Reload this Page >

California Driving License - 10 day window

California Driving License - 10 day window

Old Jul 27th 2022, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default California Driving License - 10 day window

Hi All,

I will be relocating to CA soon and understand there is a 10-day window within which I am obligated to obtain a CA driving license. Bookings for tests appear to be unavailable for a few weeks. If I am unable to obtain a California DL within this 10-day window, what do I do?

Currently I have a clean BC (Canada) driving license, prior to which a clean UK license, and have been driving for ~20 years, although I do not believe this to be relevant or any information that may help me in obtaining a CA license.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Old Jul 27th 2022, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Driving License - 10 day window

One can never get a driving test etc within 10 days of arriving.
Book your test for when you can, carry confirmation of the test with you in case you get stopped by the police.
Drive on your Canada licence in the meantime.

(this is what I had to do - albeit with a UK licence)
Old Jul 27th 2022, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Expatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with SanDiegogirl’s advice. The police are more interested in those who move to, or are staying for extended periods in, California with no intention of getting a CDL (or registering their out of state vehicles here), and lie by saying they’re just visiting. Carry your proof you’ve done what you can at the time to get your CDL and be honest with the officer about your status and intention to comply with the law and get it sorted ASAP, and you’ll be fine.
Old Jul 27th 2022, 11:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrian
I agree with SanDiegogirl’s advice. The police are more interested in those who move to, or are staying for extended periods in, California with no intention of getting a CDL (or registering their out of state vehicles here), and lie by saying they’re just visiting. Carry your proof you’ve done what you can at the time to get your CDL and be honest with the officer about your status and intention to comply with the law and get it sorted ASAP, and you’ll be fine.
In the context of driving and drivers liences a "CDL" is a Commercial Drivers License, even in California: California DMV website.

But yes, SDG's advice is good - the problem is the same almost everywhere across the US, even when the period permitted by most states to get your state license is 30-90 days, it is often impractical, or impossible to get a road test within the allowed period, but I have never heard of anyone ever having a problem so long as they [1] use their best endeavors to take their road test and obtain a license ASAP and [2] carry evidence that they have started the process and have a test date booked.
Old Jul 28th 2022, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Great advice! Thank you all!
Old Aug 10th 2022, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Expatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In the context of driving and drivers liences a "CDL" is a Commercial Drivers License, even in California: California DMV website.
Just noticed this…yes, “CDL” isn’t the best acronym to use in this setting as it’s not generally used to mean “California Driver’s License” and could be confused with “Commercial Driver’s License” as you said. (CDL is commonly used to mean “California” in other settings I’m no longer involved with, but I need to stop used it) 🙂