Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CA Driving License with expired UK Passport

CA Driving License with expired UK Passport

Old May 8th 2004, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Mercuryrules is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CA Driving License with expired UK Passport

Hello, I'm new to this forum and have a question.
I've been in the states for 4 years and unfortunately I've overstayed my visa and also my passport is expired. I'm thinking of visiting California and I'm wondering if it will be possible to obtain a driving license there.
I'd be grateful if someone could share their experience or had any advice to give.

Last edited by Mercuryrules; May 8th 2004 at 4:06 am.
Old May 8th 2004, 4:20 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CA Driving License with expired UK Passport

Originally posted by Mercuryrules
I've been in the states for 4 years and unfortunately I've overstayed my visa and also my passport is expired. I'm thinking of visiting California and I'm wondering if it will be possible to obtain a driving license there.
I'd be grateful if someone could share their experience or had any advice to give.
If you are referring to SB 60 - the bill signed by former CA Govenor Gray Davis on September 5, 2003 allowing illegal aliens to obtain driver's licenses - it was subsequently repealed by Govenor Schwarzenegger on December 1, 2003.

There is a bill - SB 1160 - currently introduced by State Senator Gilbert Cedillo on February 4, 2004, however if passed it would still require the applicant to show proof of CA residence and the provision of either a Social Security number or taxpayer identification number.
Old May 8th 2004, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

nojbor is an unknown quantity at this point

...when u say unfortunately overstayed visa...what kind of visa did u have in the first place
Old May 9th 2004, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by nojbor
...when u say unfortunately overstayed visa...what kind of visa did u have in the first place
Oh, it was a J-1 visa, valid for 18 months initially. So I'm 3 approaching 4 years overstayed.
Old May 9th 2004, 3:12 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Oh, it was a J-1 visa, valid for 18 months initially. So I'm 3 approaching 4 years overstayed.
Darn. Water under the bridge now but you could have gotten your DL whilst your J-1 was still valid? Or at least a state ID card.
Old May 9th 2004, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Yea , i suppose i could have. Right now I'm in the mood to go anyway and chance it, perhaps i could obtain a "provisional type" this happened last time i was there, pre-9-11.
The way things are looking now i may be in the last phase of my stay in this country. I've seen a laywer and it seems that my best bet at getting legal would be through marriage (though recently i saw a statistic saying that roughly 50% of these type of marriages i.e. us citizen to illegal do not go through) so even that may not be a sure route.
Old May 9th 2004, 1:42 pm
Howling at the Moon

Yea , i suppose i could have. Right now I'm in the mood to go anyway and chance it, perhaps i could obtain a "provisional type" this happened last time i was there, pre-9-11.
The way things are looking now i may be in the last phase of my stay in this country. I've seen a laywer and it seems that my best bet at getting legal would be through marriage (though recently i saw a statistic saying that roughly 50% of these type of marriages i.e. us citizen to illegal do not go through) so even that may not be a sure route.
I didn't mean to sound harsh btw. I know a few J-1 "overstays", one of my best friends came on a J-1 and is a political assylum applicant.

They are all young (early to mid twenties), with 4 year degrees and for the most part did not want to return to their home countries because, once ineligible for the J-1 their chances of ever getting a visa to leave their home countries again (except to a very limited number of countries) were slim to nothing without coming from a very wealthy background. Also they just plain love it here. I'm not condoning their action, which is illegal but I cannot imagine life in their shoes and do not judge them. I overstayed from the VWP myself afterall! Although for different reasons.

The statistic you saw may include people who EWI'd (Entered Without Inspection), which is a different can of worms to adjust from than someone who entered legally and overstayed. I'd trust your attorney's advice rather than some random statistic
Old May 10th 2004, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Yes, thanks for clearing up that statistic, it seemd a bit extreme. The reason I'm in this boat is the one you gave, i.e. I was under the strong impression that the J-1 made it very difficult to return anytime soon.