British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Buying and registering a car, KY (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/buying-registering-car-ky-829880/)

buckeye9906 Mar 28th 2014 8:59 pm

Buying and registering a car, KY

Hi all,
We have now moved to Kentucky on H1B visa and I wanted to get some info on buying a car here.
We have valid Australian drivers licence as well as an International permit. It is going to take atleast another 3-4 weeks for us to get a licence. Renting a car for longer periods is going to be very expensive so we would like to buy asap. Has anyone bought/registered a car while still on a overseas licence/international permit? Are there any special considerations while doing so?

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

Sally Redux Mar 28th 2014 10:12 pm

Re: Buying and registering a car

I don't think it's a problem but we did buy ours through International Autosource so perhaps that made it easier.

Bob Mar 28th 2014 11:59 pm

Re: Buying and registering a car, KY

Check the state DMV.

Most states, it isn't a problem buying a car, nor insuring it. It may or may not be a problem registering/titling one, but chances are it won't be a problem.

The IDP is worthless though.

Bluegrass Lass Mar 29th 2014 12:38 pm

Although I'm from KY originally, I've never had to face your situation. I don't think it would be illegal for you to buy & register with an international license, but you may wind up with a higher insurance premium. Also, typically a dealer is going to want to see proof of insurance before you drive it off the lot.

Your plan of action should probably be to narrow down the year, make & models you are interested in. Then find an insurance broker that can pull some quotes for you based on that general info. That way you are doing 2 things: #1 - getting an idea of what the insurance could cost you & #2 - establishing a relationship with an insurance broker so that when you find the car, you can get the insurance set up very quickly and w/minimal hassle.

It might be worth having a call around to some dealers in your area (esp if you are more rural), and talk to their people about your situation. They may/may not be able to guide you on what kind of problems you may have buying & registering.

If you are trying to finance a car, you might be better off with International Autosource as you will have next to no credit history here, which is often viewed in a worse light than bad credit.

buckeye9906 Apr 7th 2014 3:00 pm

Thank you all.
Happy to let you guys know that everything went well and we now have a car :)
Buying/registering was not a problem...they did ask to provide a proof that we can drive here (IDP was useful here).
Insurance worked out okay too...they have noted we are on IDP and we need to furnish state licence within 20 days...so thats good.
Thanks for all the input.
Cheers!

sherbert Apr 18th 2014 4:12 am

Buckeye, can you let me know which insurance company you used to get insurance with your AUS license?

Here in CA they are telling me that I need to exchange my driving license within in 30 days of arrival...exchange means retaking the test...ARGH.

buckeye9906 Apr 18th 2014 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 11224256)
Buckeye, can you let me know which insurance company you used to get insurance with your AUS license?

Here in CA they are telling me that I need to exchange my driving license within in 30 days of arrival...exchange means retaking the test...ARGH.

I went with GEICO. When I called them I mentioned that I had my IDP and valid aussie licence. They gave me a quote and said I have to provide info for valid state licence within 20 days.

Since then, I have taken all the tests (written, vision and driving) and now have the KY licence...so its all good.

Good luck!

sherbert Apr 18th 2014 10:38 pm

Thanks for this. So in any case, you needed to get your state license even if they insured your car for you with the international permit.

Also, does anyone know if I am going to be charged high rates of insurance as a 'new driver' because I have no driving records.

Finding it difficult to estimate costs. Can anyone give an idea of what I might pay for insuring a mid-size sedan (secondhand, ± 10 years old).

Thanks all!

Bob Apr 18th 2014 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 11224256)

Each state is different, so the OP's experience is going to be meaningless there.

Plus, for CA, you've got 10 days technically to get a state license. Basically as long as you're actively trying to get it quickly, you're good. Plus you can't fail the test. You really can't. Or everyone will point and laugh at you.

Bob Apr 18th 2014 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 11225168)
Also, does anyone know if I am going to be charged high rates of insurance as a 'new driver' because I have no driving records.

Yes. Also because you have no credit history.

Budget $1K per 6 months.

sherbert Apr 18th 2014 11:14 pm

Good god. We will not be leasing a car from a dealer, just buying off a private person. Do the insurance companies need to check your credit history too? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but we've never owned a car before so never had to deal with insurance.

(still laughing at our experience at the car dealer: "What kind of car are you looking for?".... "Ummmmmmmm.")

Bob Apr 18th 2014 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 11225191)
Good god. We will not be leasing a car from a dealer, just buying off a private person. Do the insurance companies need to check your credit history too?

Everyone checks your credit history, for everything.

It's why you should be budgeting $50-500 deposit for pretty much everything you want to sign up for/use. Be happy if you don't get asked for it.

About the only thing that doesn't ask for a credit check is the library...and that's only a matter of time :lol:

sherbert Apr 19th 2014 12:42 am

:cry_smile: Oh dear. California dreams...ripped at the seams!

@Bob: the nice policeman that pulled us over last week for making an illegal left turn (ooops, slap on the wrists, written warning, dumb stupid 'forrin-ers') told us we had 30 days to transfer the license.

However, husband is still waiting for his SS number so can't get a license yet anyway and I've to go to the SS office an get a piece of paper that tells me I am not eligible for an SS number so I can get my license. Let's just hope we don't get pulled over again in the next few weeks.

Bob Apr 19th 2014 2:11 am

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 11225246)
@Bob: the nice policeman that pulled us over last week for making an illegal left turn (ooops, slap on the wrists, written warning, dumb stupid 'forrin-ers') told us we had 30 days to transfer the license.

They rarely have a clue and it's up to you to know and follow the rules.

You'll want to contest this if you can as it'll appear on your license when you get one.

sherbert Apr 19th 2014 5:24 am

No, he said it wouldn't go on his record and it was just a written warning as we were driving a rental with a foreign license and obviously stupid enough to have made an illegal left turn right in front of the police car. We were lucky this time