Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CA DL renewal problem

CA DL renewal problem

Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Question CA DL renewal problem

My CA driver's licence ran out recently. I went to the DMV in good time, filled in the revewal form, showed them my passport with my H4 visa and I-94 (which they copied), paid my fee, had my picture taken, was issued with a temporary licence and was told that the plastic licence would arrive in the mail in a few weeks.

Well it didn't, so I called them yesterday. The story I got (after 20 minutes on hold!) was that my I-94 had been faxed to USCIS for 'checking'. The guy could not tell me why this was done - said 'normally' this is only done for the first licence, not renewals.

He said that they could 'probably' issue me with an extension of the temporary licence, and that 'somebody' would call me back 'in the afternoon'. Except,of course, no one did...

Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to resolve it?

These hassles just don't seem to end...
Old Apr 21st 2005, 3:13 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CA DL renewal problem

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
My CA driver's licence ran out recently. I went to the DMV in good time, filled in the revewal form, showed them my passport with my H4 visa and I-94 (which they copied), paid my fee, had my picture taken, was issued with a temporary licence and was told that the plastic licence would arrive in the mail in a few weeks.

Well it didn't, so I called them yesterday. The story I got (after 20 minutes on hold!) was that my I-94 had been faxed to USCIS for 'checking'. The guy could not tell me why this was done - said 'normally' this is only done for the first licence, not renewals.

He said that they could 'probably' issue me with an extension of the temporary licence, and that 'somebody' would call me back 'in the afternoon'. Except,of course, no one did...

Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to resolve it?

These hassles just don't seem to end...
Have you checked the CA DMV website for information? If you can see anything on the site that shows that such a check was not necessary, print it out and call to make an appointment or at least a conversation with the supervisor of the office.

The aim is to speak or meet with one of the more senior people at your DMV office. At least that's what I'd do.

Best of luck!

NC Penguin
Old Apr 21st 2005, 4:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Have you checked the CA DMV website for information? If you can see anything on the site that shows that such a check was not necessary, print it out and call to make an appointment or at least a conversation with the supervisor of the office.

The aim is to speak or meet with one of the more senior people at your DMV office. At least that's what I'd do.

Best of luck!

NC Penguin

Oh, they acknowledged that checking with USCIS was not necessary. They say they don't know why my I-94 was faxed to them, but now that it has, they think they have to wait for a response.

I guess it's the usual US official bureaucracy nonsense where people seem to follow some real or imagined rule and then refuse to take responsibility if they got it wrong.

Imagine: waiting for a response from USCIS in respect of something which they should not even have been asked about... :scared:

I'm still wondering whether there are other people who have encountered the same problem, be it in CA or elsewhere.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:43 pm
Consistently Inconsistent

Hammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the rough

Sounds to me like an official was being over fussy. There's really no need to check with the INS on a renewal but I had my status checked when I got my licence last year.

I was given a temporary 60 day paper licence and assured I would receive my plastic card before it ran out. Well the time expired so I went to get a replacement and I was told they only issue the one. Apparantly if I had been stopped by a cop they would "understand" why I was driving around with an expired licence. More likely I would have been chucked in jail for 3 months if that had happened! Anyway I finally received it two months after the temporary had expired.

But I know what you mean about the hassles. My first licence was only issued to the end date of my EAD as I was still awaiting adjustment of status at the time. I had to renew my licence in February this year and my green card has conditional status until April 2006. This means I have to apply for removal of conditions at least 6 months beforehand, given that the INS are slower than a geriatric snail and get my drivers licence renewed again with the risk of not receiving a replacement green card beforehand. If I can't provide proof of residency they will likely reject it. Maybe I'm worrying too much but nothing would surprise me.

The red tape battles are so much fun and games for us aren't they?
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:49 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Hammo
Anyway I finally received it two months after the temporary had expired.
Are you saying you were without a licence, i.e. unable to drive, for TWO WHOLE MONTHS?

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still wondering whether there are other people who have encountered the same problem, be it in CA or elsewhere.
Similar a long while ago. Wife and I (same status) went in to AZ DMV to change the addresses on our car titles. Hers went through without a problem, whereas with mine they demanded to see my GC before they could do it. As I didn't have it on me, went back the next day to the same DMV office but got a different drone (fun, eh!), and the drone didn't even ask for my GC when changing the address. Think they make this crap up as they go along. My advice is always to try a different DMV office or drone -- brainless stubborness is a prerequisite for those who work for the govt.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:12 pm

Hammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the rough

Are you saying you were without a licence, i.e. unable to drive, for TWO WHOLE MONTHS?

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Technically yes as my temporary licence had expired. Like I said though, the womam in charge of the Driving centre in town, (only open one and a half days a week,) told me I was fine to drive on my out of date licence because new licences were so heavily backlogged, they had no option but to advise continuing to drive on the temporary.

I'm just v.glad I didn't have any reason to get pulled over by the cops and I only drove when it was absolutely necessary during that time. The local police force around here are a little bit power crazy to say the least....
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:31 pm
Homebody

Technically yes as my temporary licence had expired. Like I said though, the womam in charge of the Driving centre in town, (only open one and a half days a week,) told me I was fine to drive on my out of date licence because new licences were so heavily backlogged, they had no option but to advise continuing to drive on the temporary.

I'm just v.glad I didn't have any reason to get pulled over by the cops and I only drove when it was absolutely necessary during that time. The local police force around here are a little bit power crazy to say the least....
This is scary - did you actually get that in writing?
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:41 pm

This is scary - did you actually get that in writing?
No I didn't - stupid me huh?

Because they only open for 1 1/2 days a week, they are always busy and the woman on the front desk hurries you along. They said it wasn't possible for them to adjust the temporary licence and that the police were "fully aware" of the backlog of new licences. I was told this on two seperate occasions so I guess I just believed it.

I would definitely not do that again - I was very naive and stupid to take one woman's word for it and I'm just very lucky I didn't get stopped.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No I didn't - stupid me huh?

Because they only open for 1 1/2 days a week, they are always busy and the woman on the front desk hurries you along. They said it wasn't possible for them to adjust the temporary licence and that the police were "fully aware" of the backlog of new licences. I was told this on two seperate occasions so I guess I just believed it.

I would definitely not do that again - I was very naive and stupid to take one woman's word for it and I'm just very lucky I didn't get stopped.
Use your UK one as a back up??

Bearing in mind how contradictory some DMV rules are, it might have ben legal anyway.

The Insurance would worry me more.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

This means I have to apply for removal of conditions at least 6 months beforehand, given that the INS are slower than a geriatric snail and get my drivers licence renewed again with the risk of not receiving a replacement green card beforehand.
Hi Hammo,

I just happened to notice this bit in your post, and thought I'd let you know that you cannot apply for removal of conditions any sooner than 90 days before your CPR expires. So you can't apply 6 months beforehand...unfortunately. Just didn't want you to apply sooner and get rejected with no refund of the fee paid.

Best Wishes,
Rene