting list of a month to 6 weeks. Boy, was I mad; but I should have checked before I went
Old Mar 7th 2012, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

At least I will now know that whenever I rent a car I need to check everything. Just glad it's over with now.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Same problem happened to me.

Went for the test in a rented car and found out,for the first time, that the horn did not work!! (I'm not a very aggressive driver so had never used the horn) Would not even allow me out of the testing centre.

This was back in 2000 when driving tests in Silicon Valley had a waiting list of a month to 6 weeks. Boy, was I mad; but I should have checked before I went
At least I was allowed to drive away! Seems a bit odd them making you stay there because of no horn.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

At least I was allowed to drive away! Seems a bit odd them making you stay there because of no horn.
Sorry, should have explained myself better. They would not let me out of the centre to do my test, even though I explained it was a rented car and that after the test I would go and get it fixed.

I had to re-schedule the test which I could not do for another 6 weeks in those days.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

Not only check the rental car over but make sure you they cover you for doing a behind the wheel test.

We went to one DMV did test in a rental and had no problem.

When I did mine at they asked 'where is your letter from the rental company allowing you to do a test in this car??' I replied didnt know I needed one as wife did hers in a rental and wasnt asked.

Anyway they woudlnt let me do the test until I drove like a nutter back to the DMV got a letter printed out and then drove back ! good job it was enterprise as some rental places wont let you use their car !

So that was another stressful story lol
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:33 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you do have to make sure all your lights, signals, horn, etc work correctly. We were warned about that in the driving course we had to take. 8 hours of classroom instruction is required in my state, CT. Be glad you didn't have to do that!

The test itself was a joke. . . . The only 'manouvere' if you can even call it that was being asked to reverse in a straight line. I didn't think the examiner was even really looking at me for mirror use etc. I didn't even have to do any high speed driving so all he really tested was my ability to turn left and right in a 35 mph zone.
I've been told driving tests in our state for mature adults hardly ever involve high-speed driving on the interstate highways. It's different for the teen-agers, though. Teens get a whole different kind of road test.

They were just checking you didn't speed in the 35 MPH zone, which I assume you didn't, & could use your signals & reverse without incident. I got told off about not looking over my shoulder "carefully enough" when changing lanes, but they didn't mark me down, as I did give a quick look. I should have exaggerated my backward look. My examiner seemed half-asleep but maybe was just bored, LOL. . . .
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:38 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

... So, what did you have to eat??
Old Mar 8th 2012, 2:55 am
Just Joined

crispin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WEBlue
They were just checking you didn't speed in the 35 MPH zone, which I assume you didn't
You say that - but when I took mine (Dec 2010) I quite happily did 30 in a 25 for the entire test, didn't stop completely at a stop sign and still passed (thanks Oakland Claremont DMV!).
Old Mar 8th 2012, 11:46 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispin
You say that - but when I took mine (Dec 2010) I quite happily did 30 in a 25 for the entire test, didn't stop completely at a stop sign and still passed (thanks Oakland Claremont DMV!).
Yes, 5 miles over the posted speed limit *isn't* actually speeding!! Where I am in the northeast US, even 8 miles over the speed limit isn't technically speeding. But go 9/10 miles over and you *are* speeding, & you might get a ticket.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue

I've been told driving tests in our state for mature adults hardly ever involve high-speed driving on the interstate highways. It's different for the teen-agers, though. Teens get a whole different kind of road test.
Do they? The tests are exactly the same here.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
... So, what did you have to eat??
A roast ham and cheese sandwich quickly followed by a chicken and lentil fried rice type thingy.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Do they? The tests are exactly the same here.
The official tests are exactly the same but I get the impression that the examiner decides to take have a wee break if you are an experienced driver from elsewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.