British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Buying a used car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/buying-used-car-504433/)

MNScot Jan 8th 2008 1:29 am

Buying a used car

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a used car as we are moving so need a second car, currently have a new one on a lease but just want to buy a 2nd hand SUV to basically run into the ground over the next couple of years and not have to spend a fortune on repairs etc.

Is there anything i should be aware of when buying a second hand car here? I was going to just use dealers rather than private purchase so i assume all checks etc will have been carried out. Any thoughts or help would be great.

Ta

Rushman Jan 8th 2008 1:35 am

Re: Buying a used car

Originally Posted by MNScot (Post 5755282)
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a used car as we are moving so need a second car, currently have a new one on a lease but just want to buy a 2nd hand SUV to basically run into the ground over the next couple of years and not have to spend a fortune on repairs etc.

Is there anything i should be aware of when buying a second hand car here? I was going to just use dealers rather than private purchase so i assume all checks etc will have been carried out. Any thoughts or help would be great.

Ta

;)

http://britishexpats.com/classifieds...uct=1550&cat=5

You know you want it.

lisag8070 Jan 8th 2008 2:04 am

try Carmax, they have a wide selection of cars and SUV's..

dbj1000 Jan 8th 2008 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 5755309)

I want it!

Will you give it to me, nice guy that you are? :rofl:

Redlippie Jan 8th 2008 2:09 am

Stand in line pal. ;)

Rushman Jan 8th 2008 2:25 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 5755415)
I want it!

Will you give it to me, nice guy that you are? :rofl:

What have to got for a trade in?

(And I dont mean your missus :sneaky: )

Kaffy Mintcake Jan 8th 2008 2:28 am

Originally Posted by MNScot (Post 5755282)
Hello,

Ta

Hi there,

Consider "certified used" if you're looking at a dealer. I think of it as the best of both worlds ... you pay less than you would for a new car, but your car will carry part of its original warranty, and will have undergone a very thorough check before being placed on the market. I know Toyota does this - and I'm sure other makes probably do too.

Oh - and don't buy a Volkswagen - you'll thank me later. :)

This may be common knowledge - but just in case it's not - you don't pay the asking price here. Likely close - but do your homework and know what the car you are interested in is worth before negotiating a final price. Try Kelly's blue book, Edmunds, etc. for pricing.

Good luck!

Rushman Jan 8th 2008 2:30 am

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 5755511)
Hi there,

Consider "certified used" if you're looking at a dealer. I think of it as the best of both worlds ... you pay less than you would for a new car, but your car will carry part of its original warranty, and will have undergone a very thorough check before being placed on the market. I know Toyota does this - and I'm sure other makes probably do too.

Oh - and don't buy a Volkswagen - you'll thank me later. :)

This may be common knowledge - but just in case it's not - you don't pay the asking price here. Likely close - but do your homework and know what the car you are interested in is worth before negotiating a final price. Try Kelly's blue book, Edmunds, etc. for pricing.

Good luck!

Dont buy a Volkswagen made in Mexico you mean....the German ones are excellent.

Bob Jan 8th 2008 4:35 pm

Check the states lemon laws....they can be handy :D

oh and don't forget to factor in sales tax, because you've got to pay it on second hand cars, they sure love sticking it to ya :D

dukeynorton Jan 8th 2008 4:38 pm

Leave it on the driveway overnight to check for leaks before buying. I didnt and two days later found that my power steering rack had gone = $1000 in repairs straight away. A schoolboy error I know but I wont make the same mistake again!!!!!!!!

Bob Jan 8th 2008 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by dukeynorton (Post 5758855)
Leave it on the driveway overnight to check for leaks before buying. I didnt and two days later found that my power steering rack had gone = $1000 in repairs straight away. A schoolboy error I know but I wont make the same mistake again!!!!!!!!

you not have lemon laws out your way then? I'd have ditched it....around here if the car dies within 90 days you can get your money back, even on private sales, unless the title has the box ticked as sold for parts.

Just Jenney Jan 8th 2008 5:02 pm

Not to be confused with CarMax -- try CarFAX to check out vehicle histories:

http://www.carfax.com/

~ Jenney

mayhemuk Jan 8th 2008 5:35 pm

Do you really need the SUV? Maybe consider a pickup with crew cab as apparently you won't be caned so hard on insurance.

dukeynorton Jan 8th 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5758899)
you not have lemon laws out your way then? I'd have ditched it....around here if the car dies within 90 days you can get your money back, even on private sales, unless the title has the box ticked as sold for parts.

Not here, at least on used cars that are sold "as is".

MNScot Jan 9th 2008 1:39 am

Thanks folks! Much appreciated!

And as for the pick up, the good lady won't hear of it!!:)