Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California bound - April 2017

California bound - April 2017

Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California bound - April 2017

Originally Posted by catlover3
He's an Art Director. From what we've seen joining the Guild of Art Directors via portfolio is pretty straightforward but others have said there's no need to join a union. It's hard to know until you arrive I guess! I feel like we're quite unusual in going without jobs to go to...
An advertising art director, or a motion graphics, After Effects whiz sort of person?

If he is working for an ad agency, then perhaps he needs to be union - don't know much about that.

If he is working for one of the bazillion little graphics shops and production companies, then surely no need. I've never worked with a union graphic designer ever!
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

catlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisdc
An advertising art director, or a motion graphics, After Effects whiz sort of person?

If he is working for an ad agency, then perhaps he needs to be union - don't know much about that.

If he is working for one of the bazillion little graphics shops and production companies, then surely no need. I've never worked with a union graphic designer ever!
Oops sorry, should have clarified. Production designer. He works art department/sets/and scenic carpentry. Thanks for the insight :-)
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

Oops sorry, should have clarified. Production designer. He works art department/sets/and scenic carpentry. Thanks for the insight :-)
Ah right. In that case he will be able to work on smaller, non-union projects (usually TV promos, music videos indy features etc...) but may need to join the union before getting work on scripted TV Shows, features, union commercials etc...
Old Jan 14th 2017, 1:58 am
tbm
Forum Regular

tbm is an unknown quantity at this point

I see from other posters' posts that I need to file taxes in the US not the UK. However, I'm not sure when that starts - April 2017, or April 2018?
You will have to continue filing tax returns in the UK since you have rental income. The rental income will be taxed in the UK (although you'll have your full personal allowance) and it will also have to be declared in the US (although tax paid in the UK will count).

Since you're leaving in April 2017, you are a UK resident for the 2016-17 tax year. You should read about the Statutory Residence Test to establish how you'll become non-resident: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dence-test-srt Note that moving away to work requires you to keep records for the next 2 tax years.

For the 2017 tax year, you probably have to file as a dual status resident for US tax purposes.

You probably have to register for the non-resident landlord scheme: https://www.gov.uk/topic/personal-ta...andlord-scheme

If you have a personal pension open when you leave the UK (e.g. a SIPP), you can contribute £2,880 for five more years after becoming non-resident and you'll get £720 "tax relief" for free from HMRC. See https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...95310#IDAYDPAC

Regarding your UK state pension, you should look into making voluntary National Insurance contributions: https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-if-you-go-abroad

Since you and your husband are currently working in the UK and will be working in the US (you can be self-employed immediately, even if it takes a while to find clients...), you should qualify for class 2 contributions until April 2018 which is a very cheap way of getting more years. See http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...utions-874408/
Old Jan 14th 2017, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

catlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tbm
You will have to continue filing tax returns in the UK since you have rental income. The rental income will be taxed in the UK (although you'll have your full personal allowance) and it will also have to be declared in the US (although tax paid in the UK will count).

Since you're leaving in April 2017, you are a UK resident for the 2016-17 tax year. You should read about the Statutory Residence Test to establish how you'll become non-resident: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dence-test-srt Note that moving away to work requires you to keep records for the next 2 tax years.

For the 2017 tax year, you probably have to file as a dual status resident for US tax purposes.

You probably have to register for the non-resident landlord scheme: https://www.gov.uk/topic/personal-ta...andlord-scheme

If you have a personal pension open when you leave the UK (e.g. a SIPP), you can contribute £2,880 for five more years after becoming non-resident and you'll get £720 "tax relief" for free from HMRC. See https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...95310#IDAYDPAC

Regarding your UK state pension, you should look into making voluntary National Insurance contributions: https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-if-you-go-abroad

Since you and your husband are currently working in the UK and will be working in the US (you can be self-employed immediately, even if it takes a while to find clients...), you should qualify for class 2 contributions until April 2018 which is a very cheap way of getting more years. See http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...utions-874408/
This is extremely usefu -l thank you
Old Jan 21st 2017, 3:15 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

FYI re employment.

Unions are still very strong in the performing arts and associated technical professions and there are strict rules and rates. Given the uncertain nature of many of the jobs the unions often provide health insurance and pensions. Getting enough hours of screen work is a big deal for an actor so the can join SAG (Screen Actors Guild)

I worked in US academia for many years and adjunct faculty are paid poorly and get worse benefits. Many are just contractors; so paid by the hour and responsible for all their own benefits. Hold out for a real faculty job......if you can. The pay and benefits can be excellent and if tenure is possible it can be a great working life.....although most people are now responsible for at least a portion of their own funding through a mix of grants.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
FYI re employment.

I worked in US academia for many years and adjunct faculty are paid poorly and get worse benefits. Many are just contractors; so paid by the hour and responsible for all their own benefits. Hold out for a real faculty job......if you can. The pay and benefits can be excellent and if tenure is possible it can be a great working life.....although most people are now responsible for at least a portion of their own funding through a mix of grants.

I just want to add some of my experience, just in case it helps. I work(ed) in the life sciences sector of academia for 7 years as a trainee, looking for an academic position. I was fortunate enough to be backed by a NIH K99 award, giving me just under $1 million to set up a lab if I was offered a position by an academic (or non-profit) institution. That put me in the top 10% of applicants automatically for a tenure track position. As of this week, I defected to industry.

Why?

After 25 applications (mostly east coast, but some sporadic), I heard tumbleweed. Sure, not everyone is a great fit for every job, but in life sciences, there are now 200+ applications per position. Therefore, the chances of other people having equally as good grants, also increases. Regardless of POLITICS, the academic field as nervous as hell (internationally) with Trump and Brexit impending administrations, hiring is down, funding is down, and there are many, MANY, masters and Ph.D.'s coming through the system now.

How can this be good for you?

Anecdotally, I have seen a rise in adjunct positions listed (linkedin, science mag etc.), largely due to the short nature of the posting. Less risk for the institution. Also, a previous poster is correct, lecturer means just that, no research. A colleague of mine just took up an adjunct professorship, too, with no health benefits! (I would hate to live here with no health coverage, I would never sleep!).

Personally, I would come to the US with a plan to getting a well paid industry job.

If you are not in the life sciences, others may be able to advise, give comments, better than me.

Last edited by PetrifiedExPat; Jan 21st 2017 at 12:45 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat

I just want to add some of my experience, just in case it helps. I work(ed) in the life sciences sector of academia for 7 years as a trainee, looking for an academic position. I was fortunate enough to be backed by a NIH K99 award, giving me just under $1 million to set up a lab if I was offered a position by an academic (or non-profit) institution. That put me in the top 10% of applicants automatically for a tenure track position. As of this week, I defected to industry.

Why?

After 25 applications (mostly east coast, but some sporadic), I heard tumbleweed. Sure, not everyone is a great fit for every job, but in life sciences, there are now 200+ applications per position. Therefore, the chances of other people having equally as good grants, also increases. Regardless of POLITICS, the academic field as nervous as hell (internationally) with Trump and Brexit impending administrations, hiring is down, funding is down, and there are many, MANY, masters and Ph.D.'s coming through the system now.

How can this be good for you?

Anecdotally, I have seen a rise in adjunct positions listed (linkedin, science mag etc.), largely due to the short nature of the posting. Less risk for the institution. Also, a previous poster is correct, lecturer means just that, no research. A colleague of mine just took up an adjunct professorship, too, with no health benefits! (I would hate to live here with no health coverage, I would never sleep!).

Personally, I would come to the US with a plan to getting a well paid industry job.

If you are not in the life sciences, others may be able to advise, give comments, better than me.
I am in the social sciences, but many of your statements ring true for me, even here in the UK. The problem for me, is that I have become accustomed to the working culture in academia, and it makes a huge contribution to my quality of life. I:
- manage my own time
- work from home three days a week
- learn while working
- dress how I please at work
- get long holidays (although this will be much shorter in the US I appreciate) etc etc

I don't think I would like to lose all that. Sounds inconsequential perhaps but these things matter to me!
Old Jan 25th 2017, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the social sciences, but many of your statements ring true for me, even here in the UK. The problem for me, is that I have become accustomed to the working culture in academia, and it makes a huge contribution to my quality of life. I:
- manage my own time
- work from home three days a week
- learn while working
- dress how I please at work
- get long holidays (although this will be much shorter in the US I appreciate) etc etc

I don't think I would like to lose all that. Sounds inconsequential perhaps but these things matter to me!
Hi, glad you caught my post.

Well, as stated my experience with social sciences is limited, so anything from here is anecdotal. I know BE has a chemist about who may also have additional opinions, hopefully there are some Social Sciences peeps, too.

I think in academia you will certainly be able to manage your own time, minus your class load, that is true.

Working from home, certainly possible if your research in not wet lab based, depends on class load. I know you know all this.

Learn whilst working, sure, we all do.

I couldnt care less about how I am required to dress. Jeans and polo at the Uni., smart casual/business attire in industry. I would note that the hierarchal structure is strictly adhered too, at least in the Ivy League Schools (and I'm sure elsewhere), the students will expect to treat you with the utmost respect and worship. If you dress like them, you will look out of sorts, it may be harder to gain respect from colleagues. I was only ever junior faculty, so it did not apply for me. If you are a lecturer or assistant professor, be prepared that more formal dress may be required. Scope out the institution first, though.

As for holidays, my friend Liam Neeson has said in many a meme 'good luck'.

As for academia right now in the US, look at the recent gag order placed on the Environmental Protection Agency. This is federally funded research, like any other carried out in a Hospital, College, Uni, etc., and scientists are gagged from communicating results to the public or congress. No presentation of results or critical thinking. Sorry, no joke.

This is where we are, right now.