Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California Accountant Recommendation?

California Accountant Recommendation?

Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

bw99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default California Accountant Recommendation?

Hi all
I've done a pretty thorough search, but please forgive me if there's been a recent thread on this..

I'm looking for an accountant in California who's reasonably familiar with the kind of tax issues a UK citizen resident in the US would face, in particular, having a rental property in the UK and split year treatment, where someone is resident in the UK for part of the year and then resident in the US.

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions about how to find such a person, I would be hugely grateful!

Thanks!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:59 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Accountant Recommendation?

Originally Posted by bw99
Hi all
I've done a pretty thorough search, but please forgive me if there's been a recent thread on this..

I'm looking for an accountant in California who's reasonably familiar with the kind of tax issues a UK citizen resident in the US would face, in particular, having a rental property in the UK and split year treatment, where someone is resident in the UK for part of the year and then resident in the US.

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions about how to find such a person, I would be hugely grateful!

Thanks!
I don't know about UK, but Nancy Luke has a fair number of clients with property in Asia.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:13 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I can't personally recommend him, as I haven't used him but Pete Newton is a BE member and deals with US/UK taxes.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

bw99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for your recommendations. I will contact them both tomorrow :-)
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:26 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I can't personally recommend him, as I haven't used him but Pete Newton is a BE member and deals with US/UK taxes.
I can personally recomend Pete Newton. He helped us with our UK/US taxes . I highly recommend him.www.doug-tax.com
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bw99
Not related to accounting, but the part I bolded caught my attention. If you are a US PR and anticipate spending much of your time outside the USA, you will also want to make sure you take precautions to avoid abandoning your US PR status.

Rene
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Not related to accounting, but the part I bolded caught my attention. If you are a US PR and anticipate spending much of your time outside the USA, you will also want to make sure you take precautions to avoid abandoning your US PR status.

Rene
There are also other issues. For example, the IRS knows that certain people would like to claim that they are working outside the US for part of the year to try to reduce their overall tax burden but since you have to report worldwide income on your US tax return, that greatly reduces the possibility of someone able to do such a thing.

There may be even a bigger issue with FICA taxes. Normally FICA taxes have to be paid on worldwide earned income if you work for a US company any where in the world. If you are working in the US, FICA taxes should be paid unless you have an agreement to pay similar foreign taxes for up to five years. Splitting time between countries may possibly cause great pain when it comes to FICA taxes.

Then of course, there is the issue of how state taxes are calculated.