Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California Driving License

California Driving License

Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all
Wink California Driving License

I've been in California for 6 months now and finally have my SS number so have the joys of the driving test now as I now legally need to get my california license.

Looking at DMV site it looks like I might be asked to surrender my UK license which I'm not prepared to do because a) I make frequent trips back to UK and need it and b) I'm insured here under this license and won't be able to drive home from the test centre without it (need to sit the theory test this week and the drive round the block next week!)

Any advice on what to do if things get nasty? Can they refuse to give me a California license unless I surrender my UK one. Also, when would they require I surrender it - when I actually pass the test therefore have a california one or when I apply.

Cheers guys!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:22 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: California Driving License

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
I've been in California for 6 months now and finally have my SS number so have the joys of the driving test now as I now legally need to get my california license.

Looking at DMV site it looks like I might be asked to surrender my UK license which I'm not prepared to do because a) I make frequent trips back to UK and need it and b) I'm insured here under this license and won't be able to drive home from the test centre without it (need to sit the theory test this week and the drive round the block next week!)

Any advice on what to do if things get nasty? Can they refuse to give me a California license unless I surrender my UK one. Also, when would they require I surrender it - when I actually pass the test therefore have a california one or when I apply.

Cheers guys!

This subject was brought up last week and the general consensus was to either A: Tell the DMV to sod off, the licence belongs to the British government/DVLC B: Don't tell them you have a UK licence so they can't ask for it.
So far I don't think anyone has been asked for their UK licence after actually getting a US licence (could be wrong). So far as I am aware everyone that contributed to that previous thread still has their UK licence.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
This subject was brought up last week and the general consensus was to either A: Tell the DMV to sod off, the licence belongs to the British government/DVLC B: Don't tell them you have a UK licence so they can't ask for it.
So far I don't think anyone has been asked for their UK licence after actually getting a US licence (could be wrong). So far as I am aware everyone that contributed to that previous thread still has their UK licence.
don't take it
don't tell them you have it
enjoy the 6.5 minute "test"
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by USBound
don't take it
don't tell them you have it
enjoy the 6.5 minute "test"

Thanks guys - figured that was the best thing to do. Also found the other thread - cheers for your help! Had lot of fun so far reading the driver's handbook and realising that everyone on the road breaks every rule, including the cops! Much better advice from Wintersong's thread!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice

Thanks guys - figured that was the best thing to do. Also found the other thread - cheers for your help! Had lot of fun so far reading the driver's handbook and realising that everyone on the road breaks every rule, including the cops! Much better advice from Wintersong's thread!
FYI:

My hubby rec'd his California license last year and the people working at the DMV counter didn't ask him to surrender his British License!

I doubt they will ask you and if the subject is brought up tell them you don't have one!

Good Luck to you ;-)

PS: The actual driving test here is a piece of cake. You can go to ANY DMV location. The ones out in the sticks can be better ;-)
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:04 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Denial, denial, denial is often the best way to deal with government bureaucrats: If worse comes to worst and DMV forces the issue, just tell them that you've lost your license.

Do make sure to make an appointment, don't just turn up. And if you are a member of the AAA (auto club), its California offices can take care of most car registration issues, keeping your future DMV encounters to a bare minimum.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Oct 25th 2005 at 4:11 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:41 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys!
I took my test earlier this year and had to put my UK driving license number on the forms I filled in, but was never asked to surrender it.

I wouldn't recommend lying on the forms (i.e. not declaring your UK license). I declared mine with no problems whatsoever.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Just back from DMV and decided to declare my license (and was geared up for a fight about why they weren't getting it!). The girl who issued my license asked to see it and I asked her if she needed to keep it. She said no she just had to view it and as she was obviously in a very good mood (heard them talking about the Xmas party that had obviously just been announced!) I decided to be brave and ask her why it said on the website that foreign ones had to be surrendered.

She laughed and said that they take some foreign ones depending on the country that has issued it but the UK and most western countries are excluded - then added that they can't exactly put that on their website as it sounds discriminating.

So I figure if you're from one of the US 'hitlist' countries you haven't got a hope of hanging onto your license! Don't know if this is official or just her take on things but it does sound (at last!) like an explination that kind of makes sense about why they never seem to take UK ones.

Just thought I'd share that with you. Can't believe how ridiculously easy the test was - no wonder the driving here's as bad as it is!

Cheers for all your help guys!
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:18 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

i took my test back in december and they didnt ask why i had any foreign drivers license's, nor did i forward the information to them, hence i still have my uk license

and what should it have to do with them anyway?????

Anthony
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice

Just back from DMV and decided to declare my license (and was geared up for a fight about why they weren't getting it!). The girl who issued my license asked to see it and I asked her if she needed to keep it. She said no she just had to view it and as she was obviously in a very good mood (heard them talking about the Xmas party that had obviously just been announced!) I decided to be brave and ask her why it said on the website that foreign ones had to be surrendered.

She laughed and said that they take some foreign ones depending on the country that has issued it but the UK and most western countries are excluded - then added that they can't exactly put that on their website as it sounds discriminating.

So I figure if you're from one of the US 'hitlist' countries you haven't got a hope of hanging onto your license! Don't know if this is official or just her take on things but it does sound (at last!) like an explination that kind of makes sense about why they never seem to take UK ones.

Just thought I'd share that with you. Can't believe how ridiculously easy the test was - no wonder the driving here's as bad as it is!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 4:37 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe how ridiculously easy the test was - no wonder the driving here's as bad as it is!

- im sure they give out licenses in boxes of cereal, well..... they might of well done!!!

Anthony
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:33 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

No one mentioned my UK licence, but heres little story of Texan hospitality:
I turned up to take my test and they looked at my ID stuff. One guy looks at the passport and asks if I know that my visa has expired. I explain that its an entrance visa and it expired when i entered the country so the date is irrelevant. He replies that he didnt ask what it was for, just if I knew it had expired. Things got a little frosty from there, and I waited to take the test. Guess who was my examiner
Anyway I passed, no thanks to him. He's right up there with the immigration folks - I guess they took the same course on how to be an A**hole.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 3:24 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
No one mentioned my UK licence, but heres little story of Texan hospitality:
I turned up to take my test and they looked at my ID stuff. One guy looks at the passport and asks if I know that my visa has expired. I explain that its an entrance visa and it expired when i entered the country so the date is irrelevant. He replies that he didnt ask what it was for, just if I knew it had expired. Things got a little frosty from there, and I waited to take the test. Guess who was my examiner
Anyway I passed, no thanks to him. He's right up there with the immigration folks - I guess they took the same course on how to be an A**hole.
Ha, ha. Love people who behave like that. They're always extremely easy to wind up and you can have loads of fun with them.