Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying UK Music in the US???

Buying UK Music in the US???

Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:24 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying UK Music in the US???

Heavenly days!

All sorts of sites to order UK music or I would have taken hostages by now!

amazon.co.uk comes to mind, along with the Hong-Kong based cdwow.com -- ya gotta take a look at the latter sight. There are many indie labels that you can buy directly from, like http://www.cookingvinyl.com/ .

Check out:

http://www.cdzone.co.uk/
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:02 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
there's plenty of legit sites, there's the new napster, which is a good deal...then real player do one, itunes, there are loads to chose from and some do really good subscription rates...
some sites have other formats like monkey, flac etc, which aren't compressed formats, so huge, but top quality sound.

Is there anything that doesn't require pissin' about with licenses and protected content and all that entails? If it was a case of $50 and you can download 100 songs that you can play freely on anything, I'd cough up. If it's protected, I can't be bothered as it's easy on P2P.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 1:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Is there anything that doesn't require pissin' about with licenses and protected content and all that entails? If it was a case of $50 and you can download 100 songs that you can play freely on anything, I'd cough up. If it's protected, I can't be bothered as it's easy on P2P.
It's $15 a month unlimited downloads on Napster, that's a bargain if you like your music...and yes it does have some form of digital rights management, but unlike with itunes/ipod...you won't have a problem playing it on most mp3 players and be able to burn it to cd's.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:19 am
Consistently Inconsistent

Hammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
It's $15 a month unlimited downloads on Napster, that's a bargain if you like your music...and yes it does have some form of digital rights management, but unlike with itunes/ipod...you won't have a problem playing it on most mp3 players and be able to burn it to cd's.
Yahoo are doing a similar thing too from $4.99 a month if you pay for a year. Only problem is that it uses the new Janus protection system from Microsoft which isn't compatible with ipod and some other mp3 players. Might be worth a look though as they have a free 7 day trial.

http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Ebay is way cheaper.

Originally Posted by Minty
Having lived in the US now for nearly 4 months, I realise one of the things I miss is an HMV or a Virgin Mega Store for browsing and buying music.

I have not found anything here yet that even comes close (Best Buy is sort of OK ish!)

Can you buy from Amazon.co.uk and have it shipped to the US. Amazon.com is full of US music!!

I see than HMV will be starting music downloads soon which may be an answer.

What is the best way to browse and buy UK music? Any good suggestions?

Minty