Reload this Page >

California Driving License under L1-B Visa

California Driving License under L1-B Visa

Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

DrRickDaglessMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default California Driving License under L1-B Visa

Hello everyone,

Apologies if this is a duplicate topic, I'm having a lot of trouble discerning a clear answer about this; everyone seems to be in a slightly different situation and I'm struggling to find confidence in any of the answers I've seen.

My circumstances: I entered the US under an L1-B visa to work for my employer's Los Angeles office about a month ago. Unfortunately, my job is extremely demanding in terms of time and I wasn't able to delay the commencement of my start date or anything to prepare for, well, anything (housing, driving, social security, etc...). I have a Social Security number and US bank account now, but am currently residing at an apartment owned by the company which is not intended to be my permanent address.

I am 24 and hold a full UK drivers license.

My L1-B visa period is 3 years.

Could anyone tell me whether I need to apply for a California state driving license before I can legally drive here, and whether I can purchase/lease/rent a car on my UK drivers license?

I rang the DMV to ask their advice and the advisor told me (with no confidence whatsoever) that 'as far as [she] can see, I'm not a resident so I can drive on my UK license'. So far I've found it impossible to actually make it to the DMV due to work commitments, and the earliest appointment times are about a month away (which is a problem).

Thanks for your help,

Jim
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Driving License under L1-B Visa

You are supposed to get a CA driver's license within 10 days of becoming resident in CA.

It sounds to me as if you are a CA resident since you are both living and working here on a long term basis.

So, you should get yourself a CA drivers license as soon as possible (even if for no other reason that your life will be much easier once you have the universally recognized de facto form of identification to carry around with you).

In practice you shouldn't have any problems getting a rental car for a few weeks using your UK license. Purchasing and insuring a car without a CA license are both possible, but in practice will be more trouble than they are worth so just wait until you can get a CA license.

If you shop around you may find a less busy DMV office with that can give you a test sooner or you can just show up in person and wait hoping to get a test if someone cancels (although I realize that isn't easy if you have very little time to spare).
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking at the California DMV website, which I'm sure used to have a section for foreign drivers but I can't find that now. I believe that working here means you are 'resident'.

You will need to take a written test first and then, when successful, you schedule a practical test. The DMV offices are well-known as highly bureaucratic and annoying places, however it's best to get the process started and then it will be over with sooner.

PS the people on the phone just guess the answers to questions.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Where are you in California?
I know that in the Bay Area there are significant differences between DMVs. For example, Los Gatos seems to be significantly less crowded than San Jose.

I'm sure someone here might be able to give you some guidance on the specific DMV depending on where you live.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Once you take your written test and pass, if you have your UK license with you they will issue you with a temporary full US license (mine was valid for 3 months) my test was 2 weeks later and then a full license was issued. This was Santa Clara CA.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:14 am
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm currently stuck as I cannot apply for a licence as I do not have an SSN yet!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Pass written test = Full temporary license, CA
Come back / same day pass behind the wheel test = Full license

Behind the wheel a piece of cake
You have to have a CA license if you have moved in L1B. 10 days is outrageously not possible given the requirement of SSN but you have to drive on CA license. It’s written on the handbook (written test).

Like everything in America – the language used in the handbook is debatable but substance over form means you have established residency here. The residency they say is established by any privilege you have access to with otherwise who wouldn’t have. From my perspective – working here, having bank accounts, SSN etc is privilege.

Why you won’t want to get a CA license is beyond me (everyone is busy so that hardly is a reason sorry)
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Prof_Yaffel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by oicur0t
I'm currently stuck as I cannot apply for a licence as I do not have an SSN yet!
You don't need a SSN to get a driving licence. Valid visa/I94 is enough. My wife is on a H4 visa which menas she can't work and no SSN but she had no problem getting a Ca driving licence; after taking theory and practical tests
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:55 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Prof_Yaffel
You don't need a SSN to get a driving licence. Valid visa/I94 is enough. My wife is on a H4 visa which menas she can't work and no SSN but she had no problem getting a Ca driving licence; after taking theory and practical tests
That is slightly contrary to information given on the website. If you are not entitled to an SSN you can get a DL without one. But if you are entitled to one (like myself....I am waiting for one) you need to give one.

So my wife can get a licence currently (she's a H4) but I will have to wait.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oicur0t
That is slightly contrary to information given on the website. If you are not entitled to an SSN you can get a DL without one. But if you are entitled to one (like myself....I am waiting for one) you need to give one.

So my wife can get a licence currently (she's a H4) but I will have to wait.
Certainly in CA, one needs SSN if eligible for it.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

DrRickDaglessMD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,

Thanks so much for your replies, they've come in very handy.

I was able to take a few hours to attend the Santa Monica DMV this morning. I was able to apply and pass my written test and have been issued with a temporary full license.

As I understand it, I need to schedule a practical test at the DMV rather than just walk in to take it, so that would give me roughly a month before I can even take the behind-the-wheel test (based on the earliest appointment dates on the DMV websites for my local offices - Culver City, Santa Monica, Hollywood).

One of the main reasons (other than to legally drive, which is very important) I wanted a license is for gov't issue photo ID - I'm finding it difficult to do anything which requires a credit check without this - renting an apartment, buying the cell-phone plan I want, etc...

Does anyone have any suggestions or anecdotes about how they dealt with these issues in a similar situation? I'm getting bored of shop-clerks and rental agents saying that my UK passport is fine for ID/Credit Check purposes, only to find that in fact it isn't.

Thanks again for all your help everyone,

Jim
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Jim: Look in the wiki here; there's a whole section devoted to your Qs.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrRickDaglessMD
One of the main reasons (other than to legally drive, which is very important) I wanted a license is for gov't issue photo ID - I'm finding it difficult to do anything which requires a credit check without this - renting an apartment, buying the cell-phone plan I want, etc...
The ID isn't your problem, it's your lack of US credit history.

There's plenty of threads on that subject, you don't even need to search them out, just look down a few threads, but there's also a great wiki here which will answer a lot of your initial questions
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
The ID isn't your problem, it's your lack of US credit history.

There's plenty of threads on that subject, you don't even need to search them out, just look down a few threads, but there's also a great wiki here which will answer a lot of your initial questions
- start with Wells Fargo or BoA secured credit card. It’s secured so you will have to put money as deposit and they will give you credit limit = the deposit. I know it’s a pain but US credit history does not recognize any overseas history. WF charges 19$ annual fee, BoA close to 40$
- if by chance you have an overseas American express and been a member for 12 months and have any repayment history, American express will transfer you card here. In theory it’s not a transfer coz they keep the overseas one alive.
- Get a co signer if there is one you can
- I know it’s a circle in terms of no credit history so no credit and no credit so no history but the above three will at least get you started. American express is by far the best option.

Other than that, read the wiki and threads here. It’s a hard reality when it comes to US credit history but once you have it, you are good to go!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DrRickDaglessMD
I'm getting bored of shop-clerks and rental agents saying that my UK passport is fine for ID/Credit Check purposes, only to find that in fact it isn't.

Thanks again for all your help everyone,

Jim
As others said, the issue is not ID - it's lack of credit. When I was searching for apartments - I was asked for 1-2 months of rent as deposit. That's how it rolls here..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.