Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California Driving Licenses

California Driving Licenses

Old Jan 26th 2017, 12:21 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Driving Licenses

Originally Posted by civilservant
It's completely self reported if your an adult, at least in GA. I had to sign to say I had received the instruction, but there were no checks to see if it actually happened. It hadn't.
It's been a while for me, but I don't recall ever having to show my UK license or sign to say I'd received any instruction. I just booked the test and that was that (in CA).

As I said, faulty memory could be to blame so don't quote me on that!
Old Jan 26th 2017, 12:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
It's been a while for me, but I don't recall ever having to show my UK license or sign to say I'd received any instruction. I just booked the test and that was that (in CA). ....
Me neither, in NY.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
It's been a while for me, but I don't recall ever having to show my UK license or sign to say I'd received any instruction. I just booked the test and that was that (in CA).

As I said, faulty memory could be to blame so don't quote me on that!
I didn't either recently in NC. Made no difference that I had a UK licence.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly didn't show my UK licence, they looked at my Visa, I took the 'written' test the same day, Which isn't "written' it's multi guess on a PC, were you have 4 answers, 2 of which are beyond stupid, one that's hmmm maybe, and obviously 1 correct, I did no revision and passed.
They issued me with a 'temporary licence'.
I took the excruciatingly difficult test about 6 weeks later (first booking I could get) and passed.

As a side note I know we often discuss how easy the tests are, but during a phone in on the local KROQ channel a lady admitted to failing the written test 10 times, and the driving test 15 times. She eventually passed and gawd help us, is now active on the murderways of SoCal
Old Jan 26th 2017, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169
I didn't either recently in NC. Made no difference that I had a UK licence.
Likewise for MA. IIRC took theory test[*] obtained learner permit, booked road test. Took 1 lesson to learn how to pass test, took test.
[*] theory test tests for knowledge of exactly what fines and suspension periods there are for various stupid road tricks.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

The CA written test is easy, I think there are two things you should look up/know: 1) blood alcohol levels, 2) Which way to point the wheels when parked on a hill. I think those are the only ones where knowing, as opposed to deduction/experience helps (assuming you have a basic familiarity with driving in the US).
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roberth1970
The CA written test is easy, I think there are two things you should look up/know: 1) blood alcohol levels, 2) Which way to point the wheels when parked on a hill. I think those are the only ones where knowing, as opposed to deduction/experience helps (assuming you have a basic familiarity with driving in the US).
Agreed, you need to memorize 1) (and maybe one or two other things). But 2) is common sense.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Look online for videos of a CA driving test for what to expect. Take a dummy quiz online.

Written: They always ask alcohol-blood levels. Also make sure to read about what to do when its foggy and speed/lane restrictions on towing trailers. It's all common sense really.

Practical: Make sure to drive AT the speed limit (not below it, they will flag this as incorrect) and make sure to look over your shoulder for *every* lane change. Turn right on red if at the lights and there is no sign telling you not to. And a good tip is that the test does not end until you turn off your engine IN THE CAR PARK. Obey ALL signs in the car park. Many people fail because they do not obey a stop sign in the car park etc. And know the hand signals for left/right/slowing down (they ask you these before you set off). Also, you can drive around the roads near the dmv before your test so you get to know where the stop signs are, speed restrictions, school crossings etc.

Good luck!

Last edited by sherbert; Jan 26th 2017 at 8:23 pm. Reason: additoinal tip
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
.... Practical: .... and make sure to look over your shoulder for *every* lane change. ....
Why wouldn't you? ..... even when you're not taking a test?
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why wouldn't you? ..... even when you're not taking a test?
There are these things called wing-mirrors right?
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert
There are these things called wing-mirrors right?
Also blind spots.

There is a piece of road along side your car where a passing vehicle, or one you are passing, is too far forward to be seen in the door mirror, but not far enough forward to be visible from the corner of your eye.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 26th 2017 at 9:32 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am well aware of what blind spots are (and own a sports car with dangerous dead angles on both sides) which is why I have blind spot mirrors on both wing mirrors et voila. Back to the thread please.

Last edited by sherbert; Jan 26th 2017 at 9:37 pm. Reason: grammar.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

For the driver with the UK license it's easier but you have to convince the DMV to accept that yes you are legal to drive. I had to ask for the supervisor - turned out she was - so went back later and spoke to somebody else who actually knew what to do. My wife, a few weeks later, ended up with a provisional (?) license and technically wasn't allowed to drive on her own. Again, had to go back and get the proper temporary license.

IIRC the theory test is 30 multiple guess questions correct out of 35. Speed limit in active school zones was one I got wrong.

Make sure the vehicle you use for the test is roadworthy - no lamps out, horn works, etc. They test that for your driving test, bizarrely, though any chance of a quick inspection is good IMHO given the state of many cars here.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Also blind spots.

There is a piece of road along side your car where a passing vehicle, or one you are passing, is too far forward to be seen in the door mirror, but not far enough forward to be visible from the corner of your eye.
I remember going for an advanced driving lesson once. I checked over my shoulder every time I changed lane because I thought that's what they wanted to see. They didn't. I was told if I checked my mirrors regularly and correctly, I would be aware of my surroundings and whether anything would potentially be in my blind spot, so I didn't need to look over my shoulder each time. Makes sense too. That being said, if you don't look over your shoulder during the CA driving test, they'll deduct marks. I didn't when moving into a cycle lane and they dropped marks.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, make sure you know all your hand signals (they are different to back home), they test you on those before you leave the facility.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.