Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CA drivers license hassles for wife.

CA drivers license hassles for wife.

Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Ben0 will become famous soon enough
Default CA drivers license hassles for wife.

Hi,

We have been in SoCal for three months on an E3 visa.
I got my SSN 1 week after arriving. Wife (and kids) are on E3D's and as such do not qualify for a SSN.
Both wife and I passed all driving tests. I got my license, she did not.
Reason given by DMV is that because she does not have a SSN, she can not be verified..... So no drivers license.
When pushed a little, they contacted Department of Homeland Security, and they said they could not verify her identity either.

Has anyone had this problem or something like it?

How do we fix it?

Thanks.

Ben.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: CA drivers license hassles for wife.

I made 5 trips to dmv with varying documentation which changed each time i went. You definatley need to go to SS office and they will give her a letter stating she is not able to get a ssn.

i got this letter but ultimatley was sent to regional office in denver and had to take all my paperwork passport , visa etc with me this was in turn sent to dept of homeland security who verified my visa about 8 weeks later i got a letter asking me to go to the dmv regional office again (about 2 hrs drive away) and they gave me a authorization letter to take to local dmv who then still reluctantly gave me a dl .lol.
This was in Colorado and on a H4 who is also not able to get ssn

Good Luck
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on a H4...don't remember this problem but different state etc. Does your wife have an ITN tax number ? I used to use this when anywhere got picky about me not having a ssn.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately you will have to bite the bullet and get your wife work authorization. There is no need for her to work but she will need the work authorization to get her SSN. She is eligible to get an SSN so she won't be able to get a letter stating that she is ineligible to get the SSN.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

We are here on L1/L2 visas - I got my licence without an SSN and so did my daughter - who is not eligable for an SSN. We actually never got asked for one at all - BUT i know a couple of other girls who did get asked at the same office.. Unfortunately no rhyme or reason - like so many things here
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:16 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben0
Hi,

We have been in SoCal for three months on an E3 visa.
I got my SSN 1 week after arriving. Wife (and kids) are on E3D's and as such do not qualify for a SSN.
Both wife and I passed all driving tests. I got my license, she did not.
Reason given by DMV is that because she does not have a SSN, she can not be verified..... So no drivers license.
When pushed a little, they contacted Department of Homeland Security, and they said they could not verify her identity either.

Has anyone had this problem or something like it?

How do we fix it?

Thanks.

Ben.
The DMV contacted the Dept of Homeland Security? I don't think so. Sure, they may have said they did (DMV are a bunch of lying bastards when it suits them) but I'm 100% certain they did not.

Go to another DMV branch (ones in larger cities are better than ones in small rural towns) and try again. If issues arise, move ALL THE WAY up through their chain of supervisors.

Many, many people here have run into this kind of crap from the DMV. If your wife does not qualify for a SSN then there should be a provision in state DMV rules (they differ from state to state, so I hesitate to say this with certainty about CA) allowing her to either swear an oath to that effect, or get a letter from Social Security saying she's not entitled to an SSN, and that should be sufficient.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:50 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Social security number (SSN) requirement
The Social Security Act allows any state to use the SSN to establish the identification of an individual. The California Vehicle Code requires the collection of the social security number.

All applicants must submit to DMV their social security number. Evidence of your social security number is required only on applications for an original commercial driver license and any request to correct a SSN that is already on the driver record data base, regardless of the class. The SSN is considered confidential and will not appear on the photo license or be encoded on the magnetic stripe. Any documents that the department is authorized to release to the public will have the SSN masked. The SSN is electronically verified with Social Security Administration while you are in the DMV office for all DL/ID card transactions, if it has not already been verified.

The only documents acceptable for SSN verification are originals of the following:

Social Security Card (cannot be laminated)
Medicare card
U.S. Armed Forces Identification Cards:
Active-DD 2
Retired-DD 2
Reserved-DD 2
Dependent-DD 173
Military separation document-DD 214
Exception to the SSN requirement:

If you are legally present in the US, but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from SSN requirements. However, you must still provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence document for any DL/ID card application OR provide a valid SSN.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Why isn't she eligible for an SSN? She can work with an E3D...?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:06 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this helps also I can't just paste the link the page goes on forever.
But this information is on the dmv.gov.ca site

Birth date verification and legal presence requirements
The issue of identification reliability, integrity, and confidentiality is of prime concern to all citizens. Eligibility for government services, issuance of various licenses, assessment of taxes, the right to vote, etc., are all determined through evaluations based on identification documents. It is critical that identification documents be authenticated and accurate in identifying each individual. The California driver license and ID card have been declared as primary identification documents in this state by the California legislature.

State law requires every applicant for an original California identification (ID) card and driver license to show verification of birth date and proof of legal presence within the United States to help safeguard the accuracy and integrity of departmental documents.

If your current name no longer matches the name on your birth date/legal presence document, see "True Full Name" and "How to Change Your Name" for more information.

Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable:

US Birth Certificate
US Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad
Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree
INS American Indian Card
Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory
US Passport
US Military Identification Cards (Active or reserve duty, dependent, retired member, discharged from service, medical/religious personnel)
Common Access Card (only if designated as Active military or Active Reserve or Active Selected Reserve)
Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
Northern Mariana Card
INS US Citizen ID Card
Permanent Resident Card
Temporary Resident Identification Card
Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate
Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)
Certification from California Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority
Employment Authorization Card
Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit
Refugee travel document
"Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport
Valid I-94 stamped "Refugee," "Parole or Parolee," "Asylee," or Section 207, Section 208, Section 209, Section 212d(2), HP or PIP
Immigration judge’s order granting asylum
Certified court order or judgment issued from a court of competent jurisdiction.
Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence"
Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition)
Mexican Border Crossing Card with valid I-94
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:36 am
Just Joined

AndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really nice

Since she doesn't qualify for an SSN have you looked into getting her a TIN. My husbands ex wife had one as she still needed to file taxes (or rather we needed to for a year that they were still technically married but she pissed off back to England), it looks just like an SSC but it says in big writing THIS IS A TIN. She never actually followed through on the getting the license, though I think that's because she couldn't even pass the written test.

Anyway... something to look into
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Ben0 will become famous soon enough

Thanks every one for your input.

I would have thought that her Australian passport with the I-94 should have been enough, its on THEIR list for crying out loud......

dbj1000, they may not have contacted them the first time, but we got them to fax me the sheet this time around, and sure enough, its from Homeland Security, it does not help us much, but its proof that they did contact them.
I suspect you are right in the latter, we might have to drive into LA and try there, and just not give up, its going to take some time and persistence!

I am not sure about the Tax Identification Number. Since she is not working, I dont see the need to go that way (and Im sure the IRS is no more fun to deal with than the DMV).

We dont really want to spend the 400 bucks and 3 months getting the E3D work permit, not have her work, just to get her SSN and thus drivers license.
We only have about 65 days left on her second and last extension on her driving permit, so she would have to re-sit the exams if we go this way.

We are going to the Social Security office today to see about a letter and take it from there.

Thanks for all your input.

Ben.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ben0
Thanks every one for your input.

I would have thought that her Australian passport with the I-94 should have been enough, its on THEIR list for crying out loud......

dbj1000, they may not have contacted them the first time, but we got them to fax me the sheet this time around, and sure enough, its from Homeland Security, it does not help us much, but its proof that they did contact them.
I suspect you are right in the latter, we might have to drive into LA and try there, and just not give up, its going to take some time and persistence!

I am not sure about the Tax Identification Number. Since she is not working, I dont see the need to go that way (and Im sure the IRS is no more fun to deal with than the DMV).

We dont really want to spend the 400 bucks and 3 months getting the E3D work permit, not have her work, just to get her SSN and thus drivers license.
We only have about 65 days left on her second and last extension on her driving permit, so she would have to re-sit the exams if we go this way.

We are going to the Social Security office today to see about a letter and take it from there.

Thanks for all your input.

Ben.
Ben read what I posted you don't a SSN number.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

You will need a TIN or SSN to claim your wife a a dependant on your tax returns. Getting a TIN from the IRS is straightforward

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=96696,00.html
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

madeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud of

I'm on am L2 blanket visa no work permit as yet I read who was allowed to get a ssn number about 2 minutes before we left to get it, an 2 hour conversation later I wasn't eligable according to the powers that be, hubby a veterian of 5 weeks said stuff this we will go to the office, SSn number in two weeks madam...go figure...am I the only one who feels that she is with Doctor Who and travelled back to the UK in the 1970's, onebody gives a stuff, they don't know what they are doing and supermarket trollies blast from the past, however if it envolves a car I'm lovin' it drive thro' bank, food parmacy's they need to get a little more Ozzy with drive thro off licences..
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

chrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nice

I'm out in California on a L2 visa and am just starting the process of the driving license. I have spoken to the local driving school ans they have agreed that I should be able to get a license even though I dont have the EAD, By the ay I've applied for that but have been advised that it will take at least 4 to 5 months to come through.

As the previous threads have mentioned it should be possible to get the license with your passport details, so I'm going to take a copy of the relevant bits on the website that confirms this, with me when I apply in case of problems and see what happens.

Being pretty close to senior rating out here i.e. just under 55, I'm hoping that I dont find it to difficult to sort out, most folks here seem much younger!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.