Reload this Page >

Buying UK stamps in the US

Buying UK stamps in the US

Old Aug 17th 2005, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

flibiddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying UK stamps in the US

Hi all

I have an odd request. I want to send invitations to some folks in the UK and include a stamped RSVP envelope. Is there anyway of buying UK stamps here in the US? You can buy them on-line from the Royal Mail and it looks like they ship overseas but I imagine they'll come on a slow boat. Unfortunately I need them quickly.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 17th 2005, 2:57 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying UK stamps in the US

When I got married 9 years ago (the first time!) we had some relatives in South Africa we sent wedding invitations to, and they included postage-paid RSVP envelopes. My mother took care of it so I'm hazy on the details, but I remember that it was something she got from the US Postal Service. Essentially it was a stamp issued by the US Postal Service but accepted by other countries. I want to say they cost $1.00 each, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

I'll have a look online and post back here if I find it. Since this was available almost 10 years ago I would imagine it's still available now.

~ Jenney

Last edited by Just Jenney; Aug 17th 2005 at 2:59 pm. Reason: Correct a typo
Old Aug 17th 2005, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Jenney

I just called Royal Mail - their computers are down due to the worm but they indicated that it takes 3 weeks just to deliver stamps to UK customers... goodness knows how long it would take to send stamps to the USA.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 3:15 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Ok -- it took some digging, but I found it!

What you're looking for are "International Reply Coupons." They cost $1.75 each, and you include them in the invitations. The recipient then exchanges the coupon for the UK stamp(s) needed to send the RSVP back to the States. You can buy these coupons at your local US post office.

Here are some links to the International Reply Coupons FAQ (they're on separate pages, which is why I'm including separate links):

International Reply Coupon (IRC) (Characteristics, Fees and Limitations)

What are International Reply Coupons?

What is the selling price / exchange for International Reply Coupons?

To see what one looks like, CLICK HERE

Hope that helps!

~ Jenney
Old Aug 17th 2005, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Jenney - thanks - that looks like just the ticket!!!

Much obliged!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Buying UK stamps in the US

Originally Posted by flibiddy
Hi all

I have an odd request. I want to send invitations to some folks in the UK and include a stamped RSVP envelope. Is there anyway of buying UK stamps here in the US? You can buy them on-line from the Royal Mail and it looks like they ship overseas but I imagine they'll come on a slow boat. Unfortunately I need them quickly.

Thanks in advance
Don't you have any good/close friends or family whom you could send all the UK invitations to, and they can buy the UK postage themselves and you pay them back with a UK check (assuming you've got a UK account and checkbook)? Of course, whoever does this would also have to mail out the invitations too.

That's what I would do if I were in your position.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:51 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Don't you have any good/close friends or family whom you could send all the UK invitations to, and they can buy the UK postage themselves and you pay them back with a UK check (assuming you've got a UK account and checkbook)? Of course, whoever does this would also have to mail out the invitations too.

That's what I would do if I were in your position.

NC Penguin
Yeah - seems a bit much, paying $1.75 for a stamp which would only cost you about 40p in the UK...