Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CA SDI and PFL but moving back to UK

CA SDI and PFL but moving back to UK

Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default CA SDI and PFL but moving back to UK

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help. I am due Baby2 mid June but am also in the process of moving back to the UK at the start of August. I think at that time I will still be entitled to some disability/paid family leave payments from the good state of CA. Does anyone know how it goes if I claim and it overlaps with when I've already moved back to the UK? We are going to need every penny we can but I don't want to claim something and regret it later...

Thanks!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CA SDI and PFL but moving back to UK

Are you employed by the state of California or are these public benefits?
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

These are public benefits.

My employer portion won't run for as long as the State benefits do. (California is pretty generous for mat leave)
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Are you employed by the state of California or are these public benefits?
California has a state run disability insurance program for short term disability coverage. Every worker in the state for the most part pays into it with premiums deducted from your check.

Its actually one thing I did not mind paying for, it's nice knowing you have some protection and insurance in the event of a medical problem.

Premiums are pretty reasonable as well.

"The State Disability Insurance (SDI) withholding rate for 2015 is 0.9 percent. The taxable wage limit is $104,378 for each employee per calendar year. The maximum to withhold for each employee is $939.40."

http://www.edd.ca.gov/disability/

You will want to call the state office that deals with SDI and ask about benefits and eligibility once you leave California.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 22nd 2015 at 11:00 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks I will do. I think I was unsure if it'd be different because it automatically runs for a set number of weeks after birth so I wouldn't need constant doctor referrals or anything .

You get 4 weeks pre-birth then (if you want), another 6 weeks for a vaginal birth (9 for C-section) followed by 6 weeks of paid family leave to bond with the baby. It comes out at 55% of your salary up to a certain max.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey View Post
Thanks I will do. I think I was unsure if it'd be different because it automatically runs for a set number of weeks after birth so I wouldn't need constant doctor referrals or anything .

You get 4 weeks pre-birth then (if you want), another 6 weeks for a vaginal birth (9 for C-section) followed by 6 weeks of paid family leave to bond with the baby. It comes out at 55% of your salary up to a certain max.
55% of pretax income up to a certain limit AFAIK.

I can't really help with your question. You should ask your HR contact.