Reload this Page >

California Driving test.

California Driving test.

Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

AlistairL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default California Driving test.

Hey

Just got my immigrant visa and headed to California in about 4 weeks.

I already have a job lined up but required to pass my driving test pretty soon after I arrive.

So I wan't to hit the ground running. Does anyone know if you get some sort of temporary license if you have a full driving license from another country.

Does anyone know of any good websites I can look at to get to know exactly whats required to pass the written and practical tests?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: California Driving test.

Originally Posted by AlistairL
Hey

I already have a job lined up but required to pass my driving test pretty soon after I arrive.

So I wan't to hit the ground running. Does anyone know if you get some sort of temporary license if you have a full driving license from another country.

Does anyone know of any good websites I can look at to get to know exactly whats required to pass the written and practical tests?

Thanks in advance!
When I got mine ( 13 years ago ) the UK license wasn't transferable but I drove on an International license 'till I took my test. You will find the test a doddle compared to the UK test.

Just google California DMV etc you'll find stuff.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

Thanks in advance!

The Law says as a resident of CA you must pass your test in 10 days, sounds simple but, in CA you need your SSN to apply for your license mine took 3 weeks to come through. You have to take and pass your written test (you can do this as a walk in no need for an appointment,) before you can get your driving test appointment, they schedule it when you pass your written test, my appointment was a month after I passed the written test. However when you take your written test if you show them your full UK license they will issue you with a full temporary 3 month US license.

DMV's vary greatly on wait times you are best to Google the ones in the area where you will be living and get in touch with them re wait times.

Also on the DMV website is the free motoring handbook and a set of theory questions to practice, it is very simple and mostly common sense.

The actual driving test is about 5 minutes long a simple drive around the block, dont let that bit worry you!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

AlistairL is an unknown quantity at this point

OK thanks.

I already have my SSN as I was on a J1 a few years back.

So correct me if I'm wrong. I can drive a car there but only for the first 10 days. Within that 10 days I can take my written assessment show them my UK driving license, receive the temporary drivers license thats good for three months, book my test and sit it hopefully within a month or so.

So this means I can drive straight away? As long as I have insurance?

Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks.

So correct me if I'm wrong. I can drive a car there but only for the first 10 days. Within that 10 days I can take my written assessment show them my UK driving license, receive the temporary drivers license thats good for three months, book my test and sit it hopefully within a month or so.

Thanks
Yes, you can do walk in's at the DMV, go in, get form, fill out, take your UK license, Passport, proof of residency my Greencard came the same day as my SSN, no doubt your Passport with stamped Visa will do. Do written test, good to go. There are big signs all over the place at our DMV that you cant do the written test after 4pm (I think its 4, could be 4.30) so make sure you go earlier. Monday is the worst day to do walk ins around here.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Yes, you can do walk in's at the DMV, go in, get form, fill out, take your UK license, Passport, proof of residency my Greencard came the same day as my SSN, no doubt your Passport with stamped Visa will do. Do written test, good to go. There are big signs all over the place at our DMV that you cant do the written test after 4pm (I think its 4, could be 4.30) so make sure you go earlier. Monday is the worst day to do walk ins around here.
Also check online that they're open, they are furloughed some Fridays.

If you look up California DMV online you can see the Driver's Handbook with all the questions in the test, and you can do practice tests online.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jan 10th 2011 at 10:17 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:41 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

Thanks in advance!
California DMV has youtube videos -- which have been somewhat updated recently.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:05 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks.

Thanks
You can book the test so you are ready to take it when you get here do it online I believe or call them and book it.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Yes, you can do walk in's at the DMV, go in, get form, fill out, take your UK license, Passport, proof of residency my Greencard came the same day as my SSN, no doubt your Passport with stamped Visa will do.
Actually you don't need proof of "residency" - you need proof of "legal presence" for which, yes, your UK passport with an appropriate visa in it should suffice, but depending on which particular DMV employee you end up in front of your mileage may vary ...

The full list of acceptable documents can be found here
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by md95065
Actually you don't need proof of "residency" - you need proof of "legal presence" for which, yes, your UK passport with an appropriate visa in it should suffice, but depending on which particular DMV employee you end up in front of your mileage may vary ...

The full list of acceptable documents can be found here
OOOPs wrong words again sorry I'm not perfect!