British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cadbury update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cadbury-update-780202/)

Mallory Dec 10th 2012 10:04 pm

Cadbury update

I was in Sears today in the Lands End department. Went up to the cash register to pay, and lo and behold on the counter were three boxes of Cadbury's chocolate for sale. They had plain, Caramello and Fruit and Nut. Turned them over and looked - made in Bourneville, UK! New easy open wrapping, so looks very new. $2.99 a bar - had my fruit and nut bar eaten before I left the mall! :thumbsup:

MattySD Dec 10th 2012 10:32 pm

Re: Cadbury update

This is very interesting in the context of what I've posted before in the thread below:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=770678&page=4

I still have a lot of unanswered questions about the future of the Cadbury brand in the USA. We know that (1) in 1988 Hershey bought the rights to manufacture and distribute Cadbury branded chocolate in the USA and (2) that contract was for 25 years and so will expire in 2013. What I don't know is what happens at the end of the 25 years - when I say that it will automatically return to Cadbury, now Mondelez, I'm only making an educated guess, I don't have any more information as nobody else is talking about it. Also I have no idea what will happen to the Peter Paul brands Mounds and Almond Joy and York's Peppermint Patty as they also are covered under this 25 year contract (however internationally rather than just the US). Does anybody have any sources that can clarify what will be happening?
Caramello is a particular surprise - it's not sold in the UK, so if Cadbury/Mondelez are now selling UK made bars in the US then this should be a cause for cautious celebration. Was the plain chocolate branded "Royal Dark" or "Bournville"?

Mallory Dec 10th 2012 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by MattySD (Post 10426588)
This is very interesting in the context of what I've posted before in the thread below:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=770678&page=4

Caramello is a particular surprise - it's not sold in the UK, so if Cadbury/Mondelez are now selling UK made bars in the US then this should be a cause for cautious celebration. Was the plain chocolate branded "Royal Dark" or "Bournville"?

Not Royal Dark, just regular plain dairy milk. Wrapper is different, and new looking.

joto Dec 10th 2012 11:05 pm

I saw some Cadburys in the local supermarket today. It was in the new looking wrappers and was hopeful of an improvement, but I turned the choccy over and it was still the made by Hershey crap. I was so disappointed. :frown:

MattySD Dec 11th 2012 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 10426614)
Not Royal Dark, just regular plain dairy milk. Wrapper is different, and new looking.

Ah - OK - I got confused when you used the word plain. Do Brits still call 'dark' chocolate 'plain' chocolate or has that died out?

celticgrid Dec 11th 2012 3:24 pm

Just to note that Wegman's have Cadbury selection boxes piled high. Over-priced, but made in the UK.

They also have Nestle Milky Bar selection boxes. Even more over-priced than the Cadbury ones.

yellowroom Dec 11th 2012 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by MattySD (Post 10427802)
Ah - OK - I got confused when you used the word plain. Do Brits still call 'dark' chocolate 'plain' chocolate or has that died out?

I do, but I don't know whether it's a regional thing, or generational or what (from a middle-aged northerner).

tinaflorida Dec 17th 2012 4:47 pm

I still say "plain" for dark chocolate.

Right then, I'm off to Sears for lunch! :D

Bink Dec 17th 2012 8:23 pm

Nice to know, but very expensive. I've just brought a whole suitcase (literally) back with me from the UK. Best part is that one of my friends works for the Cadbury division of Kraft, so it was all free! :)

Sorry, I'll disappear now...! :getcoat:

The bad news for me is that my wife has no succomed to the fact that British Cadbury's is superior to American chocolate, so I have to share it with her...

Jscl Dec 18th 2012 4:13 am

Went to our Sears (California) and alas, the Cadburys there are still manufactured in the US. They have a bigger "under license" from the UK emblem which is a bit misleading, but they're still the US versions. Sadly.

Bomjeito Dec 20th 2012 3:04 am

Yup, made by Hershey under license. The front of the bar does have the Queen's stamp and Bourneville, however on the back...Hershey.

Still didn't stop us from buying 3 Dairy Milk and 3 Carmello, just to check.

:( I wonder if hubby's work really knows why he takes those trips back home...he comes back with chocs and Boots products.

Mallory Dec 20th 2012 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bomjeito (Post 10443065)
Yup, made by Hershey under license. The front of the bar does have the Queen's stamp and Bourneville, however on the back...Hershey.

:( I wonder if hubby's work really knows why he takes those trips back home...he comes back with chocs and Boots products.

On the back of mine, on the East coast, it says made in Bourneville, UK. Doesn't mention Hershey. Bought another one yesterday.

redarmy990 Dec 20th 2012 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bomjeito (Post 10443065)

we can buy boots products at our local target.
they have a special boots section.i dont get to use it though as its all womens make up and other beauty products