Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CA driving test requirements

CA driving test requirements

Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default CA driving test requirements

OK, so we have our practical driving tests booked for tomorrow, plan was to take it in our rental car, but instead we ended up buying a car at the weekend (got a prius - so very Californian now ), thus we returned the rental car. It states in the DMV handbook that the car must have front and rear license plates, we have neither as its newly registered, but we do have the bit of paper from the dealership in our windscreen that has been sent to the DMV and it is acting as our temporary identification. Do you think this will suffice? or do you think they wont let us take the test?
Cant call them as they are shut today, and the test is at 930 and 1010 in the morning.
I guess the worse that will happen is they make us rebook it
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: CA driving test requirements

I doubt the license plate issue will be a problem as long as the car is registered (enforcement of the two license plate rule is rare anyway). Do make sure you have proper proof of insurance, however. That is a common reason for people to be turned away.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Originally Posted by wordfool
I doubt the license plate issue will be a problem as long as the car is registered (enforcement of the two license plate rule is rare anyway). Do make sure you have proper proof of insurance, however. That is a common reason for people to be turned away.
Thanks, yes have full insurance, we werent allowed to leave the car lot without it. Ive printed out all the paperwork to take with us for the insurance. Along with the H4 stuff saying im not entitled to a SSN!! Hopefully they will accept that if i pass, as the initial guy was quite rude saying i cant be issued a license without one, i also have the CA DMV page stating i dont need a SSN to get a driving license.

Will report back tomorrow.....
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:59 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

good luck~
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
Thanks, yes have full insurance, we werent allowed to leave the car lot without it. Ive printed out all the paperwork to take with us for the insurance. Along with the H4 stuff saying im not entitled to a SSN!! Hopefully they will accept that if i pass, as the initial guy was quite rude saying i cant be issued a license without one, i also have the CA DMV page stating i dont need a SSN to get a driving license.

Will report back tomorrow.....
I am also here on a H4 but when I first went to BMV here in Indiana they wouldn't let me do the written test as I didn't have a SSN with my married name on it. (Got a SSN when I was a student here) I had to get a letter from the SSA saying I am not allowed a SSN. Hopefully California will be a bit more flexible! The test itself is a piece of cake! I had to drive round the block and do a parallel park in a road with only 1 other car in it! Best of luck but I don't think you will need it!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Lacroix is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Having done the written test and the driving test (by the way book the driving test soon as you have the written pass as it takes a while). We had a new car and as long as you have the insurance document and the purchase details of the car you will be fine. Also make sure you take your passport with you. They will take your photo which will be in your final licence so make sure you don't go for a run and have a very unflattering pic (like me!). The driving test is SO EASY but you have to remember to drive ten to two!!! Good luck, hope this helps.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lacroix
Hi,
Having done the written test and the driving test (by the way book the driving test soon as you have the written pass as it takes a while). We had a new car and as long as you have the insurance document and the purchase details of the car you will be fine. Also make sure you take your passport with you. They will take your photo which will be in your final licence so make sure you don't go for a run and have a very unflattering pic (like me!). The driving test is SO EASY but you have to remember to drive ten to two!!! Good luck, hope this helps.
Good Luck!

The driving test is easy; the written test contains some questions that, if you were to answer them wrongly, should result in a lifetime ban from driving ... BUT - some questions are tricky, such as, "what is the shortest stopping distance when driving at 50 mph a) x feet, b) y feet, c) z feet" Now, my memory isn't as good as it used to be and so I can't remember the numbers any longer. There are enough of those types of questions that you can get a few wrong and you can only get a small number wrong in total without failing. Tip - if you don't know the answer, err on the side of caution; my tester gave me leeway on one question because she said 'technically, you were wrong but you were wrong on the 'safe' side, so I'll let you have it'.

Regarding driving at '10 to 2' - these days it's regarded as ok to drive at 'quarter to 3' due to airbags. EVERYONE should always drive that way anyway; driving one-handed, or with both hands at the bottom of the wheel, is to reduce your chances of avoiding an incident in an emergency. Doesn't look cool but may save your life.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck. I have mine in a few months so all this stuff to look forward too...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

All done - we both passed

Felt like i was out on the exam for ages, but was only out 10 mins

The appointment system is a shambles, my appt was 930 and hubbies 1010, i joined the queue and finally left the lot with the instructor at 1040, hubbie was ready to cancel his as by that time there were another 10 cars waiting, as we were both using the same car, i told the examiner this, and she let my husband get in the car when i had finished and took him out to save him waiting Much to the annoyance of the people in the queue, but then he had already queued once with me
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

The appointment system is a shambles, my appt was 930 and hubbies 1010, i joined the queue and finally left the lot with the instructor at 1040, hubbie was ready to cancel his as by that time there were another 10 cars waiting, as we were both using the same car, i told the examiner this, and she let my husband get in the car when i had finished and took him out to save him waiting Much to the annoyance of the people in the queue, but then he had already queued once with me
Congratulations!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

Congrats. A one hour wait when you have an appointment is par for the course with most DMV offices in the state unfortunately. The chaos, queues and packed waiting area in my local DMV reminds me of third world countries... which perhaps California is on the way to becoming
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent. You're now a real person in the eyes of California

For the record, my both my local DMVs were fabulous. Appointment time was kept. Very slick operation.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Congratulations!
I made sure I chatted up the instructor (young guy) with my 'cute' British accent before driving anywhere, but then wondered if it would backfire by him testing me for longer. Clearly I didn't impress him that much since I literally just drove around the block.
I found the written test much harder (well, it's all relative) since they had a few completely random questions about weight limits in flat-bed trucks etc.

Anyway, looking forward to you making the trip over to Half Moon Bay (if you haven't already) with the woofs. Currently in Sydney for 6 weeks. LIfe is tough!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jackattack
Congratulations!
I made sure I chatted up the instructor (young guy) with my 'cute' British accent before driving anywhere, but then wondered if it would backfire by him testing me for longer. Clearly I didn't impress him that much since I literally just drove around the block.
I found the written test much harder (well, it's all relative) since they had a few completely random questions about weight limits in flat-bed trucks etc.

Anyway, looking forward to you making the trip over to Half Moon Bay (if you haven't already) with the woofs. Currently in Sydney for 6 weeks. LIfe is tough!
Havent ventured over that way yet!! Sydney sounds nice, so you are avoiding all this rain then. Shout when you are back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.