Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California Driving License (E-3 Visa)

California Driving License (E-3 Visa)

Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:07 am
Banned

Newbie_Aussie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question California Driving License (E-3 Visa)

Hi,

How can a E-3 visa holder and his wife on E3D can obtain California Driving License.I have valid Australian Driving License, wife have Australian Learner Permit.We dont have documents like I-797. I am working in California but exactly what documents DMV California may require (E-3,I-94,bank statement).When I was in VA DMV there asked me to show I-797 or medicare card as proof of work authorization (and to prove two forms of ID/primary and secondary) therefore I was unable to undergo testing there.
Any Aussie have any experience or any driving instructor they can recommend?Do I need to undertake road sign and written test too or it will be only driving test?

DMV California website is very confusing and therefore I am asking for live experience.

Thanks,

Last edited by Newbie_Aussie; Oct 31st 2008 at 5:14 am.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Driving License (E-3 Visa)

This is a list of acceptable ID's
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

I took in my UK passport, (with a visa in it) my social security number card, and that was about it. Oh my MIL was with me she's scare anyone in to compliance.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Oct 31st 2008 at 4:00 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:05 pm
Banned

Question Re: California Driving License (E-3 Visa)

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
This is a list of acceptable ID's
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

I took in my UK passport, (with a visa in it) my social security number card, and that was about it. Oh my MIL was with me she's scare anyone in to compliance.
I asked this question because not everybody have US Military ID card or US gun license or US court order or US Birth certificate.Some time there require two ID like in VA there they asked me for I-797. I dont have any I-797 on E-3 visa.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Well, then, pick the things you DO have! Jeez. Take your passport, I-94 and social security card. You probably have a payslip too.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Well, then, pick the things you DO have! Jeez. Take your passport, I-94 and social security card. You probably have a payslip too.
Newbie,

I think you are making everything sound so difficult. I am not in US but changed 2 countries and yes although there are difficulties - generally everywhere you can explain your situation, get as much docs as you have.

No country (western anyway) is so rigid. Youa re not the only one on E-3, people have managed it.

You always make reference to h1 visa, how E3 is shit, how you have to travel to get E3 renewed, how they dont pay for your travel etc etc.

I suppose most of this - I know without having E-3 which means you would have known it before you went on the visa type...

IF you dont like it....leave ???
Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newbie_Aussie
Some time there require two ID like in VA there they asked me for I-797. I dont have any I-797 on E-3 visa.
Your boss probably has yours.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

How can a E-3 visa holder and his wife on E3D can obtain California Driving License.I have valid Australian Driving License, wife have Australian Learner Permit.We dont have documents like I-797. I am working in California but exactly what documents DMV California may require (E-3,I-94,bank statement).When I was in VA DMV there asked me to show I-797 or medicare card as proof of work authorization (and to prove two forms of ID/primary and secondary) therefore I was unable to undergo testing there.
Any Aussie have any experience or any driving instructor they can recommend?Do I need to undertake road sign and written test too or it will be only driving test?

DMV California website is very confusing and therefore I am asking for live experience.

Thanks,
I just got my California Driver's License. I took in my Canadian passport which has my L2 Visa and my SSN. My son who does not have a SSN took his Canadian passport (and L2 Visa) and his Canadian driver's license.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:17 pm
Banned

Question Re: California Driving License (E-3 Visa)

Originally Posted by E3only
Newbie,

I think you are making everything sound so difficult. I am not in US but changed 2 countries and yes although there are difficulties - generally everywhere you can explain your situation, get as much docs as you have.

No country (western anyway) is so rigid. Youa re not the only one on E-3, people have managed it.

You always make reference to h1 visa, how E3 is shit, how you have to travel to get E3 renewed, how they dont pay for your travel etc etc.

I suppose most of this - I know without having E-3 which means you would have known it before you went on the visa type...

IF you dont like it....leave ???
Yes true in US things are actually difficult because its not our home Australia.US have the largest task force of immigrant and its a country who have been taking in large amount of migrants since many years. Perhaps US is still taking far more migrants then Australia and therefore the immigration rule/conditions are more rigid.

Yes people have managed but everybody go through different circumstances and different situation in life.Even inside US every state have different list of acceptable ID required for driving license.

Yes in my personal opinion H1 is a better visa because of current economic situation.In US lay off rate and unemployemnt is currently high.The reason behind H1 being favourite around the world is its AC21 portability and premium processing.

Spouse EAD on E3D is secondary stuff because the first and the more important thing is you have to maintain your own E3 status which is not quickly possible without the change of employer (in case of layoff on E3 visa).

To leave the place is always the last option but to practically jump into the battlefield for a fight is far more interesting and challenging.

Last edited by Newbie_Aussie; Nov 1st 2008 at 7:23 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:57 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Yes true in US things are actually difficult because its not our home Australia.US have the largest task force of immigrant and its a country who have been taking in large amount of migrants since many years. Perhaps US is still taking far more migrants then Australia and therefore the immigration rule/conditions are more rigid.

Yes people have managed but everybody go through different circumstances and different situation in life.Even inside US every state have different list of acceptable ID required for driving license.

Yes in my personal opinion H1 is a better visa because of current economic situation.In US lay off rate and unemployemnt is currently high.The reason behind H1 being favourite around the world is its AC21 portability and premium processing.

Spouse EAD on E3D is secondary stuff because the first and the more important thing is you have to maintain your own E3 status which is not quickly possible without the change of employer (in case of layoff on E3 visa).

To leave the place is always the last option but to practically jump into the battlefield for a fight is far more interesting and challenging.
Dont panic Newbie! I completely agree, DMV website is rubbish! For you and your wife, just take all ID documents you do have. Passport and visa stickers, and social security cards are what they are looking for, first and formost. And if you wife isnt yet legal to drive, dont worry, enither was my husband. she can get a learners permit, and take some lessons and pass here.

You will both need to do an eye test, and the written theory test to get your provisional / interim licences before you do your practical tests, which you will both need to do to get your licences. Study the california divers handbook first for the written test. The practical is easy peasy, my husband only had one lesson with an instructor and I took him out for practices 3 times a week for 4 weeks, then he passed first time!

And if you think your wife wont pass too quickly, then probably a good idea to get her an ID card from the DMV at the same time as applying for her learners permit. costs about $30 though, but saves her carting around her passport.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Samuel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks,
In 99 in lived in CA and had a friend visiting on a 6mo tourist visa - we went over to social security admin (we heard rummors that some states were granting them for such a purpose) and asked for ssn# for him - the admin issued a doc addressed to dmv (it was a boilerplate form) indicating that he did not need the ssn# and that the passport was sufficient. DMV accepted the docs and he got the license. This was a bit ago (and pre 9/11 security awareness uptick).