Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bye-bye Green Card Lottery

Bye-bye Green Card Lottery

Old May 24th 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye-bye Green Card Lottery

Originally Posted by Steve_
Yeah it seems like a perfectly reasonable view to me.
There's nothing wrong with an immigration overhaul that moves US immigration more towards skills-based immigration. At the moment it is tilted too far towards family-based immigration (family reunification, asylum, etc.) Family-based immigration makes up about two thirds of the total (in Canada it is only one third).

However, that doesn't mean that family-based immigration should disappear completely. It also doesn't mean that the DV lottery should disappear either. The DV lottery is liked by a lot of people because they feel it helps ensure that immigration is more diverse - even though it only makes up 5% of total immigration. Besides, many DV lottery winners may be bringing in-demand skills with them anyway - or willing to learn them once they get here.
Old May 24th 2013, 5:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
There's nothing wrong with an immigration overhaul that moves US immigration more towards skills-based immigration. At the moment it is tilted too far towards family-based immigration (family reunification, asylum, etc.) Family-based immigration makes up about two thirds of the total (in Canada it is only one third).

However, that doesn't mean that family-based immigration should disappear completely. It also doesn't mean that the DV lottery should disappear either. The DV lottery is liked by a lot of people because they feel it helps ensure that immigration is more diverse - even though it only makes up 5% of total immigration. Besides, many DV lottery winners may be bringing in-demand skills with them anyway - or willing to learn them once they get here.
I think Zen10's point, or at least how I saw it, was that currently it is set up that a highly skilled immigrant might be on a visa with no immediate path to permanent residence, whereas someone who won a lottery gets a green card right away even though they may being nothing of value to the table in terms of skills.

I'm sorry for the cynicism (actually I'm not) but 'diversity' is not a valid criterion for immigration. Skilled labour and immediate family are and so future immigration reform should reflect that.
Old May 24th 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I think Zen10's point, or at least how I saw it, was that currently it is set up that a highly skilled immigrant might be on a visa with no immediate path to permanent residence, whereas someone who won a lottery gets a green card right away even though they may being nothing of value to the table in terms of skills.

I'm sorry for the cynicism (actually I'm not) but 'diversity' is not a valid criterion for immigration. Skilled labour and immediate family are and so future immigration reform should reflect that.
No need to be sorry. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But many people disagree with that view.

Also, getting rid of the DV lottery only makes a small dent in the problem. It's 5% of total immigration. You still need to make other changes to shift the emphasis away from family-based immigration towards skills-based immigration. Otherwise the US will continue to lose foreign graduates (many of whom were actually educated in the US) to other countries such as Canada.

Canada has the US ratio in reverse - i.e. Canada has an immigration system that is two thirds skills-based and one third family-based. Many companies (e.g. Microsoft) have a strong presence in Canada precisely so they can recruit US graduates who can't obtain permission to stay in the US after they graduate. Everyone knows this is crazy but getting serious US immigration reform is going to be hard.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 24th 2013 at 6:17 pm.
Old May 24th 2013, 6:53 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

No need to be sorry. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But many people disagree with that view.

Also, getting rid of the DV lottery only makes a small dent in the problem. It's 5% of total immigration. You still need to make other changes to shift the emphasis away from family-based immigration towards skills-based immigration. Otherwise the US will continue to lose foreign graduates (many of whom were actually educated in the US) to other countries such as Canada.

Canada has the US ratio in reverse - i.e. Canada has an immigration system that is two thirds skills-based and one third family-based. Many companies (e.g. Microsoft) have a strong presence in Canada precisely so they can recruit US graduates who can't obtain permission to stay in the US after they graduate. Everyone knows this is crazy but getting serious US immigration reform is going to be hard.
I redacted my apology within the same sentence

My own position is more that I don't consider it a great loss if it did go, that's all.
Old May 24th 2013, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

I redacted my apology within the same sentence

My own position is more that I don't consider it a great loss if it did go, that's all.
In the big scheme of things, it probably wouldn't be a great loss...unless you're an African or Eastern European hoping to move to the US. I think diversity in immigration is important - but I also think that diversity can be integrated into a revamped immigration system that is more skills-based. That is, you can obtain people with in-demand skills from multiple countries. At the moment we have too much family-based immigration from too few sources.
Old May 24th 2013, 7:31 pm
I have a comma problem

In the big scheme of things, it probably wouldn't be a great loss...unless you're an African or Eastern European hoping to move to the US. I think diversity in immigration is important - but I also think that diversity can be integrated into a revamped immigration system that is more skills-based. That is, you can obtain people with in-demand skills from multiple countries. At the moment we have too much family-based immigration from too few sources.
But then again, if the DV lottery only accounts for 5% of immigration as it is, why even bother keeping it?
Old May 24th 2013, 10:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

For the sake of appearance.

Regards, JEff

But then again, if the DV lottery only accounts for 5% of immigration as it is, why even bother keeping it?
Old May 25th 2013, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Some people say it at least provides some much needed diversity in the face of overwhelming illegal and family-based immigration from Mexico, Central and South America. At least DV applicants must have a high school diploma or job experience. It's not like just anyone qualifies. I don't think there's any big problem caused by getting rid of it but its supporters are only going to want to see that happen as part of sweeping immigration reform.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 25th 2013 at 12:19 am.
Old May 25th 2013, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Curtis86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
Yeah it seems like a perfectly reasonable view to me.
Because it's not just about giving to those who already have a good education and stable life a chance. It's giving opportunity to those that don't.
Old May 25th 2013, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a historical nonsense and is best killed.

So that will will not happen.