British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   California (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/california-502056/)

TM_001 Dec 28th 2007 2:42 pm

California

Hi All - we'll be moving over to California (probably San Jose) in March 2008. I am English and my wife is French. We'd love to hear from people who are living in San Jose or the surrounding area. We have 2 very young kids (1 girl of 2 1/2 years, and a young boy of 5 months).

Philgr Dec 28th 2007 3:25 pm

Re: California

Originally Posted by TM_001 (Post 5712479)
Hi All - we'll be moving over to California (probably San Jose) in March 2008. I am English and my wife is French. We'd love to hear from people who are living in San Jose or the surrounding area. We have 2 very young kids (1 girl of 2 1/2 years, and a young boy of 5 months).

Welcome.

Do a search on San Jose and the Bay Area - there are lots of us about and there has been lots of information posted in the past about this area. You can also look at the frappr map which is a sticky at the top of this forum to show you where some of us are.

San Jose is a great place to live if you have a reasonable income - don't limit yourself to looking for homes in SJ itself though - there are much nicer places all around the Bay Area with relatively easy commutes. The Peninsula is more expensive, East Bay is a bit cheaper and more "middle class suburbia", SF itself is more happening city life etc... so there's plenty to choose from. If you have any specific questions post away - I'm sure you'll get a mixed view in response!

Good luck.

Steerpike Dec 29th 2007 7:04 am

What line of work / what brings you over?

Poppy girl Dec 29th 2007 7:18 am

Welcome to BE
I am in Modesto but cover San Jose area every week for work.

veryfunny Dec 31st 2007 1:59 am

Welcome to the SFbay, let me know if you have any specific questions about this area.

Confused1 Dec 31st 2007 4:42 pm

Hi there:
we moved out to California in 1993, originally living in Fremont. In 1996 we moved to San Jose (the Evergreen area), and now have 2 children, ages 6 and 7. We love living where we do. It is far enough from the busy San Jose downtown area that we forget we live in San Jose, we live in an area with hills around us, and get to see cows, horses and sheep on the hills. The kids love school, have many outside activities, and in the summer live in the pool.

I must say it did take some getting used to at first, particularly before we bought our house, but now we have a life here, and I am not sure I could give up the life-style we have to return to the UK, though I often think about whether we should.

If you need any more information, just post a response with specific questions and I'll do my best to provide answers for you.

scotch03 Jan 2nd 2008 2:34 am

Welcome to the Bay Area.

Enjoy

happynz Jan 2nd 2008 2:46 am

I know of a couple liquor stores in Sunnyvale that are owned and staffed by Indian families and if you go in and chat about the cricket you will make friends for life. :lol:

TM_001 Jan 2nd 2008 12:37 pm

hi all, thanks for some of the info.

a couple of questions, if anyone can help out on this.

1) what's the best area then in commuting distance from the Palo Alto area? I was hearing it was SJ, but maybe not? we've got a decent amount (I think!) - about $4k per month on rental.

2) kids - what age do kids start going to school (kindergarden/primary, or whatever it's called)

3) ok, so i had to ask a visa question :-) I',m getting a work based visa, which will allow my wife to work as well - I think it's the L1B. what restrictions do they place on you in terms of staying in the US? I'm planning to come into the US, but ideally only be there for 2 weeks, go back to the UK to finish up some things and come back 2-3 weeks later to really 'settle in'. Any issues?

4) another visa one :-) if we are issued with an L1B, does my wife have to come into the US with me, or can she do that seperately? with kids and all, we were thinking that she can come a few weeks later than me, leaving me with all the hard work of setting up home !!!!

thanks for any responses to the above.

dbj1000 Jan 2nd 2008 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by TM_001 (Post 5729489)
hi all, thanks for some of the info.

a couple of questions, if anyone can help out on this.

1) what's the best area then in commuting distance from the Palo Alto area? I was hearing it was SJ, but maybe not? we've got a decent amount (I think!) - about $4k per month on rental.

2) kids - what age do kids start going to school (kindergarden/primary, or whatever it's called)

3) ok, so i had to ask a visa question :-) I',m getting a work based visa, which will allow my wife to work as well - I think it's the L1B. what restrictions do they place on you in terms of staying in the US? I'm planning to come into the US, but ideally only be there for 2 weeks, go back to the UK to finish up some things and come back 2-3 weeks later to really 'settle in'. Any issues?

4) another visa one :-) if we are issued with an L1B, does my wife have to come into the US with me, or can she do that seperately? with kids and all, we were thinking that she can come a few weeks later than me, leaving me with all the hard work of setting up home !!!!

thanks for any responses to the above.

You're leaving it absurdly late to educate yourself about the visa you'll be using to relocate your family across the world!

This may sound harsh, but you have no idea how many people we get on these boards who have allowed themselves to make this life-changing move without even understanding their rights and the visa they've been issued. Leaving it up to the company lawyer/HR department is insanity. Before you know it, you could be at the end of your L1-B visa (or out of a job) with a life built here in the US and no right whatsoever to stay in the country. We see it here all the time.

And no, asking questions about your visa here is not what I mean by "educating yourself". You can at least Google L1-B and find HUNDREDS of pages of information on the visa.

The good news is that, unlike the H1-B visa, it's relatively easy to adjust status from an L1-B to Permanent Residency, if you want to stay in the US longer than the maximum L1-B extension. If you plan to do that, or if you may want to work for a different employer any time in the next few years, I suggest you get a promise IN WRITING that your company will sponsor you for your Green Card.

Seriously, you're planning on emigrating in March - you need to know everything about your visa status in the US long before you pack up your family and move them across the world!

TM_001 Jan 2nd 2008 1:17 pm

I agree, in fact, as this is moving at a very quick pace, we're doing proper research but even doing that leaves some interesting gaps as there is clearly difference on opinion on certain aspects of the visa process. Most of it is dealt with already, so I'm looking more for the people's views here on the areas where I have gaps or difference of opinion.

cs2054 Jan 2nd 2008 4:52 pm

Southern CA is a great place. My brother lived there and everyone is really nice and you can't beat the weather.

Poppy girl Jan 3rd 2008 2:43 am

Originally Posted by cs2054 (Post 5730227)
Southern CA is a great place. My brother lived there and everyone is really nice and you can't beat the weather.

:eek:

Elvira Jan 3rd 2008 2:46 am

:ohmy:

if you say so... :blink:

California_Bound Jan 3rd 2008 2:48 am

Is San Jose even classed as southern California?

NorCal Power! lol

C_B