Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car.....

Buying a used car.....

Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light
Default Buying a used car.....

I'm looking at getting a car in the next couple of weeks, I'm gonna be spending $1,000 at the most, I was just wondering what paper work and stuff I'll be needing to fill out and costs ect....I'm in VA if that makes any difference, I have been looking on google but can't seem to find what i'm looking for. thanks.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car.....

For that price, I expect you are doing a private purchase and not from a dealer. Take a look at at the 'title transfer' on VA's County Clerk's website. That should be the type of process for purchasing a vehicle. (at least it is here in KY)
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
For that price, I expect you are doing a private purchase and not from a dealer. Take a look at at the 'title transfer' on VA's County Clerk's website. That should be the type of process for purchasing a vehicle. (at least it is here in KY)
thanks. Yeah I am buying it private, I went and looked at a 93 chevy truck yesterday but I have my doubts about it....the main ones being that it has no inspection and they had it running when i turned up to look at it! I'm going to see an 88 Ford tomorrow which sounds more promising
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:52 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
thanks. Yeah I am buying it private, I went and looked at a 93 chevy truck yesterday but I have my doubts about it....the main ones being that it has no inspection and they had it running when i turned up to look at it! I'm going to see an 88 Ford tomorrow which sounds more promising
Remember to figure in registration and transfer fees into your budget.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Aye, cost of plates and an inspection sticker too and probably need a form from the insurance company where you get the car photographed by a specified garage type of place, though that might just be a MA thing, for cars over 10 years of age.

Also any town excise taxes and sales taxes.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
... and insurance ...
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

i looked online and it said the insurance is only around $30 a month for me and my wife. Hopefully the extra costs won't matter to much as I will hopefully be working pretty soon!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

i looked online and it said the insurance is only around $30 a month for me and my wife. Hopefully the extra costs won't matter to much as I will hopefully be working pretty soon!
They add up though....and those quotes you get online depend on you having good credit history, if you've got none, you won't be getting those quotes....but then again for a banger that old, you're porbably only looking for state minimum level of cover.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
They add up though....and those quotes you get online depend on you having good credit history, if you've got none, you won't be getting those quotes....but then again for a banger that old, you're porbably only looking for state minimum level of cover.
I put in my social and it said that is what it would cost, I'm guessing they checked my credit......Will it be better to just add it to the policy that we have on the other car? It's a 2010 model, we could get another new one but don't want the payments every month!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I put in my social and it said that is what it would cost, I'm guessing they checked my credit......Will it be better to just add it to the policy that we have on the other car? It's a 2010 model, we could get another new one but don't want the payments every month!
It's just asking for ID, it's not really doing a proper ding on your history though, possibly a score.

If you've already got insurance from some place for something, add everything to the same thing, extra cars, house rental etc, makes it a lot cheaper.

Thing with car insurance, a lot depends on your state and the specific vin number of the car. Down my way, you can get basic quotes online, but they tend to be crap, because little things like saying you've got off street parking gets a reduction in rate, get a bigger one if it's covered parking, more for a locked garage etc. Also get a good one if you drive less than 10K or 5K a year, which usually doesn't happen, but if it's just a local grocery runner it might make it.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, I wasn't to sure about what was gonna be the best way....It's a little different than back in the UK where you just choose fully comp or 3rd party!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

You also need to check what sort of coverage they offer for the minimum quote, the minimum cover for liability out here is frighteningly low and that can really backfire if you actually need to make a claim...

If you're looking at spending a grand, you talking bottom of the barrel - it might be slightly different in VA but out here that's deep into project territory. Just be *very* careful - I've never had a problem finding a useable set of wheels for a grand in the UK but I really struggled finding anything here for that sort of money that didn't need a lot of work.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

for a grand your buying a lump of rusty crap
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray
for a grand your buying a lump of rusty crap
I got a 1988 Ford F-150 that doesn't have that much rust on it and runs really well. It has inspection on it till August next year as well. Hopefully it'll last that long!