California

Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

debbie#1 will become famous soon enoughdebbie#1 will become famous soon enough
Default California

I have noticed that quite a few of you on here live out in California. It is one place I would love to visit even move to but everytime I mention it to hubby (who is american) is that is is going to drop off in the ocean because of all the earthquakes. So I guess my question is how many earthquakes do you actually get there in a day/week and does it really affect your lifestyle??
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

I've been here 2 years... I've felt 1 earthquake and that didn't upset or disturb anything from what I can tell. In short- I'm unaffected by the spate we've had here in the LA region.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbie#1
I have noticed that quite a few of you on here live out in California. It is one place I would love to visit even move to but everytime I mention it to hubby (who is american) is that is is going to drop off in the ocean because of all the earthquakes. So I guess my question is how many earthquakes do you actually get there in a day/week and does it really affect your lifestyle??
Anything up to 100 a week, but they're so tiny that we dont notice them, only the scientists.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:28 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 18 years, only the 6.8 quake in 1994 was worrying as it collapsed parts of some local freeways, luckily it was at 4AM in the morning or the death toll would have been much higher.
I'd be more worried about how you will afford a house, don't even bother coming here unless your joint income is/will be in the $120K - $150K range plus.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Been here 18 years, only the 6.8 quake in 1994 was worrying as it collapsed parts of some local freeways, luckily it was at 4AM in the morning or the death toll would have been much higher.
I'd be more worried about how you will afford a house, don't even bother coming here unless your joint income is/will be in the $120K - $150K range plus.
of course when you say "here" you mean LA county not CA in general.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're planning to live near a faultline, earthquakes are likely to be the least of your worries about living in CA.

But living here costs an arm and a leg: houses cost mega-$$$ and taxes are high (state, property + sales taxes :scared: )

And don't move to LA unless you luve driving...

But the weather is nice

And it's more culturally diverse and 'liberal' than much of the rest of the US (as long as you stay clear of the Central Valley, of course... )
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:52 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
of course when you say "here" you mean LA county not CA in general.
Any major city in CA, LA, SD, SF I'm sure parts of the central coast or places like Bakersfield, San Bernardino or Victorville are more affordable but I personally would not want to live there?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Elvira
Unless you're planning to live near a faultline, earthquakes are likely to be the least of your worries about living in CA.

But living here costs an arm and a leg: houses cost mega-$$$ and taxes are high (state, property + sales taxes :scared: )

And don't move to LA unless you luve driving...

But the weather is nice

And it's more culturally diverse and 'liberal' than much of the rest of the US (as long as you stay clear of the Central Valley, of course... )
Where in CA are you? Where do you come from originally?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:56 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Where in CA are you? Where do you come from originally?

I live close to Arnie's office... But London's still home
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Elvira
I live close to Arnie's office... But London's still home
Sacramento then I guess ?? Are you here temporarily or did you mean London will always be home?
I'm off for yet another interview
Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:02 pm
Homebody

Sacramento then I guess ?? Are you here temporarily or did you mean London will always be home?

Who knows! USCIS cr4p and all that...

But London is my emotional home if nothing else.

Good luck with the interview - keeping fingers crossed!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in CA for 10 years, plus 1 year in Michigan. The Michigan thing was unplanned - long story. But I eventually got back to CA.

I've felt 2 earthquakes since I've been here, but I didn't realise either of them was an earthquake until the "natives" explained it to me. So no, I haven't experienced a big one yet.

Yes, CA suffers from earthquakes. Problem is they are totally unpredictable - but you know they are coming eventually. Personally, I prefer this to hurricane season, which happens predictably every year.

And speaking of earthquakes, I've just decided to take out earthquake insurance this year, what with Katrina and everything, plus the vast majority of my estate is tied up in the house. I took out a standard policy which has a 15% deductible, and comes with $75k contents coverage (which is an extra fee - standard is $5k coverage). Cost me $2400. And reading the fine print, this does not cover me for consequential damages. So say an earthquake occurs, damages the house, then causes a fire. The earthquake policy does not cover the damage by the fire

Oh well, welcome to CA.

Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I wish someone could predict when the "Big One" is going to hit. My house value will soar once California falls into the sea and I get ocean front property.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:57 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: California

Ive only been out here 13 months so perhaps im not the best person to respond, as ive only felt 1 small tremor - no proper quakes yet!

Ant
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:57 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: California

How did the interview go?

Ant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.