British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   california or arizona? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/california-arizona-747391/)

hoping2go Feb 4th 2012 8:37 pm

california or arizona?

Hi all,
My husband has a job offer on the table from a company with sites in torrance, CA and tuson, AZ. He would have to decide where he wanted to be based
Has anyone got any advice or feedback for either of these areas? The wage is the same in either site and I know from real estate web sites that property is more expensive in the Torrance area.
We have friends in redondo but they are rather biased on where we should live!
Thanks

christmasoompa Feb 4th 2012 8:41 pm

Re: california or arizona?

Would it be the same salary for each? That might make a difference as to the answers you get.

:)

Jerseygirl Feb 4th 2012 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by hoping2go (Post 9883912)
Hi all,
My husband has a job offer on the table from a company with sites in torrance, CA and tuson, AZ. He would have to decide where he wanted to be based
Has anyone got any advice or feedback for either of these areas? The wage is the same in either site and I know from real estate web sites that property is more expensive in the Torrance area.
Thanks

Have you been to do a reccie of both areas? Personally I wouldn't consider moving anywhere unless I'd had the opportunity to have a good look round first.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9883918)
Would it be the same salary for each? That might make a difference as to the answers you get.

The OP said 'The wage is the same in either site '.

hoping2go Feb 4th 2012 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9883918)

Same for either to the best of my knowledge, which as far as i can gather makes us very comfy off in tuson and not so in Torrance.... but its the living bit I'm interested in. I won't be working and we have a 9 yr old son who loves the outdoors.

christmasoompa Feb 4th 2012 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9883922)
The OP said 'The wage is the same in either site '.

I knew that. No, really I did. Ahem. ;):lol:

Cape Blue Feb 5th 2012 5:59 am

Originally Posted by hoping2go (Post 9883912)
Hi all,
Thanks

There's a reason why the property is cheaper in Tucson.

Noorah101 Feb 5th 2012 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by hoping2go (Post 9883923)
Same for either to the best of my knowledge, which as far as i can gather makes us very comfy off in tuson and not so in Torrance.... but its the living bit I'm interested in. I won't be working and we have a 9 yr old son who loves the outdoors.

If you live in Tucson, you'll probably have the extra money to go out and enjoy life. If you live in Torrence, you might not have the extra money, you'll be using it all just to live on.

I grew up in Tucson and still go there frequently. I'm not familiar with Torrence. Some parts of Tucson are very nice, but right next door it will be trashy. Tucson and the surrounding area has a lot to do outdoors, but probably not in the hot summer months (including late spring and early fall). Not sure what the weather is like in Torrence.

Rene

Poppy girl Feb 5th 2012 3:01 pm

I have been to both and would say Torrence I stay there occasionally on buisness its a better class of place then Tucson and remember its going to be much easier/cheaper to get flights back to the UK from LAX or surrounding airports........I had a week in Tucson that was enough for me :thumbdown:
Sorry Rene :starsmile:

Noorah101 Feb 5th 2012 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9885005)
I have been to both and would say Torrence I stay there occasionally on buisness its a better class of place then Tucson and remember its going to be much easier/cheaper to get flights back to the UK from LAX or surrounding airports........I had a week in Tucson that was enough for me :thumbdown:
Sorry Rene :starsmile:

LOL :D I agree! Two days in Tucson visiting my best friend there is enough for me, too. I've never been to Torrence, so couldn't compare. :)

Rene

Poppy girl Feb 5th 2012 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9885059)
LOL :D I agree! Two days in Tucson visiting my best friend there is enough for me, too. I've never been to Torrence, so couldn't compare. :)

Rene

For once I was trying to be diplomatic because of you my friend, but now you have voiced your distastes as well....I am open to say in my personal opinion DUMP!! :lol:....Look out I hear Steerpike firing up the laptop lol...but he lives in the posh area :)

Cape Blue Feb 5th 2012 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9885129)
For once I was trying to be diplomatic because of you my friend, but now you have voiced your distastes as well....I am open to say in my personal opinion DUMP!! :lol:....Look out I hear Steerpike firing up the laptop lol...but he lives in the posh area :)

Steerpike lives in Phoenix not Tucson doesn't he? (along with his holiday home in the Bay Area)

hoping2go Feb 5th 2012 4:41 pm

Getting the picture here.. loud and clear!:lol:

Poppy girl Feb 5th 2012 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 9885133)
Steerpike lives in Phoenix not Tucson doesn't he? (along with his holiday home in the Bay Area)

Yes that's why I said the posh area meaning another city :)

fatbrit Feb 5th 2012 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by hoping2go (Post 9885138)
Getting the picture here.. loud and clear!:lol:

I like Tucson. Everything looks good from Phoenix.

Sally Redux Feb 6th 2012 4:04 am

Torrance is a pleasant area, we were looking into moving around there when we first came, it's expensive though. As my husband's (Chinese) colleague put it, "It nice area but it near not nice area".

As Jerseygirl says, you really need to visit both places I think.