British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   buying a truck/ med. insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/buying-truck-med-insurance-672690/)

audio Jun 16th 2010 11:09 am

buying a truck/ med. insurance

I have a B2 visa and I wish to spend 6 months a year in Florida as a tourist.
I will need to buy a used truck but what are the more common pitfalls buying used in the US?
If a price is advertised at say $12,000, what is the actual drive away price? I am not too sure what ‘extras’ are added apart from state tax and title.
Does the USA have an MOT or equivalent?
What sort of discount could be expected from a cash buyer?
I would like to buy a one owner but one dealer’s website advertises his vehicles for rental, so what might be a ‘one owner’ may have had 50 different drivers.
Also, I will need medical/travel insurance, I am approaching 70yrs so quotes from the UK are high. Any thoughts?

Sorry this list is long but any help would be much appreciated.

penguinsix Jun 16th 2010 12:48 pm

Re: buying a truck/ med. insurance

KBB.com will give you an idea about real cost of cars. Each state has their own department of motor vehicles -- DMV. The rules and regulations vary in each state.

Car will need to be insured. As you have no USA credit rating expect to pay through the nose

You will also need health insurance. Again expect to pay a great deal, especially if buying independently and not through a group or employer. I think $750-$1000 a month is quite likely given your age. Could be higher or lower depending on a slew of factors no one can accurately predict without your full medical history.

TimNiceBut Jun 16th 2010 4:00 pm

As to buying used, same checks apply re service history and all that. I'd run Autocheck (or Carfax, Autocheck has the reputation of being "better") on any vehicle I'd buy to check for issues like fiddled odometer or the car/truck having had an intimate moment with a tree. Also check for salvage titles, a good rebuild might be OK but it might still be bent.

Inspections depend on the state you're in, some have none, some have fairly stringent ones.

You'll probably need a local drivers license to register the car in you name and obviously a local address.

Ray Jun 16th 2010 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by audio (Post 8636313)
I have a B2 visa and I wish to spend 6 months a year in Florida as a tourist.
I will need to buy a used truck but what are the more common pitfalls buying used in the US?
If a price is advertised at say $12,000, what is the actual drive away price? I am not too sure what ‘extras’ are added apart from state tax and title.
Does the USA have an MOT or equivalent?
What sort of discount could be expected from a cash buyer?
I would like to buy a one owner but one dealer’s website advertises his vehicles for rental, so what might be a ‘one owner’ may have had 50 different drivers.
Also, I will need medical/travel insurance, I am approaching 70yrs so quotes from the UK are high. Any thoughts?

Sorry this list is long but any help would be much appreciated.

I have just the truck for you and its in florida and a private sale ..
one owner and low mileage

dealers add the usual ..tax and tags etc

you will have to get travel insurance in the UK beleve me
what they charge is cheap

Bob Jun 16th 2010 11:07 pm

Medical, there's a wiki with some links for that, but it's cheap for what it is.

As for buying, well don't know if you can get a Florida license, but insurance will be pricey without. Don't know about registering a car either as you aren't really resident, but check the DMV for that.

Don't know if Florida have a inspection on old cars, don't think they do.

Probably easier and cheaper long run to rent really.

audio Jun 18th 2010 8:58 am

Thank you all for your replies.

Audio