British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   C1 Passport form help please, name change! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/c1-passport-form-help-please-name-change-526425/)

snowbunny Apr 3rd 2008 10:26 pm

Re: C1 Passport form help please, name change!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6155791)
Oh the Birth cert what do you reckon?

If you want one (and it may come in handy in future), why not order one from the GRO?

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...der-online.asp

You should have all the full details needed without the GRO reference but if you do not, you can PM me your name and quarter (Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct) and year of birth and I can look it up for you (I'm a family historian with paid access to the GRO records).

And as JG says, the government can obviously look you up as well. ;)

Poppy girl Apr 3rd 2008 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6155817)
No because they already have your details on file...or should I say in their computer system.;)

Cool thanks for your help, and my room-mate is a notary so she can sign the phots.

Poppy girl Apr 3rd 2008 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 6155826)
If you want one (and it may come in handy in future), why not order one from the GRO?

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...der-online.asp

You should have all the full details needed without the GRO reference but if you do not, you can PM me your name and quarter (Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct) and year of birth and I can look it up for you (I'm a family historian with paid access to the GRO records).

And as JG says, the government can obviously look you up as well. ;)

Thank you I have the Birth Cert, but its from 88 as mum lost the original and it does not have both parents names on.

Jerseygirl Apr 3rd 2008 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6155829)
Cool thanks for your help, and my room-mate is a notary so she can sign the phots.

I don't think a US notary is viable in the UK Govs eyes. Don't worry if you look recognisable from your current PP photo there is no need to get the pics countersigned. I didn't get mine signed.

The reason I said that about a notary is I had no end of problems with a US notary recently when trying to buy property in the UK. The qualifications required for a US notary is nothing like what's required to be a UK notary.

Poppy girl Apr 3rd 2008 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6155843)
I don't think a US notary is viable in the UK Govs eyes. Don't worry if you look recognisable from your current PP photo there is no need to get the pics countersigned. I didn't get mine signed.

Better still but it does say they have to be signed!!

snowbunny Apr 3rd 2008 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6155851)

Is there a British consulate in Cali? Americans overseas can get a notary/sworn affidavit service from the US consulates and embassies.

Jerseygirl Apr 3rd 2008 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6155851)

No it doesn't...not if your appearance is recognisable from your previous PP pics. It says it in the instructions somewhere. Ask Ray...this topic's been discussed several times recently.

If you do get them signed...I'm pretty sure it has to be a proff. person who has known you for a min of 2 year. ie doctor, preacher, teacher etc.

Poppy girl Apr 3rd 2008 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 6155867)
Is there a British consulate in Cali? Americans overseas can get a notary/sworn affidavit service from the US consulates and embassies.

British Consulate-General, Los Angeles
11766 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 1200
Los Angeles, CA 90025-6538
Main Tel: (310) 481-0031
Main Fax: (310) 481-2960

And Thanks Jersey ;)

Bill_S Apr 3rd 2008 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6155869)

If you do get them signed...I'm pretty sure it has to be a proff. person who has known you for a min of 2 year. ie doctor, preacher, teacher etc.

I think we can rule that one out...

cranners99 Apr 4th 2008 1:54 am

Just a couple of points:

1. Don't get a US notary to sign any part of your C1 or photos. The countersigner should be someone who has known you for at least 2 years and of good standing. Using a notary is effectively buying a signature and the Embassy will reject it.

2. Be aware that refunds are no linger given for unsuccessful or fraudulent passport applications. Previously British Citizens entitled to UK passports were subsidising time spent by staff dealing with spurious, fraudulent and ineligible applications. This will now cease, and everyone will pay the fee. What they mean by this is that you now pay for the processing of the application, not the passport itself.

3. Any original documents you send will be returned to you. Part of the application fee is for return by UPS signed for.

4. All passport applications are done through DC unless it is a genuine emergency, so don't bother the consulate in LA.

HTH,

C

Poppy girl Apr 4th 2008 2:52 am

Originally Posted by cranners99 (Post 6156401)
Just a couple of points:

1. Don't get a US notary to sign any part of your C1 or photos. The countersigner should be someone who has known you for at least 2 years and of good standing. Using a notary is effectively buying a signature and the Embassy will reject it.

2. Be aware that refunds are no linger given for unsuccessful or fraudulent passport applications. Previously British Citizens entitled to UK passports were subsidising time spent by staff dealing with spurious, fraudulent and ineligible applications. This will now cease, and everyone will pay the fee. What they mean by this is that you now pay for the processing of the application, not the passport itself.

3. Any original documents you send will be returned to you. Part of the application fee is for return by UPS signed for.

4. All passport applications are done through DC unless it is a genuine emergency, so don't bother the consulate in LA.

HTH,

C

Thank you...you have connections I take it?

Jerseygirl Apr 4th 2008 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6156581)
Thank you...you have connections I take it?

No he just read the previous posts. :lol: