British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   CA driver's license/greencard (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ca-drivers-license-greencard-763634/)

Holliver Jul 2nd 2012 5:11 pm

CA driver's license/greencard

Hi,

When I went to the DMV to get my driver's license a couple of months ago I was told I didn't have enough time left on my I-194 so I couldn't apply. Am I correct in thinking I can only apply when I get my greencard? (Which, as I've only just started AOS could be 6months - 1 yr/2yrs/who knows!)

Noorah101 Jul 2nd 2012 5:40 pm

Re: CA driver's license/greencard

Originally Posted by Holliver (Post 10150717)
Hi,

When I went to the DMV to get my driver's license a couple of months ago I was told I didn't have enough time left on my I-194 so I couldn't apply. Am I correct in thinking I can only apply when I get my greencard? (Which, as I've only just started AOS could be 6months - 1 yr/2yrs/who knows!)

You can probably apply once you have your EAD in hand. And your SS card.

Rene

Holliver Jul 2nd 2012 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10150757)
You can probably apply once you have your EAD in hand. And your SS card.

Rene

OK good to know. Thanks

md95065 Jul 2nd 2012 11:48 pm

What California wants is "proof of legal presence" in the US.

One of the 28 possible documents listed is "Employment Authorization Card" so I believe that Rene is correct that you will be able to apply once you have your EAD and SSN.

Leyther Jul 3rd 2012 1:05 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10151281)
What California wants is "proof of legal presence" in the US.

One of the 28 possible documents listed is "Employment Authorization Card" so I believe that Rene is correct that you will be able to apply once you have your EAD and SSN.

It should also be noted that the DMV will only issue you the DL for the duration of the EAD, which will be 12 months and so once you get your GC you will need to pay the cost of a new DL.

The same applies if you will receive a 2 year/Conditional green card, your DL will only be valid for 2 years.

Holliver Jul 3rd 2012 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Leyther (Post 10151363)
It should also be noted that the DMV will only issue you the DL for the duration of the EAD, which will be 12 months and so once you get your GC you will need to pay the cost of a new DL.

The same applies if you will receive a 2 year/Conditional green card, your DL will only be valid for 2 years.

So would it be better to wait until I get my green card before getting a CA license?

RICH Jul 3rd 2012 3:55 am

It is better to have the licence now, and pay the renewal fee later, in my opinion.

fatbrit Jul 3rd 2012 4:47 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10151539)
It is better to have the licence now, and pay the renewal fee later, in my opinion.

+1

* Started the clock to lower insurance rates.
* Have the most universally accepted form of ID in the US.
* Less likely to fall foul of driving laws using UK license.

md95065 Jul 3rd 2012 6:20 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 10151596)
+1

Yes - get the license as soon as you can - the renewal fee is only $31 :blink:

Holliver Jul 3rd 2012 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10151539)

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 10151596)
+1

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10151663)
Yes - get the license as soon as you can - the renewal fee is only $31 :blink:

Brilliant. Thanks for the advice. I'll do that then. Cheers.

sarahlou145 Jul 10th 2012 2:37 am

Hey

Sorry to hijack this thread, I have a similar question. Came here on an H4 visa and got my CA driving license, it is valid until 10/10/12 which is when my H4 would expire.
We have recently received our Green Cards and I now have a SSN - do I just wait for a renewal notice in the mail from the DMV or can I go in now and renew with my GC and SSN?

Thanks
Sarah

JAJ Jul 10th 2012 3:25 am

Originally Posted by sarahlou145 (Post 10163598)
Hey

Sorry to hijack this thread, I have a similar question. Came here on an H4 visa and got my CA driving license, it is valid until 10/10/12 which is when my H4 would expire.
We have recently received our Green Cards and I now have a SSN - do I just wait for a renewal notice in the mail from the DMV or can I go in now and renew with my GC and SSN?

Thanks
Sarah

Renew now, normally. Make sure your SSN card does not carry a "no work without authorization" endorsement. If you need to get an unrestricted SSN card, do that first.

Make a copy of your license in case you don't get the old one back.

md95065 Jul 10th 2012 3:35 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 10163643)
Renew now, normally. Make sure your SSN card does not carry a "no work without authorization" endorsement. If you need to get an unrestricted SSN card, do that first.

The CA DMV shouldn't care about any endorsements on the SSN card - they just care about the number (so that they can suspend your license if you fail to pay any child support that you owe ...) - the Green Card is good for "proof of lawful presence".

sarahlou145 Jul 10th 2012 4:14 am

Thanks, I will attempt to go in this week and sort it. The joys of the DMV!

sarahlou145 Jul 11th 2012 12:49 am

All done - 2hr and 3mins from entering to exiting the DMV (with no appt). There was a bit of confusion at one point and they said i would have to re take the written test, but turns out I didnt and there was no charge :)