Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CA - Car and Insurance

CA - Car and Insurance

Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default CA - Car and Insurance

Hi there,

Here is the situation. I have been here not even 8 weeks. Like everyone else I had to wait for a few weeks to get the SSN and bank accounts sorted.

Last weekend I got my CA drivers permit (had to wait 3 weeks for appointment) but have to wait a further 7 weeks for behind the wheel test. I have tried all DMVs that are close to where I live and the earliest is 7 weeks from now. I want to buy a car ASAP and 99% I will need an auto loan. Although I know there is nothing stopping me from buying a car, a couple of insurance agents have said they can not sell me auto insurance as the licnese is a permit not a full license yet.

Is there not anyway I can buy a car and insure it without of course having to pay thousands of dollars?

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CA - Car and Insurance

Originally Posted by E3only
Hi there,

Here is the situation. I have been here not even 8 weeks. Like everyone else I had to wait for a few weeks to get the SSN and bank accounts sorted.

Last weekend I got my CA drivers permit (had to wait 3 weeks for appointment) but have to wait a further 7 weeks for behind the wheel test. I have tried all DMVs that are close to where I live and the earliest is 7 weeks from now. I want to buy a car ASAP and 99% I will need an auto loan. Although I know there is nothing stopping me from buying a car, a couple of insurance agents have said they can not sell me auto insurance as the licnese is a permit not a full license yet.

Is there not anyway I can buy a car and insure it without of course having to pay thousands of dollars?

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Wow! 7 weeks for a test? That is stupid, every State I have lived you can just walk in and get your test the same day. Hope you get some help.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:44 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Any help appreciated.

Regards
We bought a car before passing our tests. Insured through 21st Century (was AIG). We didn't bother with permits just used our UK license until we took the test. The insurance company were fine with this.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:49 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Wow! 7 weeks for a test? That is stupid, every State I have lived you can just walk in and get your test the same day. Hope you get some help.
California has a budget crisis and the appointments are strung out a lot. If I were OP, he might consider taking a day off, arrive at a DMV at 7:00 a.m. and get wait-list in case some-one does not show up. I recently had to go to DMV to transfer title on a car one of my offspring purchased. I had to wait in line and it took about 3 hours.

I do NOT know if they have wait-lists for driver's tests.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
California has a budget crisis and the appointments are strung out a lot. If I were OP, he might consider taking a day off, arrive at a DMV at 7:00 a.m. and get wait-list in case some-one does not show up. I recently had to go to DMV to transfer title on a car one of my offspring purchased. I had to wait in line and it took about 3 hours.

I do NOT know if they have wait-lists for driver's tests.
Maybe 'IF' you can call them, you could ask, sounds like a plan to me.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

I was working of the assumption that one needs an appointment to take driving tests and so I booked one. Yes that's right 7 weeks is the earliest in a 20 mile radios DMV offices. I am thinking of driving up north 45 miles and I hear the appintment there could be quicker!

Cheers
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by N1cky
We bought a car before passing our tests. Insured through 21st Century (was AIG). We didn't bother with permits just used our UK license until we took the test. The insurance company were fine with this.
Thanks, I remember the agent at dealer saying they can provide insurance based on overseas license no problems. I might try that for a couple of months until I get this license done?!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

If you go back and show the DMV your British license they should give you a temporary license rather than a learner's permit. That might go further with the insurers.

Geico and Progressive are good ones to try in CA for new (non)immigrants.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by henryh
If you go back and show the DMV your British license they should give you a temporary license rather than a learner's permit. That might go further with the insurers.

Geico and Progressive are good ones to try in CA for new (non)immigrants.
Bast*rds, that was the first thing I showed them. I had my Australian license ready when I walked up to the desk....she saw the license and then typed whatever she had to type and asked me to line up for the Photo and Tests. I did the tests and passed and the other lady then handed me the temporary license (I mean paper permit). That's all. Had I known I could have got a temporary license, I would have asked. There is no way they will be sending it in the mail given they did see my Australian license?

I wouldnt mind going back but gosh, for the written tests I had to wait for 2.5 weeks to get an appointment. This month, professionally is the busiest for me so day of is out of question, kinda.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

HannahP is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as you have a UK driving license then Geiko should insure you. We also got a car loan before having a CA license.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HannahP
As long as you have a UK driving license then Geiko should insure you. We also got a car loan before having a CA license.
I am not a UK expat. I am from Australia.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know where you live but I took my test in April and it was a 3 week wait in San Jose.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

So do they accept walk ins? I might just drive up north to Vacaville or whatever and get the tests done there.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

So do they accept walk ins? I might just drive up north to Vacaville or whatever and get the tests done there.
They all take appointments but I think you can walk-in and wait on standby in case someone misses their appointment. You may have a better chance of a no show in a larger DMV office (chance would seem to be greater of a no show if there are many examiners).

If you decide to wait for a no show, I'd arrive as soon as they open the office so you'd be first in line.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

You know that it's summer holidays so there are probably a greater demand for tests at this time. You still have to take a test if you have an Australian license but you don't need the learner's permit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.